Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2018, 04:26 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Goosenecks, goosebox, Anderson, and Sidewinder setups get frequently maligned by folks who have NOT USED them

But you see them successfully used all the time. Amazing how that works.........
Who maligned anything???
Stated not all gooseboxs are created equal - not all approved by Lippert
never said they don't work

Said be careful with gooseneck adapters on 5th wheel pinbox - voids Lippert warranty and some have caused structural damage to 5th wheel pinbox
never said they don't work just be careful
koller1509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 05:03 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Maybe... lower the tailgate BEFORE pulling away?

I have hit the tailgate backing into it
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 05:11 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
I just bought a new 2019 F-350. I asked the dealer to show me the towing capacity for a 5th wheel. He pulled it up on the computer and it said 27,500 lbs with a 5th wheel hitch and 35,000 lbs with a gooseneck hitch.

You mean I could pull a bigger camper with gooseneck. I have a SRW 3500 maybe I need to be looking at a RiverStone fifth wheel
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 07:52 PM   #24

My gooseneck hitch replaces the pinbox completely. It was custom made of 5/16 plate that bolts directly to the trailer frame. The hitch is on a tube that is adjustable. I built this before adapters were here.
Ben
gentle_1ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 07:44 PM   #25

They both distribute the weight about the same, so functionally, they’re pretty much the same. The only major difference is that 5th wheel is better for legal reasons. I believe it depends on which state you’re driving through though, at least that’s what it says here: http://topautotools.com/5th-wheel-vs-gooseneck-hitches/
tonbeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 01:11 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonbeton View Post
They both distribute the weight about the same, so functionally, they’re pretty much the same. The only major difference is that 5th wheel is better for legal reasons. I believe it depends on which state you’re driving through though, at least that’s what it says here: http://topautotools.com/5th-wheel-vs-gooseneck-hitches/
So it said with a fifth wheel hitch it is legal to ride in the trailer in motion? I didn't think that was legal at all. I wouldn't have my family in mine in motion.
robbiels7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 01:31 PM   #27

No the legal difference is that gooseneck hitches require safety chains in many states and fifth wheels do not. As far as riding in a fifth wheel there may a few states that allow it, but I wouldn't recommend it!
Old 12-20-2018, 05:06 PM   #28

Having had both the regular 5th wheel hitch and a couple of gooseneck hitches, I can say that I do like the gooseneck setup better. But, let me clarify things here - not all GN setups are the same. On a 27' Alpenlite, a small, simple adapter worked great, as I had a turnoff ball in my truck bed. However, later, on a 31' Alpenlite, the adapter for that unit did not work and was subject to a lot of chunking going down the road and made for an uncomfortable ride. I ended up going with a B&W GN hitch setup and over it! Simple, effective, I can put in oil and take it out of the truck by myself (I am not a spring chicken)and handles the 31' rig wonderfully. In reality, it is not a GN hitch, but an adapter to a standard 5th wheel hitch. We have since moved to a motorhome, but I liked the B&W setup so well, that I have kept it, just in case I ever go back to a 5th wheel unit.
2008 Jeep JKS
Ready Brute Elite / Blue Ox BP
High Desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 05:12 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Desert View Post
Having had both the regular 5th wheel hitch and a couple of gooseneck hitches, I can say that I do like the gooseneck setup better. But, let me clarify things here - not all GN setups are the same. On a 27' Alpenlite, a small, simple adapter worked great, as I had a turnoff ball in my truck bed. However, later, on a 31' Alpenlite, the adapter for that unit did not work and was subject to a lot of chunking going down the road and made for an uncomfortable ride. I ended up going with a B&W GN hitch setup and over it! Simple, effective, I can put in oil and take it out of the truck by myself (I am not a spring chicken)and handles the 31' rig wonderfully. In reality, it is not a GN hitch, but an adapter to a standard 5th wheel hitch. We have since moved to a motorhome, but I liked the B&W setup so well, that I have kept it, just in case I ever go back to a 5th wheel unit.
I think instead of the adaptors now that reese has the goosbox it is becoming more and more popular. I have one on my 29rl silverback and wouldn't have it any other way.
Old 12-21-2018, 09:38 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiels7 View Post
I think instead of the adaptors now that reese has the goosbox it is becoming more and more popular. I have one on my 29rl silverback and wouldn't have it any other way.
And it doesn't void the warranty from Lippert like an adapter will.
Old 12-21-2018, 10:05 PM   #31

Your question should be about the 5 er you plan to tow. Many of the new high end trailers have a double stack frame from just in front of the wheels to the neck over. In that neck over area, some have 4 equally spaced and braced uprights to the neck over giving the frame more strength since the goose neck connection increases leverage on the frame. That’s also the reason you see many gooseneck equipment trailers having large triangle shaped gussets welded at those points.
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 12:21 AM   #32
Multi-Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired JSO View Post
Your question should be about the 5 er you plan to tow. Many of the new high end trailers have a double stack frame from just in front of the wheels to the neck over. In that neck over area, some have 4 equally spaced and braced uprights to the neck over giving the frame more strength since the goose neck connection increases leverage on the frame. That’s also the reason you see many gooseneck equipment trailers having large triangle shaped gussets welded at those points.
Thank you all! But why would you go gooseneck vs 5th wheel?
Old 12-22-2018, 06:50 AM   #33

Goose Neck or 5th Wheel

We have both set ups. Both have there advantages, we ran an adapter for years with out problems but; it take a lot of lift to get the 5er off a gooseneck ball. If your boondocking, it going to take a lot of battery to lift it off and then level it back for use. Three to five minutes worth of running the landing gear up and down. Our LQ horse trailer has a manual jack but because its not geared down for the motor I can crank it up and down faster then the 5er electric. Just my thoughts and in most states you can double tow with a 5th wheel hitch but not a Goose Neck.
'01 Exiss 300MT Weekender

A wife and two dogs, isn't that enough?
rclogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 08:25 AM   #34

I’ve gotten 13000 miles in 12 months on my goose box set up and have no problems to report. Don’t have to remove the 5th wheel hitch every time I come home so my truck stays open for “business”. Only problem that was easily overcome was lining up the hitch to ball. Did this by using an extendable magnetic pickup tool. Painted a line on my goose box and back up till the tool touches the box and is aligned with the line.
Still have to struggle to slide into bed so I may hook up chains and safety brake cable.
Keeping bed clear for loads is well worth the small trouble compared to removing the 5r hitch.
Shadowchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 09:15 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtPutnam View Post
Thank you all! But why would you go gooseneck vs 5th wheel?

The main advantage is when not towing you pull release lever in drivers rear wheel well, pull ball out and flip it over and release lever in wheel well and you have your entire bed available to use.
Old 12-22-2018, 10:09 AM   #36

The only reason to go gooseneck over fifth wheel is if you have other gooseneck trailers you pull. Otherwise there is no advantage. The ease of clearing the bed for use seems to be a secondary validation. The difference in time is literally two minutes, at least for me with a standard fw.

If you don't have multiple gooseneck trailers, there really is no reason to not go fifth wheel. So much easier in day to day use.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 01:15 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by koller1509 View Post
The main advantage is when not towing you pull release lever in drivers rear wheel well, pull ball out and flip it over and release lever in wheel well and you have your entire bed available to use.
X2. I love having my bed clear.
Old 12-23-2018, 10:48 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
I just bought a new 2019 F-350. I asked the dealer to show me the towing capacity for a 5th wheel. He pulled it up on the computer and it said 27,500 lbs with a 5th wheel hitch and 35,000 lbs with a gooseneck hitch.

I won’t argue I know the numbers for towing are higher but payload doesn’t change. I do wonder though why a higher rating after all big rigs tow 5th wheel style not gooseneck. Ram has their own 5th wheel set up that increases tow rating. Now just from a pure visual standpoint I would think towing with a 5th wheel would create more of tow rating as it spreads the force applied from pulling the trailer to more of the truck but I am no science major
Old 01-12-2019, 02:32 PM   #39

I think the numbers are higher on a gooseneck....simply because there are no fifth wheel hitches rated above 27.5
mikkeeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 02:41 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikkeeh View Post
I think the numbers are higher on a gooseneck....simply because there are no fifth wheel hitches rated above 27.5
Very true. The blue ox I have is rated at 30k. I would never do that with my truck but in a capable truck maybe. I still dont think I would push the hitch limits.

Tags
5th wheel, wheel