Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2019, 03:45 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
That might be considered "Double Tow " in Florida. Not allowed. I would never try it with a 1/2 ton anyway.

Then again, maybe not. If you look at how this "dolly" is supposed to be used with the stabilizer bars, it's really not free to turn like a regular converter dolly on a Semi. Trailer coupler sits on dolly mounted ball. Both ends of the dolly are then connected to attachment points on the vehicle mounted drawbar preventing any swing from side to side.

For all practical purposes it's just a flexible extension of the frame with wheels supporting it and the flex limited to up and down. This may be a loophole in the "no double tow" reg's. Might make it possible to back up the tow as well but I'll bet tire wear is an issue due to lack of free tracking.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 06:00 PM   #22
Who Dares, Wins

Still makes it a trailer. It is not a part of the power unit but an extension added to it. It would possibly not meet the federal cmv standards as a double tow because that specified an articulating joints, but this is not a commercial application (if on a personal rv) AND I would not want to be the Guinea pig to find out if that small part in the section bails you out..

All the dot inspectors I know, some from all over. The use, Canada and even mx agreed we'd consider it a double if seen.

But there are states that allow a non commercial double w/o a special license so it could be a good solution to a small, probably non existing issue...

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 09:26 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustyhd View Post
I see no mention of truck class or weights in my statement.

You are correct I apologize I misread your statement
Old 02-01-2019, 12:20 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
Still makes it a trailer. It is not a part of the power unit but an extension added to it. It would possibly not meet the federal cmv standards as a double tow because that specified an articulating joints, but this is not a commercial application (if on a personal rv) AND I would not want to be the Guinea pig to find out if that small part in the section bails you out..

All the dot inspectors I know, some from all over. The use, Canada and even mx agreed we'd consider it a double if seen.

But there are states that allow a non commercial double w/o a special license so it could be a good solution to a small, probably non existing issue...
The more I think about this, what really makes it any different than a car dolly? We see those everywhere and don't give them a second thought.

Old 02-01-2019, 12:39 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
The more I think about this, what really makes it any different than a car dolly? We see those everywhere and don't give them a second thought.
The difference is that the weight placed on a car dolly is forward of the dolly's axles. That and a dolly is a registered trailer, that does not have anything else attaching it to the tow vehicle except for the hitch. There's no stabilizers.

I don't know. Ussix brought up an interesting product. I wouldn't use it (the website itself just screams "professional"), but the thing itself seems to be in this weird grey area where laws are concerned, not to mention safety.

Ussix. BUY it and let us know how it works. You can be our test mule.
kfergiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 01:05 PM   #26
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
A car dolly is a device all in to itself. It is designed to haul a car by one of its axles. The car in this case would be part of the load not a separate unit. The device that was posted almost fits the bill of a convertor dolly. This is designed to convert a semi trailer (one like a normal bumper pull trailer) to a full trailer (Has axles in the front and back). Two different types of devices.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 02-01-2019, 01:05 PM   #27
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfergiez View Post
The difference is that the weight placed on a car dolly is forward of the dolly's axles. That and a dolly is a registered trailer, that does not have anything else attaching it to the tow vehicle except for the hitch. There's no stabilizers.

I don't know. Ussix brought up an interesting product. I wouldn't use it (the website itself just screams "professional"), but the thing itself seems to be in this weird grey area where laws are concerned, not to mention safety.

In many states, not all, convertor dollys also have to be registered, have brakes and lighting all to themselves.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 02-01-2019, 01:37 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfergiez View Post

If you look at the device, I believe the tow ball is located just forward of the axle C/L. Enough to provide SOME tongue weight but not excessive.

As for licensed car dolly's, in most states the dolly is "licensed" either by the tow vehicle or towed vehicle. All it has to have is tail lights. In states where a license is required for a car dolly, same would apply for this as it has wheels that touch the pavement which appears to be the requirement for registration in those states.

This is a problem in our fair country. Every state has different laws for the same circumstances. You can be legal in one state and yet cross over the state line on the same road and suddenly be a criminal

Laws that were passed back when people rarely left the County where they were born.

Tags
toad, trailer, weight