Old 05-24-2011, 09:17 AM   #1
Unhooking Sway Control Hitch

We purchased a new Surveyor TT earlier this spring and have an Equal-i-zer sway control hitch. There are times (my storage garage) when I am trying to unhook the trailer when the tow vehicle and trailer are not completely level to each other side to side, i.e. trailer is level but TV is at a small side to side slant. I could also see this happening at various campsites. When this happens I have found it to be a struggle to remove the spring arms, even with the tongue jack almost fully extended. The set-up is new and will likely "break-in" a bit but do any experienced Equal-i-zer users have any tips to help with this situation or is there a way to use the Snap-up Lever that I am not seeing?

chof16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:11 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Try removing the TV downhill spring arm 1st. The "uphill" spring will help keep some of the load off of the most difficult side. I do something similar to my Reese Dual Cam setup, when the truck is at an angle to the that case I remove the "outside" arm 1st (which carries the most weight).

Have you done weigh-ins or fender measurements to make sure you don't have the spring arms too tight ??

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2006 Ford F150 Super Cab 4x4
2008 Surveyor 263
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:33 AM   #3
The other thing you can do is unhook the bars on more level ground. I won't hurt to move the trailer without the bars attached, especially if you are just backing your rig into a spot. If I don't back into my driveway at a certain angle, I have the same problem you described. Now, I just unhook the bars in the street and then back in.
2007 Surveyor SV291
Equil-I-zer hitch
2005 Durango Hemi
gregm59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 02:01 PM   #4
A piece of 4"x4" under the jack landing pad may give you the additional lift required (without exposing the jack to max height) to make the bars removal easy. Once the bars are removed, you can drop the TT back on the TV and remove the wood under the jack.
Frank & Rita M
2008 Ford FX2 F-150 3.73 CC 139" WB w/EQ4 WDS
2011 Rockwood 2702SS
frankm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 06:47 AM   #5
Thanks for the responses and tips. I picked up the trailer and unhooked it in my driveway and things were a little easier. Definitely helps to get as much height as possible on the jack. We are headed out this weekend and the I will see how it goes when I drop the trailer back off at our storage garage.

chof16 is offline   Reply With Quote