Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2013, 11:00 PM   #1

Under truck bed vs. in truck bed hitch mount rail... And what hitch should we get

Once again I'm checking in with the forum. We ordered a new fiver - installing the fifth airborne pin box with reese sidewinder. I want to use an under truck bed rail system so we can use more of the truck bed. DH thinks the in bed rail system is fine. The truck is rated for up to 17300lbs. I think the Reese Elite 18k hitch, we'll be able to pull something heavier should we need to and be able to use the truck bed with the under bed mounting system. DH thinks the Reese R16k is enough hitch and doesn't mind the in bed rail system. We both agree we don't need a slider since we're getting the Reese sidewinder. I'm thinking safety and options; he's thinking safety and we don't need more options. Help? Are there some better hitch options? Thanks in advance.
dj3spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:32 PM   #2
Always Learning

Personal opinion here- I didn't want to deal with rails. I use my truck for everything from landscape projects at home and family to moving furniture for myself and family. I just felt life would be simpler without rails.

However, I'm sure lots of people have rails and have no issues with it.
Old 07-27-2013, 12:40 AM   #3
Mod free 5er

Have the Reese 16K hitch with rails in the bed. No problems once I cut (4) 0.075" thick shims and took the slack out of the legs where they sit on the rails which tightened up the 4 pins holding the legs to the rails. Before I did that, there was a slight banging when stopping or starting. Once the shims were installed, no noise. I use the Reese Sidewinder Hitch and made my own wedge. Love the Sidewinder as it also allows me to use a modified Undercover hard tonneau cover while towing which covers the entire bed front to back and side to side. If I want the full bed empty, I either pull 4 pins and slide the entire hitch out and sit it on a creeper or hook up to the trailer, pull 4 pins and leave it hanging on the pin box. No problems with rails in the bottom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Driver side.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	36272   Click image for larger version

Name:	Passenger side.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	36273   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00065.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	36274   Click image for larger version

Name:	PS view.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	36275   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00061.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	36276  

Old 07-27-2013, 05:42 AM   #4
Camper Less Camping

I went with rails, have not been a nuisance when using our bed for other hauling projects

Old 07-27-2013, 09:59 AM   #5

superglide with the super rails, just remove hitch,, pull pins, bed smooth

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote