Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2012, 05:05 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Johnson View Post
I feel kind of spoiled. My trailer has a 40 gallon fuel tank under it, and a fill station on the side. I'd have to unhitch to get the gas into the truck though.

My compromise is to carry an extra 5 gallon fuel jug in the bed of the truck.

But still, truck and trailer fully loaded is just to close to max GVWR to be comfortable, for me anyways.
Wow, sounds like a cool feature on your trailer, my unfortunately does not have that. I think I am going to go the way of an extra can or two, just trying to decide what kind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamgl View Post
Having suffered through a double hernia - toting that much weight does not sound appealing. I've opted for dual jerry cans - they are still made. Check out Wedco or Briggs and Stratton.

below is a photo of my cans in use. (the birds were from a private hunting club)
I did look at some jerry cans like that, but I was concerned about having to hold them up while dumping them in the tank. How do you deal with that? Is is difficult?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
I would forget the extra tanks of any kind, due to the safety issue mainly. Someone flipps a cigarette in the bed,etc and

Also, my orthopedic surgeon told me that EVERYONE should only drive around 2-3 hrs and stop and get out of the vehicle and if nothing else, just walk around the vehicle and then go again. Just sayin!
I understand the concern, but the cans are approved for transportation, I have a cover on my truck bed, and I do not smoke, nor do those I travel with.

Regarding taking breaks I agree about taking them every 2 -3 hours. My concern is running low on fuel in an area without a gas station, or being able to be a little more choosey about the stations either due to cost, or due to difficulty getting in and out of the station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snjparham View Post
I mounted and strapped a 12 gal poly tank in my tool box. Connected through a universal fuel pump and solenoid safety cut off. Wired it in to a switch under my dash. When I hit 1/2 tank turn on and 20 minutes later transfer complete. The gas dumps through a custom tee tied into my fill line. $300 total for the mod.
I like the sound of that. It sounds just like the Transfer Flow bed mounted kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ng2951 View Post
When I had the Tacoma I carried 3 cans in the bed of the truck...mostly for the genset. However, it also allowed me to bypass the more expensive gas stations without worry.

I now have a diesel and GMC in its infinite wisdom has a 26 gallon tank. I wish it had at least another 6-7 gallons.

When I go to Wyoming this summer, I am bringing 2 cans of diesel. I don't plan to use them until I start coming home, but I don't plan to come up short on fuel.

As for swelling gas cans, they do swell a lot in the high deserts but I never had any problems with them. You need to remember is that vapor lowers the performance of the gasoline. Not a good thing, but all things considered, with good caution not a dangerous thing either.
Thanks for addressing the swelling cans. After I asked the question I found a video from the company that addressed it sort of. Basically, it said to be sure that the vent cap is closed and the hose shut off valve is closed for transportation. So I guess if they are approved and I follow their steps I should be good.

Thanks everyone for the information. I have written off the idea and cost of a Transfer Flow Tank. While the benefit of not having to stop is nice, $1000 sure can by a lot of fuel.

I've narrowed it down to (1) 15 Gallon Poly Caddy, or (2) 5 Gallon Jerry Cans.

My concerns are how difficult it is to empty the Jerry cans into the truck, verses being able to stand up the Poly Caddy on the Tailgate and let gravity works its magic through the hose. I figured the cost will be about the same for two decent Jerry cans or one 15 Gallon Caddy.

Any thoughts on the caddy vs the jerry cans?
Kf4mnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:30 PM   #22

Quote:
...Thanks everyone for the information...While the benefit of not having to stop is nice, $1000 sure can by a lot of fuel...
Not as much as it use to. Keystone please...
Quote:
...(1) 15 Gallon Poly Caddy, or (2) 5 Gallon Jerry Cans...Any thoughts on the caddy vs the jerry cans?
I put the generator's boat tank on the trunk and it empties in under 20 minutes by siphon action. It is probably less time than that but I wasn't standing by with a stopwatch. I know just gravity feeding the gas tank (upending the can) took just a couple of minutes.

There are some small, dc powered fuel transfer pumps that will make it faster. The nice thing about 5 gallon cans is that they will be much lighter than the 15 gallon Poly Caddy.
'07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Diesel 4x4
Why I got into RVing & More Fun
ng2951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:10 PM   #23

First thing I did when I purchased my 2011 250 Super Duty diesel, was replace the 27 gallon tank with a Titan 50 gallon tank. Not cheap but just the piece of mind alone, makes it well worth the cost. I rate it as one of the best mods I've done and I've done quite a few.
2011 Flagstaff 8528RLWS 5th Wheel
Reese Sidewinder Hitch 2002 Road Star Warrior
SouthWest Florida FROG
Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:58 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
First thing I did when I purchased my 2011 250 Super Duty diesel, was replace the 27 gallon tank with a Titan 50 gallon tank. Not cheap but just the piece of mind alone, makes it well worth the cost. I rate it as one of the best mods I've done and I've done quite a few.
This is exactly what I thought about doing as well, but got a kid instead. It seems silly to me that auto manufacturers would put such a small tank in diesel driven rig. Oh well, I guess that old saying remains true...'when you want something done right, you just have to do it yourself.'
2012 reserved/camped (17/4)

RonLynnJr is offline   Reply With Quote