Old 06-15-2019, 12:46 PM   #1

Use overdrive when towing?

Have 2006 F-150 with 5.4 liter. Tow 7000 lb Salem 27RKSS TT. Tows fine when near flat roads and low wind. Truck works harder when wind is higher or going up hills but is still fine.

Always thought for some reason that when towing my TT that I should press the overdrive button and stop the trans from shifting into overdrive. I have auto trans with Drive, 2 and 1 and overdrive. Can I safely use overdrive as I am sure it would be shifting out of overdrive frequently if I did? Please advise. The rpm's at 60mph are around 1800 with overdrive on and around 2200 with overdrive off. I usually do not exceed 60mph.

Thanx.

huskylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 03:10 PM   #2
Grammar Pedant

5.4L 3V with 4R75e transmission. I wouldn't tow in OD. I'd let it go into OD going down hill, but I wouldn't use my accelerator without OD locked out.

In theory, no issue. In practice, the OD band is pretty thin and plenty of people have worn it out ... breaking the snap ring, I believe. It's a weak gear and I wouldn't stress it out by towing in it.

I'm not a fan of the 5.4 3V for towing. Glad it's working out for you, but I'd leave OD out of the equation.

RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 03:31 PM   #3

I think if you are having shifting in and out of OD, you will find that you will probably get a little better MPG with OD turned off, at least I did when towing with my 3 speed plus OD Dodge 2001 van. I also had an easier time keeping my speed even with OD off. I tried driving hilly interstate with OD ON when going downhill and turning it off when starting to climb, but that did NOT prove to me to be better on MPG then just turning it off.

If you are in flat land, with a tail wind and turn OD back on, and find it is not shifting in and out of OD, then I might leave it ON.

Let the amount of shifting be the key to turning OD on or off.

my 2 cents...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 04:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post

If you are in flat land, with a tail wind and turn OD back on, and find it is not shifting in and out of OD, then I might leave it ON.

my 2 cents...
X2
Old 06-15-2019, 04:41 PM   #5

I've never heard of breaking a snap ring.
Old 06-16-2019, 12:27 PM   #6

I have always towed with overdrive on. I have a scan guage to monitor transmission temperatures, if it starts to get to hot or shifts to much then I will lock out overdrive. JMHO
shadows4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 12:53 PM   #7

I prefer to just follow the manufacturers instructions regarding OD and Towing.

For my truck it's strongly stated "OD off when towing".

For those who disregard the Mfr's recommendations, good luck. You might get away with it and maybe you won't. Even if you have a huge engine so the transmission isn't hunting all the time as the vehicle encounters wind or hills, OD is only designed to maintain higher speeds with lower RPM but with a heavy load slippage becomes a major issue. When your transmission starts to heat due to slippage it's time to schedule some time with your transmission repair shop.

However as the saying goes "It's your truck, drive it anyway you like". After all, what does the manufacturer know?.

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 01:00 PM   #8
Multi-Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
I think if you are having shifting in and out of OD, you will find that you will probably get a little better MPG with OD turned off, at least I did when towing with my 3 speed plus OD Dodge 2001 van. I also had an easier time keeping my speed even with OD off. I tried driving hilly interstate with OD ON when going downhill and turning it off when starting to climb, but that did NOT prove to me to be better on MPG then just turning it off.

my 2 cents...
+ 1 I agree that letting the TV tell you what it wants - both for OD and tow/haul. We have a transmission temperature display and rising temp is another indicator.
2018 Silverado 2500 HD 6.0L, 4:10 rear
Prodigy P3 Brake Controller
Andersen WDH / Class V (2000 lb) Receiver

CurtPutnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 02:38 PM   #9

My Dodge Dakota would kick out of OD when towing motorcycle trailer. It was designed to do that when OD overheated or shifting in and out.
Most trucks that don't have a tow mode should not tow or haul with OD on except in flat open routes.

2019 Ford SD F-350 SRW Lariat
Tow & Gooseneck Prep
FX4 Off Road (4X4)
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 03:08 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I prefer to just follow the manufacturers instructions regarding OD and Towing.

For my truck it's strongly stated "OD off when towing".

For those who disregard the Mfr's recommendations, good luck. You might get away with it and maybe you won't. Even if you have a huge engine so the transmission isn't hunting all the time as the vehicle encounters wind or hills, OD is only designed to maintain higher speeds with lower RPM but with a heavy load slippage becomes a major issue. When your transmission starts to heat due to slippage it's time to schedule some time with your transmission repair shop.

However as the saying goes "It's your truck, drive it anyway you like". After all, what does the manufacturer know?.
Have you considered the possibility that some manufacturers don't have/list/warn of the same things your manufacturer does? Maybe your manufacturer doesn't know what limits the OP's truck has/doesn't have.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 =111/'19 = 40; booked = 49
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing