Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2015, 11:07 AM   #1
Site Team

U-Haul hitch recall

I don't know if this has been posted by a member yet. U-Haul is recalling some recent hitches, and it may affect our members if they had one installed at a U-Haul dealer.

WASHINGTON (AP) — About 162,000 trailer hitches sold at U-Haul outlets are being recalled because of weak steel that could cause the parts to break.

The recall, announced Saturday, covers two types of hitches made by Wisconsin-based Curt Manufacturing between July 2014 and January 2015 and sold under the "U-Haul Power Tow" brand. They were sold only at U-Haul stores and online.

Curt Manufacturing said a Chinese company, Shandong Jiyang Machinery, changed the way it cleaned steel during the hot-rolling process, reducing the steel's strength.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said that if owners don't also attach safety chains for the trailers, the defective hitches could mean a trailer breaking away from the vehicle towing it.

The TS1 and TS2 hitches are rated to tow trailers weighing up to 7,500 pounds, but can break near the maximum load, according to a recall report posted on the highway agency's website. The agency said no injuries or property damage has been reported to the manufacturer.

Curt Manufacturing will notify owners and replace the parts free of charge, according to the highway agency.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 11:14 AM   #2

Interesting. My brother in law works for uhaul, ill ask if he heard about this.

Im questioning the saftey chain comment cause dont the chains usually attach to the hitch?
Old 05-30-2015, 11:22 AM   #3
Site Team

Here are the NHTSA links:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs...5E035-4493.PDF

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs...5E037-2874.PDF

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 11:33 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimNJTA View Post
Interesting. My brother in law works for uhaul, ill ask if he heard about this.

Im questioning the saftey chain comment cause dont the chains usually attach to the hitch?

Likely the break away point would be where the ball attaches. The chains would attach to the hitch part that is bolted to the TV.

2012 F150 FX4 Crew 5.0
2012 Coachman Freedom Express 292BHDS (outdoor Kitchen)
Scubanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 11:25 PM   #5

may be difficult to contact all buyers. im reading this as a ball mount which may be sold over the counter for cash, not necessarily a shop installed item. furthermore, how is one to tell the date of manufacture?
Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 12:18 AM   #6
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Oh boy.......another fine product from across the pond.....love the free trade programs....I guess we don't make steel here anymore...to many bad things in our air.
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 12:49 AM   #7

here's the story as i remember it. US or American steel was going to build the plant. A design where you smelt and send it down a conveyer 2 miles long to be formed into all the products. before that it was smelted and then cooled in ingots and remelted later. the plant was over 1 billion to build and was to be built in the great lakes region. late 70's i believe. we had that oil embargo/shortage thing and they put their money in oil. China got the new design.
Old 06-01-2015, 01:03 AM   #8
Left Coast

Just my thoughts, but if there're going to let this stuff into this country, it should be top notch....or, we'll be a third world country in short order. Look at the China brand tools that Harbor Freight handles...most are throw-away, and no, I don't shop there. People with the power need to something to raise this countries standards.
Old 06-01-2015, 01:25 AM   #9

need to just start returning stuff, loading it back into containers and shipping it back. were trading land for a landfill. all these products that end up in a landfill are bought with dollars that will come back purchasing real property. we win in the long run though...yep...when climate change kicks in...we'll be high and dry on top of this landfill..
Old 06-01-2015, 01:32 AM   #10
Left Coast

Or, just sitting on my kids headboard in a earn.
Old 06-01-2015, 09:34 AM   #11

Thats urn...your earning days will be over...dont usually correct typos...couldnt pass the segway to one more perceived chuckle...forgive me...
Old 06-01-2015, 10:27 AM   #12
Left Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockett View Post
Thats urn...your earning days will be over...dont usually correct typos...couldnt pass the segway to one more perceived chuckle...forgive me...
Neckred here! Some times the (whats left of it) mine works faster then the fingers.....but you got my drift.
Old 06-01-2015, 12:09 PM   #13

ahem...I would just return any of these styles mentioned that were purchased within 3 weeks of the initial recalled manufactured date.

p.s. now your just messin' with me. its mind not mine. you propagate this stuff and we'll all be speakin' pig latin in 2 generations max...
Old 06-01-2015, 12:23 PM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

And some want foreign campers brought over to the USA to promote better qc on USA made campers................ please.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "9 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 12:55 PM   #15

Send a message via AIM to B and B
We had Glendale Titanium from Ontario but they went down in 2009 with the recession.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 12:58 PM   #16
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
And some want foreign campers brought over to the USA to promote better qc on USA made campers................ please.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "9 nights"
Ditto...LOL

Tags
hitch, recall