Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2018, 07:55 AM   #1

Unsettled shamrock

Just purchased a 21' Shamrock and plan to tow it w/ 2006 F150. The drive home was somewhat unsettled - the trailer seemed to push-pull on the hitch. I am not sure how the tounge weight was set up so I will check that. I have a Ford factory receiver and used a 2" ball. I note that the user manual states a 2 5/16" ball but it seems large for the hitch - I haven't forced it but it does not fit w/ hand pressure.
Questions:
What size ball is correct for OE hitch?
What do you think of stabilizer bar hitches for this type of application? Recommendations as to brand?
JLamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 08:04 AM   #2
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLamb View Post
Just purchased a 21' Shamrock and plan to tow it w/ 2006 F150. The drive home was somewhat unsettled - the trailer seemed to push-pull on the hitch. I am not sure how the tounge weight was set up so I will check that. I have a Ford factory receiver and used a 2" ball. I note that the user manual states a 2 5/16" ball but it seems large for the hitch - I haven't forced it but it does not fit w/ hand pressure.
Questions:
What do you think of stabilizer bar hitches for this type of application? Recommendations as to brand?
FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY, DO NOT TOW AGAIN ON A 2" BALL!

It does indeed take a 2-5/16th. The ball size should be stamped on the tongue, and that's the size you use. Towing with a 2" ball means you can become disconnected at any time, and if you think it's jerking on the hitch a lot, try dragging it down the road on the safety chains.

A weight distributing hitch would be appropriate for this application, and one with sway control would be a good idea. I had a ROO 21 footer and towed with a 3/4 ton diesel Excursion, and I wouldn't go a foot without my WDH. For a 150, its pretty much a requirement. I'm partial to the Reese Straight-line hitch, but there are others that work equally as good.

BUT GET THE RIGHT BALL, NO MATTER WHAT!

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 08:50 AM   #3
Site Team

YEP
DON'T tow again until you get a 2 5/16" ball.
Shame on the dealer for letting you drive away with the wrong setup.

As Cowracer said, ball size is stamped on the tongue, near the coupler.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 11:13 AM   #4

Thanks guys. I appreciate the quick info. I have a 2 5/16" ball that I can use immediately and will order a new WD hitch shortly.
Old 05-02-2018, 11:39 AM   #5
Site Team

Also, which brake controller do you have? And what do you have it set to?
Old 05-02-2018, 01:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Questions:
He doesn’t mention he bought it from a dealer. And since when is a dealer responsible for every aspect of the purchaser’s tow vehicle, equipment and knowledge of towing?
Motorcycle dealers don’t teach a customer how to ride (with a few exceptions being organized training, I realize)
My17Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 04:43 PM   #7

Looking at the stamp on the hitch it does spec a 2" ball so I guess that was not the issue.
I have primus IQ brake controller but I did not have it installed for the short tow home. The prev. owner wasn't aware it had elect brakes.
I'm still getting a wd hitch.
Old 05-02-2018, 05:06 PM   #8

Trailer is a 2002 21 ft shamrock purchased from s private party. Hitch is stamped as 2", so that isn't the problem. Trailer gvw is only 4600 lbs.
I have a PRIMUS IQ brake controller but it was not installed for the short ride home.
Old 05-02-2018, 05:13 PM   #9

I would still do a WDH, it will help the trailer and truck move more as one unit and provide a more stable towing experience.
Old 05-02-2018, 05:13 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
I have a PRIMUS IQ brake controller but it was not installed for the short ride home.
Well, that could have easily been your problem!
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 05-03-2018, 07:41 AM   #11

How so?
Old 05-03-2018, 09:27 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
How so?
Since you had no brake controller, the trailer brakes don't work.
Your are relying solely on the truck brakes to stop.

So of course the trailer is going to behave like it did.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:29 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Since you had no brake controller, the trailer brakes don't work.
Your are relying solely on the truck brakes to stop.

So of course the trailer is going to behave like it did.

Unless they are referring to push/pull/bucking while driving down the road and the brakes aren’t being used, in which case the lack of trailer brakes isn’t the issue.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:33 AM   #14

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY, DO NOT TOW AGAIN ON A 2" BALL!

It does indeed take a 2-5/16th. The ball size should be stamped on the tongue, and that's the size you use. Towing with a 2" ball means you can become disconnected at any time, and if you think it's jerking on the hitch a lot, try dragging it down the road on the safety chains.

A weight distributing hitch would be appropriate for this application, and one with sway control would be a good idea. I had a ROO 21 footer and towed with a 3/4 ton diesel Excursion, and I wouldn't go a foot without my WDH. For a 150, its pretty much a requirement. I'm partial to the Reese Straight-line hitch, but there are others that work equally as good.

BUT GET THE RIGHT BALL, NO MATTER WHAT!

Tim
Second what Tim says. Reese has been my hitch of choice since I started towing in 1985. The fancy hitches do more for some, I have found the Reese to fit my needs (had a EZlift for one tow and returned it for a Reese)
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 10:29 AM   #15

Quote:
Questions:
I still question whether or not your using the correct ball size. Ive never seen a tandem axle camper with less than a 2-5/16" ball. 2" is pretty standard for a pop-up. Is it possible that the 5/16" is wore off and it appears to say 2"? I would double check to make sure a 2-5/16" ball won't fit. If it truly is a 2" ball, you'll never be able to get a 2-5/16" ball to fit into the hitch.
Finster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 12:57 PM   #16
Boondocking Only

I have had 2 different F-150's & they both towed my 21SSL with with no problem also always have 2 Can-Am Outlanders 4wheelers loaded. Never have had WDH just Timbrens. Never had a problem towing all over the Rocky Mountains.
Definitely a 2 5/16 ball
2010 F250 Lariat 6.8 V-10 w/Timbren SES
Custom Tunes by 5 Star Tuning
Boondocking Only
ddbck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, shamrock