Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2012, 07:40 PM   #1

Upgrade Fuel Tank

Wife and I are traveling out west this summer with my 08 Tundra and Coachman Catalina. We get around 10 mpg. The problem is. My tank is only 26 gallons so that makes my max range of 260 miles. We are contemplating upgrading the tank to a 46 gallon Transfer Flow Tank, but the cost is over $1000, which could be a lot of gas. We will be heading to Yosemite, Grand Tetons, and Glacier National Parks.

So, my questions are what do those of you that have gone on long trips think?

Is the cost worth the benefits of longer range and the ability to stop when we want and not when the gauge says?

Are gas stations pretty far apart that the extra gas could be necessary?

Thanks in Advance,

Chris
Kf4mnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:46 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I would be more concerned of the payload capacity the tank and extra fuel would to your tundra . Unless of course that doesn't apply .
you would also need to buy a transfer pump.
thinking out loud for ya !
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
I would be more concerned of the payload capacity the tank and extra fuel would to your tundra . Unless of course that doesn't apply .
you would also need to buy a transfer pump.
thinking out loud for ya !
The Transfer Flow Tank I'm looking at will replace the stock tank so no pump needed.

Regarding weight, it is a bit of a concern as it will put me quite close on payload. However, Im thinking the risk may be worth the reward. Thoughts?
Old 04-23-2012, 07:56 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

IF you are comfortable with being at max payload that is a decision you need to make.

so your wanting to take out the existing tank and replace it with a bigger tank in the stock location ?
Old 04-23-2012, 08:12 PM   #5

Quote:
IF you are comfortable with being at max payload that is a decision you need to make.

so your wanting to take out the existing tank and replace it with a bigger tank in the stock location ?
Yes replace the exisiting 26 gallon tank with a 46 gallon tank.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:16 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

gotcha ! how much does new tank weigh ?
Old 04-23-2012, 08:18 PM   #7

I have analyzed this over and over and decided to keep my truck factory. 1000$ is a lot of money. Compromise and thro 2-5 gal gas cans in the back of the pickup. That's 100 more miles right there. The 260 miles is not a prob between stations.
dilgerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:33 PM   #8

Quote:
gotcha ! how much does new tank weigh ?
New tank is 180lbs. Stock is plastic so I'd say about 150lbs plus weight of fuel more than stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilgerc View Post
I have analyzed this over and over and decided to keep my truck factory. 1000$ is a lot of money. Compromise and thro 2-5 gal gas cans in the back of the pickup. That's 100 more miles right there. The 260 miles is not a prob between stations.
Good idea, how about one of these?

http://m.globalindustrial.com/m/g/sa...ble-fuel-tanks

Or this steel tank?
Blitz Professional Fuel Station Can, 15 gal. Capacity - 3950115 | Tractor Supply Company
Old 04-23-2012, 08:35 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I cant get first link to work .

the second is a good viable option ! I would bolt it down tho !
Old 04-23-2012, 08:37 PM   #10
Mod free 5er

We either fill up at the end of the day or before we hit the road in the morning, regardless of whether the gauge says 1/4,1/2 or 3/4 and when it hits 1/2, start looking for a station. As my granddaddy told me, "Doesn't cost anymore to run on the top 1/2 of the tank than it does to run on the bottom 1/2".
Old 04-23-2012, 08:39 PM   #11

Location: No longer own a Forest River product, but enjoy the info on this site
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kf4mnc View Post
We get around 10 mpg. The problem is. My tank is only 26 gallons so that makes my max range of 260 miles. We are contemplating upgrading the tank to a 46 gallon Transfer Flow Tank, but the cost is over $1000, which could be a lot of gas. We will be heading to Yosemite, Grand Tetons, and Glacier National Parks.

So, my questions are what do those of you that have gone on long trips think?

Is the cost worth the benefits of longer range and the ability to stop when we want and not when the gauge says?

Are gas stations pretty far apart that the extra gas could be necessary?

Thanks in Advance,

Chris
Hi Chris --

I also have a 26 gallon tank on the truck and am lucky go get 9.6 mpg when towing, so naturally we thought about a transfer tank. I was imagining having an extra 250 to 350 miles of towing capabilities from an auxiliary tank on the truck.

When considering this setup, I found that most transfer tanks are setup for diesel and and not gasoline. Also, it would take a lot "differential in gas prices" to make up for the $1K in price it takes to get the auxiliary tank.

We decided to get a couple of jerry cans. This allows us to tote an extra 10 gallons (or 100 miles). This will get us through most situations. Infact, I have found that we've been able to break even on this purchase. We travel to areas where gas is $0.50 per gallon more and don't need that gasoline, we are able to make it home. We also have a discount card for fuel purchases when we get groceries. This is often limited to 35 gallons - max. Just my two cents - get a couple of jerry cans and save the difference! I would take a lot of gas to make up for the $900 in cost differential.

See you around the camp fire.

teamgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:40 PM   #12

Quote:
I cant get first link to work .

the second is a good viable option ! I would bolt it down tho !
Relinked. Give it another shot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
We either fill up at the end of the day or before we hit the road in the morning, regardless of whether the gauge says 1/4,1/2 or 3/4 and when it hits 1/2, start looking for a station. As my granddaddy told me, "Doesn't cost anymore to run on the top 1/2 of the tank than it does to run on the bottom 1/2".
Dunnc thanks for the advice you just saved me about $900.

Only issue is see is getting in the tank. The first link in my last post has options for tanks with pumps. I think that would be the way to go with any tank larger than 5 gallons.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamgl View Post
Hi Chris --

I also have a 26 gallon tank on the truck and am lucky go get 9.6 mpg when towing, so naturally we thought about a transfer tank. I was imagining having an extra 250 to 350 miles of towing capabilities from an auxiliary tank on the truck.

When considering this setup, I found that most transfer tanks are setup for diesel and and not gasoline. Also, it would take a lot "differential in gas prices" to make up for the $1K in price it takes to get the auxiliary tank.

We decided to get a couple of jerry cans. This allows us to tote an extra 10 gallons (or 100 miles). This will get us through most situations. Infact, I have found that we've been able to break even on this purchase. We travel to areas where gas is $0.50 per gallon more and don't need that gasoline, we are able to make it home. We also have a discount card for fuel purchases when we get groceries. This is often limited to 35 gallons - max. Just my two cents - get a couple of jerry cans and save the difference! I would take a lot of gas to make up for the $900 in cost differential.

See you around the camp fire.

Thanks TeamGL, I am convinced to either get a couple tanks or a larger cart type tank like I linked above. Either way save a bunch of money!

Another question. . . In the past plastic tanks have swelled from the heat, what do you do about that? What about a metal tank? Is there a breather valve built in?
Old 04-23-2012, 09:18 PM   #14

Blitz Professional Fuel Station Can, 15 gal. Capacity - 3950115 | Tractor Supply Company

(the other link above would not work for me)

This tank would be about 150 lbs full of fuel.

how would you get this above the level of the gas tank so gravity could work it's magic? Lifting that much weight does not seem practical and syphoning would be slow.

A pump might work... though have not seen one for this setup.

Good luck
Old 04-23-2012, 09:22 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamgl View Post

(the other link above would not work for me)

This tank would be about 150 lbs full of fuel.

how would you get this above the level of the gas tank so gravity could work it's magic? Lifting that much weight does not seem practical and syphoning would be slow.

A pump might work... though have not seen one for this setup.

Good luck
Blitz filed chapter 11 and that tank is no longer made so it might be grad to find.

I'm leaning towards the Flo n Go Duramax. $110 14 gallon poly tank. It has a ten foot hose so I figured I could stand it up and go out the tailgate to refuel.
Flo N' Go - DuraMax
Old 04-23-2012, 09:35 PM   #16
Drinkin beer on the beach

I feel kind of spoiled. My trailer has a 40 gallon fuel tank under it, and a fill station on the side. I'd have to unhitch to get the gas into the truck though.

My compromise is to carry an extra 5 gallon fuel jug in the bed of the truck.

But still, truck and trailer fully loaded is just to close to max GVWR to be comfortable, for me anyways.
Rod Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:40 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kf4mnc View Post
Blitz filed chapter 11 and that tank is no longer made so it might be grad to find.

I'm leaning towards the Flo n Go Duramax. $110 14 gallon poly tank. It has a ten foot hose so I figured I could stand it up and go out the tailgate to refuel.
Flo N' Go - DuraMax
Having suffered through a double hernia - toting that much weight does not sound appealing. I've opted for dual jerry cans - they are still made. Check out Wedco or Briggs and Stratton.

below is a photo of my cans in use. (the birds were from a private hunting club)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1141.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	12671  
Old 04-23-2012, 09:42 PM   #18
Mod free 5er

I would forget the extra tanks of any kind, due to the safety issue mainly. Someone flipps a cigarette in the bed,etc and

Also, my orthopedic surgeon told me that EVERYONE should only drive around 2-3 hrs and stop and get out of the vehicle and if nothing else, just walk around the vehicle and then go again. Just sayin!
Old 04-23-2012, 10:33 PM   #19
J. Parham

I mounted and strapped a 12 gal poly tank in my tool box. Connected through a universal fuel pump and solenoid safety cut off. Wired it in to a switch under my dash. When I hit 1/2 tank turn on and 20 minutes later transfer complete. The gas dumps through a custom tee tied into my fill line. $300 total for the mod.
Nights Camped in 2012: 85
snjparham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:24 AM   #20

When I had the Tacoma I carried 3 cans in the bed of the truck...mostly for the genset. However, it also allowed me to bypass the more expensive gas stations without worry.

I now have a diesel and GMC in its infinite wisdom has a 26 gallon tank. I wish it had at least another 6-7 gallons.

When I go to Wyoming this summer, I am bringing 2 cans of diesel. I don't plan to use them until I start coming home, but I don't plan to come up short on fuel.

As for swelling gas cans, they do swell a lot in the high deserts but I never had any problems with them. You need to remember is that vapor lowers the performance of the gasoline. Not a good thing, but all things considered, with good caution not a dangerous thing either.
'07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Diesel 4x4
Why I got into RVing & More Fun
ng2951 is offline   Reply With Quote