Old 04-18-2015, 06:59 PM   #1

Upgraded my Tow Vehicle

For the past 2 years I towed my 24ft grey wolf with a dodge Dakota...I purchased a Silverado 2500HD for towing my RV this year ( I know it is quite an upgrade....may purchase a larger RV ) The problem that I now have is that the ball on my Pro load leveler sets approx. 7 inches higher than when installed on my old truck. Should I go to a RV dealer and have them take a look at it or does someone have suggestions?

Old 04-18-2015, 09:04 PM   #2

I just did same thing. Pulled my 26 BHSS with an Avalanche. Just picked up 2015 2500 HD. Gasser. Did you do diesel? I was on the fence. I plan on resetting my own, done enough of them. Also plenty of u tube videos for setting up. Start level ground for TV and TT and take measurements and adjust according. Not familiar your set up though.
Love the new truck!

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forum
Poper

Old 04-18-2015, 09:14 PM   #3

Go to the web site for your hitch, they should have install instructions, follow them you should be able to do yourself.
Old 04-19-2015, 11:38 AM   #4

Thanks to both of you for the response....I went with a gasser. I have done some research and I think I need a drop down attachment for my hitch. E trailer has several drop lengths. I think I need to measure my Dakota hitch opening and compare to the 2500 hitch. The difference in height will determine the length of the drop down ( am I on the right track? ). The drop down attachment I am looking at is rated at 10,000 lbs and tongue weight of 400 lbs. My trailer tongue weight is 574. I use a load leveler system, so by using that am I OK regarding tongue weight? Isn't that the reason for using a load leveler....to distribute the weight on the tongue, and for anti-sway bars? This is my second year for pulling a TT so I am learning.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:29 PM   #5

The top of your ball should be 1-2 in above your level trailer hitch hieght before hook up. Your drop down attachment sounds a little light, I would want one rated for full tongue weight.
Many shanks are reversible, do you have a pic of hitch it may help.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:01 AM   #6

After talking to the folks at e trailer, I realize I need to replace my hitch shank on my WDS. The current shank which was installed by the dealer was in the up position....I may be able to put it in the down position to achieve the 4.5 in. drop that I need as a result of changing towing vehicles. Thanks for your reply.

Tags
tow vehicle, upgrade