Old 09-10-2014, 07:06 PM   #21

It'll be about a 5000 mile round trip. Staying 2 months at 6 different locations. I've calculated my GVWR before buying the trailer and even if we were to load the trailer to 7000lbs which is adding 2200lbs from the dry weight, I'd still be within my limits by 7000lbs. I know full timing you take more than you think, but we are traveling with two cars so my wife's car will be loaded with won't be in the trailer. BTW we never ever travel with fresh water in the tank so that doesn't get calculated into my overall trailer weight.
I called a differential shop and with parts and labor I got a quote for $700 out the door for 4.10s. I'm going to try and borrow a friend's truck with 4.10s to compare before I commit however. Also, I've got a lead on 04 cummins with 220k that's in my price range. Gonna have to be extremely clean though

Old 09-10-2014, 08:04 PM   #22

Quote:
According to my Chevy manual, you shouldn't be trying to pull in OD. If mine is in Tow/Haul mode, it won't shift into OD until over 65mph and I don't pull that fast due to ST tires.
OC:

My 2009 Silverado Owners Manual doesn't say anything about not pulling in Tow/Haul mode relative to OD. It doesn't say it won't shift into OD until >65mph in Tow/Haul mode, either. In fact, the word Overdrive doesn't appear in it anywhere.

You got me curious, so I downloaded your 2005 Silverado manual and did a search on both Tow/Haul and Overdrive. I don't see anything in it that says any of this either.

It DOES say:

If your vehicle is equipped with an Allison
transmission, you may have both Tow/Haul
mode and overdrive disable. See
“Tow/Haul Mode” under Towing a Trailer on
page 4-69 for more information.

On page 2-31 it says

If your vehicle has an Allison Transmission
, you may have the overdrive disable feature. The
overdrive disable feature prevents the transmission
from shifting into FIFTH (5) gear. The selector button
is located on the end of the column shift lever. You
can turn overdrive disable on and off by pressing
and holding the button at the end of the column shift
lever until the indicator light, on the instrument panel,
illuminates. If your vehicle has both Tow/Haul and
overdrive disable, tap the button once to enable or
disable Tow/Haul, and press and hold the button to
enable or disable overdrive disable.

Most of us don't have Allison transmissions.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:52 PM   #23
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
OC:

My 2009 Silverado Owners Manual doesn't say anything about not pulling in Tow/Haul mode relative to OD. It doesn't say it won't shift into OD until >65mph in Tow/Haul mode, either. In fact, the word Overdrive doesn't appear in it anywhere.

You got me curious, so I downloaded your 2005 Silverado manual and did a search on both Tow/Haul and Overdrive. I don't see anything in it that says any of this either...
I don't recall saying the manual said it wouldn't shift into OD, I said mine wouldn't at 65, which is as fast as I go unless going down hill. Then it will shift into OD, but the minute I touch the throttle to pull, it will immediately downshift out of OD. I also have a 3.23 rear end which is NOT a towing gear, so it will not pull a trailer in OD even if I wanted to, which I don't. I always pull in the tow/haul mode. Have pulled a trailer with this truck for over 70,000 miles, so I do know when it shifts into OD, and it WILL NOT at 65mph pulling the 5er.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:09 PM   #24

OC:

Sorry if I mis-interpreted your post, but you do mention your owners manual saying not to pull in OD. See the quote in post #22. So I assumed you were saying the 65mph item was in there, too.

Old 09-10-2014, 09:22 PM   #25
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
OC:

Sorry if I mis-interpreted your post, but you do mention your owners manual saying not to pull in OD. See the quote in post #22. So I assumed you were saying the 65mph item was in there, too.
I believe I said the manual suggests pulling heavy loads in T/H mode. But, regardless, you pull however you want in whatever gear and I'll continue as I have.

Tow/Haul Mode
Tow/Haul is a feature on automatic transmission equipped vehicles that assists when pulling a heavy trailer or a large or heavy load. Tow/Haul mode adjusts the transmission’s shift pattern to reduce shift cycling (rapid up and downshifts/gear hunting), providing increased performance, vehicle control, and transmission cooling when towing or hauling heavy loads.
Automatic transmission equipped vehicles are provided with a button at the end of the shift lever which when pressed enables Tow/Haul. When the button is pressed, a light on the instrument panel will illuminate to indicate that Tow/Haul has been selected. Tow/Haul may be turned off by pressing the button again, at which time the indicator light on the instrument panel will turn off. The vehicle will automatically turn off Tow/Haul every time it is started.
Tow/Haul is designed to be most effective when the vehicle and trailer combined weight is at least 75% of the vehicle’s Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR). See “Weight of the Trailer” later in the section. Tow/Haul is most useful under the following driving conditions: • When pulling a heavy trailer or a large or heavy load through rolling terrain. • When pulling a heavy trailer or a large or heavy load in stop and go traffic. • When pulling a heavy trailer or a large or heavy load in busy parking lots where improved low speed control of the vehicle is desired.
Operating the vehicle in Tow/Haul when lightly loaded or with no trailer at all will not cause damage. However, there is no benefit to the selection of Tow/Haul when the vehicle is unloaded. Such a selection when unloaded may result in unpleasant engine and transmission driving characteristics and reduced fuel economy. Tow/Haul is recommended only when pulling a heavy trailer or a large or heavy load.
Old 09-11-2014, 10:55 PM   #26

Quote:
But, regardless, you pull however you want in whatever gear and I'll continue as I have.
Not sure I understand this comment, as I don't really care what you do, either, and never commented on what you do.

I was simply trying to point out that it appeared that what you seemed to be claiming was in the owners manual (i.e., "you shouldn't be trying to pull in OD") was not actually there.

Old 09-11-2014, 11:13 PM   #27

Try a chip or Have a tuner write you new parameters .. There are some places.. That do it on line.. You tell them what you have and what you want ..They can alter shift points, fuel ratios and timing to name a few..
Old 09-11-2014, 11:35 PM   #28

Dave I agree with Speedy. You can probably get about 20 more HP and that much torque using something like a hypertech tuner. (go to hypertech.com) Others tuners are out there but hypertech is pretty good bang for the buck, at least with my Duramax. It'll cost a hell of a lot less than the $1,000+ youre going to have to pony up for the gear change.
If you can, go with a diesel. It will be like towing with three suburbans. I hook my rig to my Duramax and I don't give a damn about the grades or how much crap I load up.
Old 09-12-2014, 12:31 AM   #29

Well guys I've got a 2012 yukon xl 4x4 5.3(3.42) with towing package. First I have a large family a lovely wife, (3) girls and a female small dog. I needed a large family hauler/travel trl puller. At the time a 2500 yukons were nowhere to be found and now are vanished from GMs lineup. I have a larger trl (2015 Flagstaff 831bhds 7430 pounds dry pushing 8250 loaded , tongue weight 843)larger than I should have with this tow vehicle. I have done all kinds of mods after reading and reading and reading. Im very happy with all my up grades. Mods- list not in order, changed gears to 4.10 better fuel milage in town believe it or not, all syn oils and lubes, air-lift 1000, cold air-intake, Mag Flow exhaust, changed tires to a load (E) rated tire and upgraded to a husky centerline hitch. At 65 mph i getting about 7.9 to 8.1. I've driving all over the county for 17 yrs semi trucks and I feel very safe with this setup . TV rides about 1inch lower in the rear than normal but I can live with that. Until I can find the next best mod.4.10 for me was a must have.Cost 523.00 installed by local shop. Happy camping !!
Old 09-13-2014, 11:00 AM   #30

No doubt the 4:10 ring and pinion gears will give more mechanical advantage; hence, more pulling grunt. Nobody ever says they want a higher gear ratio to delivery more pulling power. I believe if you check the specs between 373 and 410, its about 800-1,000 lbs.

Tags
upgrade