Old 10-18-2012, 09:23 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve and Sandra View Post
You have to look at what your buying and what you gonna spend on it ..Gas vsr. Diesel .. The gas burner 8.1 is a good motor,will pull anything you want for less money in the tank and out the door. The diesel will cost you more out the door and in the tank because of fuel prices,but it will last you longer,and resell value will be more if you decide to sell it...
I dont agree with a diesel costing more in fuel. It will get far better fuel mileage than a gasser and price difference per gallon is not that much when you consider most guys (if they are smart) will only run Premium fuel when towing. No way I am putting 87 octane in my truck and then towing the camper especially in the heat, I dont like detonation.

Nights camped in 2014 = 19
(2013 = 36)
(2012 = 42)
JFM-jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:35 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFM-jr View Post
most guys (if they are smart) will only run Premium fuel when towing. No way I am putting 87 octane in my truck and then towing the camper especially in the heat, I dont like detonation.
If I recall from my Ram manual, 89 octane is the recommended fuel for the Hemi. I could notice the difference when towing with it between 91 and 87 octane.

My V10 specs 87 octane...I've tried 89 and 91 but haven't noticed any difference at all.

Back to the OP. Our F250 V10 is rated for 14500 lbs but I don't think I'd attempt towing that. If the camper's 12000 lbs dry it'd be about 13500 lbs loaded which using a pin weight of 20% would be about 2700 lbs. That will put the truck well over it's GVWR but will probably be under the RAWR. You have to decide if that's okay.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:37 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtstromsburg View Post
I love all the diesels as much as the next guy, but this is crazy. My 05 f250 v10 is rated to 15000 towing a 5th. Pin weight is always the limiting factor in any 3/4 ton, diesel or not. yes I only get 7mpg, but in my instance, I saved $10K over getting a similar truck with a diesel. That'll by an awful lot of gas!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFM-jr View Post
I dont agree with a diesel costing more in fuel. It will get far better fuel mileage than a gasser and price difference per gallon is not that much when you consider most guys (if they are smart) will only run Premium fuel when towing. No way I am putting 87 octane in my truck and then towing the camper especially in the heat, I dont like detonation.

I also have had 2 2005 F-550's 1 with the V10 and the other with a 6 liter.

Here in Colorado the V10 was absolutely a pig getting about 4-5 mpg.
Both had 4.88 rear ends and the 6.0 was getting 12.5mpg.
Both towed a 14,000lb mini-excavator at a total GCVWR of 30,000lbs.

Like the above statement regular unleaded was not an option and even if it was I had to fill up almost 3 times as much with the V10 and fuel is closer in cost to diesel and not going to change anytime soon.
Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:50 PM   #24

Don't buy the cart before the horse.
Buy a truck, any truck of your choice. Then match the trailer to the capabilities of the truck.
As stated most trucks will pull, but to stop or control the unit that is being towed is a different matter.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:05 PM   #25

Just speaking engine wise, a V-10 will tow anything you ask it to. Figure our class c is pushing 20,000 pounds with a 6000 pound enclosed trailer behind it. 26,000 pounds and it has no problem cruising a steady 65 mph with gas mileage around 8.

With that being said, I would never buy a v-10 for driving around town. They just weren't made for that.

And no, you don't have to run premium in a gas motor just because your towing.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:18 PM   #26
Trailer Trash

The BIG difference why people use diesels for towing is torque. Need the torque to get all that weight moving to 60-70mph on the freeway. Gas engines will do it, but their MPG rating goes in the toilet with real havy loads. You will also wear out a gas engine quicker than a diesel. Diesel engine castings are typically more heavy duty than gas. AND diesel fuel is a lubricant so it adds to engine longevity.

That old GMC 3/4 ton is already borderline for towing that heavy 5th wheel. IF its old and tired, it might be a problem waiting for a place to happen. Hook up 5-6 tons behind it and you'll find out quickly how tired she was. The V-10 Fords are a very good gas engine. If I didn't want diesel, I would go with a low mileage V-10 gas F350 with a basic no frills interior. Relativly cheap, gets the job done, and safe to operate the weight you want to haul. Compare the specs to a 6.0L powerstroke diesel to the same model year V10 gas and they really are not that far apart in HP and torque.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:26 PM   #27
Trailer Trash

Oh and for the record, my truck gets 17mpg empty and 13-14mpg towing the big Columbus. Diesel 6.0 powerstroke with stock tune. I drive 60-65 on freeway when towing. Loosing only 3-4mpg is another main reason people use diesels compared to gas for towing. It's all about low rpm torque!!!
Old 10-18-2012, 10:41 PM   #28

Thanks for all of your great input. Naturally, we were skeptical of the stealership, who told us this truck could pull this camper so we did a little research. According to Trailerlife's 2002 towing guide, the 2500hd 8.1 liter extended cab with a 4.10 axle ratio max towing is 12,000 lbs conventional and 15,900 lbs for a fifth wheel. I assumed that their data is trusworthy. Does anybody know how accurate these guides are?
I haven't found anything definitive on the truck as far as payload capacity but from everything I've read it's in excess of 3,000 lbs. We are calling the dealership tomorrow to get the exact payload off of the truck so that will help. I forgot to mention that the GMC we're considering only has 53,000 miles...very low for a 2002.

As far as a gas engine, we are currently towing a 6300lb trailer with a 2010 Tundra 5.7L so we're pretty accustomed to the crappy gas mileage. I know alot of you love your diesels but we truly have been very pleased with the performance of the Tundra when towing...it just can't handle towing a fifth wheel due to the low payload capacity. We recently went to Gatlinburg from SC and that Tundra handled a long 6% grade with ease at 65mph and was still accelerating with no problem so I can't imagine that an 8.1 would have any issues pulling the same grade, which is probably the steepest we will ever tackle in our travels.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:05 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelek View Post
The BIG difference why people use diesels for towing is torque. Need the torque to get all that weight moving to 60-70mph on the freeway. Gas engines will do it, but their MPG rating goes in the toilet with real havy loads. You will also wear out a gas engine quicker than a diesel. Diesel engine castings are typically more heavy duty than gas. AND diesel fuel is a lubricant so it adds to engine longevity.

That old GMC 3/4 ton is already borderline for towing that heavy 5th wheel. IF its old and tired, it might be a problem waiting for a place to happen. Hook up 5-6 tons behind it and you'll find out quickly how tired she was. The V-10 Fords are a very good gas engine. If I didn't want diesel, I would go with a low mileage V-10 gas F350 with a basic no frills interior. Relativly cheap, gets the job done, and safe to operate the weight you want to haul. Compare the specs to a 6.0L powerstroke diesel to the same model year V10 gas and they really are not that far apart in HP and torque.
We' ve never really thought about a Ford gasser but will check into that possibility over the next couple of days. Thanks for that advice. My husband is just not a Ford guy, or Dodge for that matter, so I may have trouble convincing him to look at anything other than a GMC or Chevy. We'll see! I'm not sure about the torque of a diesel engine but the 2002 8.1 liter produces 455 pound-feet of torque at 3,200 rpm...the husband says this is as close to a diesel as you can get with a gas engine which is why he specifically wants an 8.1. They quit putting them in the GM trucks in 2006 so an older truck it is unless I can convince him to look at something else.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:09 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtstromsburg View Post
I love all the diesels as much as the next guy, but this is crazy. My 05 f250 v10 is rated to 15000 towing a 5th. Pin weight is always the limiting factor in any 3/4 ton, diesel or not. yes I only get 7mpg, but in my instance, I saved $10K over getting a similar truck with a diesel. That'll by an awful lot of gas!
My husband's thinking exactly!