Old 03-21-2014, 11:32 PM   #1
Two quick questions. Dry hitch weight?

I am wondering about the hitch weight on the 21ss roo. It says 635 dry hitch weight. My Tahoe hitch says 600 lbs or with a weight distributor 1000/10,000. Does that mean I could handle the 635 dry weight (plus another 60 for tanks) if I have a Equalizer WD?

Also,, which Prodigy Brake system should I get? Or is there just one kind.
I have a 2008 Chevy Tahoe\
Thanks for all your help

Sheripoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 02:44 AM   #2
Engineer of Crazy Train
Yes, you will need a weight distribution hitch. Equal-i-zer and reese are both highly recommended.

I feel any of the Prodigy controllers are good. I am using an old school voyager (90s vintage) made by the same company, so they usually work for a while.

Sent from my Samsung Note 8 Tablet using the FRF Android App!

TV - 2015 Ram Truck EcoDiesel
TV - 2006 Jeep Liberty Turbo Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
TT - 2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 01:03 PM   #3
Yes you will need a WDH, and the Equal-i-zer brand is an excellent choice. You will likely add more than 60 lbs, as the LP tanks aren't only thing that add TW. Then again, you may have some rear storage that would offset what's put in the front.

But for a 21SS, the 10,000 lbs (1,000lb TW max) is the Equal-i-zer model you want. If they made an 800 lbs model, that might work. But they don't, so we all get the 1,000 lb unit for these hybrids. Works great for me.

For brake controller, "Prodigy" is a model that used to be made by Tekonsha. I have the original Prodigy, and it's still going strong, going into it's 11th camping season. The model currently available that is comparable is actually called the Tekonsha "P2" although some still call it the "Prodigy" or "Prodigy P2".
The Tekonsha "P3" can also be had. Will perform the same as the P2 for you, but has a more user-friendly user-interface. This might be labeled "P3" or erroneously "Prodigy P3".
Either of these are fantastic bang-for-your-buck controllers, and highly recommended on any camping site. There is also a Tekonsha Primus, but you aren't going to save much money there, and you'll lose some of the P2/P3 features.
thebrakeman ('70), DW ('71), DD ('99), DD ('01), DD ('05)
2004 Surveyor SV261T (UltraLite Bunkhouse Hybrid)
2006 Mercury Mountaineer V8 AWD Premier
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:11 PM   #4
I have a prodigy 2 I am no longer using. PM me if interested.
2014 Stealth Evo 2850- "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra Rock Crawler TRD 5.7- "Clifford"
2013 Honda Accord Coupe V6 w/Track Pack- "Julia"

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote

hitch, weight