Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2014, 10:18 AM   #1

US 191 in Wyoming to West Yellowstone

We are getting ready to embark on a trip to Glacier NP and part of our route will be taking US 191 north out of Rock Spring, WY through Jackson Hole and over Teton Pass on our way to West Yellowstone for one of our stop overs. Anyone ever take this route and what is this drive like?

2010 Wildcat 30LOFT
2011 RAM 3500 CCLB Cummins
HookMeUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:48 PM   #2

I would not go that route. I grew up near there and am very familiar with the road. The road is not bad at all. However, if you go this way you will miss Teton National park. It is very much wortH the time you spend driving through. I took the trip from Rock springs a couple of years ago. The route is rolling hills. It can be a bit windy at times though. We spent 4 days in Teton national park and loved it. Then you just drive north out of Teton national park and into Yellowstone. Again, very we'll worth the drive. When you enter Yellowstone the first big area you will hit is Grant. Go left at the first junction and you will go through the mountains and come into Old Faithfull. You are at the upper geyser basin. The next few miles are where most of the geysers in Yellowstone are located. Look at a map of the area and this will make much more sense to you.

This is one of the most scenic drives in the country and is not to be missed.

Have fun, take your time and enjoy your self.

Let me know if you need any additional info.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
jchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:15 PM   #3

^^What he says^^ Going over Teton Pass is like going via Omaha once you are in the Jackson - Tetons area. Just straight on up through Yellowstone. Stop and see Old Faithful geyser and some of the other geysers and stuff along the Firehole river. Then at Madison junction you can decide to go west and out through West Yellowstone or on up through the park and out the North Gate.

From West Yellowstone or Gardiner it is an easy shot on up to Glacier NP.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:34 PM   #4
Site Team

Was there last September and towed fiver out of nw Yellowstone thru Beartooth scenic hwy. Maybe the prettiest drive ever, but steep and high (10,500') and tight curves. Good road surface once out of Yellowstone.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:15 PM   #5

Love Teton Pass but others are correct, do Tetons NP, then head up through Yellowstone and hit the Beartooth into Red Lodge. From Red Lodge not a bad drive to Glacier.

This is on the switchbacks on Beartooth two weeks ago. Altitude was about 10900. Fun keeping up with the dog in the snow

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:40 PM   #6

I'm in the Grand Teton now. If you decide to stop, get here as early in the day as you can. The campgrounds having been full be late afternoon. I'm at Colter Bay. Nice place.
wanderer69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 12:13 AM   #7

I also agree that Tetons NP is a must! I grew up not far from that area and still hunt in the areas surrounding it. It is some of the most beautiful country in the entire USA IMHO. Make sure to spend a couple hours in Jackson as well there are lots of neat shops and different things to see there! If you want a really nice scenic drive into Jackson go from rock springs up to pinedale (this part is boring) and then from pinedale to Jackson (this part goes through a twisty yet beautiful canyon).

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
turnerpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:07 AM   #8
Site Team

Well as long as you're going to Jackson, eat at The Gun Barrel. Great food including bison prime rib, elk and trout

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote