Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2017, 01:06 PM   #1

using a gooseneck to tow fifth wheel

Over our past few trips, I'm seeing more and more fivers being towed via the gooseneck, these fivers range from a small 30' to a triple axle TH. Are there any pros to towing via the goosekeck instead of the fifth wheel plate? I thought that it causes more stress on the trailer and the manu may void the warranty.
RollingDownTheHighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 01:15 PM   #2

In many cases, using a typical gooseneck will void your warranty and can cause stress fractures in the frame and body. There are some adapters, which raise the pivot point back up to the level of a typical hitch, but personally, I still wouldn't chance it. Way too much money tied up in the 5er to take that chance.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 01:17 PM   #3
Site Team

There really is no advantage to using the gooseneck adapterl to tow a fifth wheel except that the gooseneck ball is already in the truck bed. There are some RV mfg's who void the warranty if you use a gooseneck adapter on their fifth wheel trailers. There are also some that won't. You need to contact your particular division to see whether they do or not.
Old 08-28-2017, 01:20 PM   #4

All the folks I know that use a true gooseneck adapter on a fiver do it for convenience. They already have gooseneck trailers on the farm/ranch and it saves them from having to have both in their truck. I do not see any other advantages.

As far as damaging the frame, I have never seen or heard that from actual folks who use them. And most aren't concerned about the warranty void threat.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 01:25 PM   #5

Hi,

Some years ago, I converted to gooseneck and went back.

First, hookup takes a bit more precision. But when I watched the hitch box in the mirror going over uneven roads, the exaggerated motion over typical fifth wheel operation made me convinced the frame eventually was going to be in trouble.

Admittedly this was not on a FR product, but the mechanics of what I saw then would suggest I'd have similar concerns now.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 01:31 PM   #6
Site Team

This link may help:

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-adaptin...eck-hitch.aspx

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 01:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post

Yea, I've seen some of the adapters and I have the ball and chain connectors to run a gooseneck in my '16 3500, since I'm starting to see so many now on our trips, I was curious on some of the pros and cons.

Between seeing the goosenecks and guys using a 16k 5th wheel hitch to tow a #18k TH is amazes me as well. I've seen some that one some trips over our trips as well, when we go for a walk some guys have their tailgates down and you can see the 5th wheel
RollingDownTheHighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 02:08 PM   #8

Reese GooseBox does not void any warranty"

"World’s first OE approved gooseneck adapter, Endorsed by Lippert Components, Inc. for their frame systems"
Old 08-28-2017, 02:18 PM   #9

It has been my experience with heavy stock trailers that the gooseneck lessens the stress and twisting and stress on the truck and trailers when going over uneven ground. (I have not pulled a 5wheel with gooseneck). The one thing you have to be careful with is hitting your bed rails when the truck moves one direction and the trailer the other.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 05:09 PM   #10

I changed the fifth wheel to a gooseneck adapter and what a mistake!!! Thought I would destroy my truck and trailer!
I then researched the Reese goose box and installed it. What a profound difference for the better. Hooking up is not too bad since I set an extendable magnet behind the ball and back up till it touches the box. Done!
Shadowchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 05:27 PM   #11

It took me a long time to be convinced that I shouldn't use a gooseneck adaptor on my 5er since I had pulled horse trailers with living quarters for years. I also have a 33' Big Tex gooseneck that I haul my tractor and dozer around on. So I had a great 2 5/16 ball already for heavy gooseneck use.

Then I closely examined the flex point of stress which would occur at the top of the gooseneck where it attaches to the 5er framework. (Not talking about a goosebox here). So you can imagine that traversing expansion joints, speed bumps and rough roads, that the truck bed will act as the end of a pendulum, while the top of the gooseneck has to flex (or try to) to absorb this transferred motion. The flex is exaggerated by the gooseneck acting as a lever (imagine a teeter-totter). So for the minor inconvenience of switching back and forth between my ball and Curt fifth wheel hitch, I have piece of mind about the setup.

If you tow with an adaptor and have good luck, which you very well likely will, my hat is off to you and I hope you have no worries.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 05:35 PM   #12

I have a gooseneck/turnover ball setup in my Ram the previous owner installed, if I ever get a 5th wheel trailer or need to move my father's I will get that Anderson ultimate conversion hitch. Then no worry at the truck or the trailer. It's nice and light and goes in and out really easy. I have a true long bed so it should work with any 5er out there.
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 06:36 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowrideHD View Post
It took me a long time to be convinced that I shouldn't use a gooseneck adaptor on my 5er since I had pulled horse trailers with living quarters for years. I also have a 33' Big Tex gooseneck that I haul my tractor and dozer around on. So I had a great 2 5/16 ball already for heavy gooseneck use.

Then I closely examined the flex point of stress which would occur at the top of the gooseneck where it attaches to the 5er framework. (Not talking about a goosebox here). So you can imagine that traversing expansion joints, speed bumps and rough roads, that the truck bed will act as the end of a pendulum, while the top of the gooseneck has to flex (or try to) to absorb this transferred motion. The flex is exaggerated by the gooseneck acting as a lever (imagine a teeter-totter). So for the minor inconvenience of switching back and forth between my ball and Curt fifth wheel hitch, I have piece of mind about the setup.

If you tow with an adaptor and have good luck, which you very well likely will, my hat is off to you and I hope you have no worries.

You're absolutely right. I went with the goose box since it was endorsed by lippert. The air bag and shocks do their job. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3819.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	330.0 KB
ID:	150020
Shadowchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 08:27 AM   #14

using a gooseneck to tow fifth wheel

I've taken Statics (and have been an Engineer and Engineering manager for what it's worth), so I see the concern with using a typical goose neck adapter.

However, it is important to realize that the internet multiplies stress (and failure rate) by 10x. Just look at 3/4 ton 5th wheel threads for the supporting data.
head gamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 08:36 AM   #15

I am probably one of the few that went the other way. After getting the fifth wheel camper I went to a fifth wheel flat trailer as well. And would not go back.!!!

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 02:26 PM   #16
DK1632

Using a gooseneck to pull 5er

I'm a newbie to the 5ER world, but decided I didn't want to take up my truck bed with a big, heavy plate hitch, some of which reach several hundred pounds. I put in a B&W gooseneck turnball. I had wanted a Convert a ball gooseneck adapter but needed something quick, so I went with the Anderson Ultimate hitch(UAH) which is rated at 30000#. Over the past 4 months, DW and I completed two cross country trips, one of 5500 miles and another just completed of 6500 miles. I have a Ford F250SD with 6.7 diesel and a 286RL 5er. Both performed marvelously with only a couple of blown fuses on front landing gear. Hardly new I was pulling a trailer. UAH weighs 35# can be removed or installed in 5 minutes. I turn the ball over and I have my full truck bed in minutes with no back strain. I cannot imagine going to a plate hitch.
dmt1632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 03:45 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by head gamez View Post
However, it is important to realize that the internet multiplies stress (and failure rate) by 10x.
That made me smile (as a camper and as an engineer).
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 04:27 PM   #18
dgibbs1955

I had a gooseneck, it had a 4 inch off-set, on my 41 foot TH for the first two years and had to get rid of it in the middle of this years trip. I discovered it separating at the king pin after going over some pretty rough roads these past years. I have a B&W set up so I just had the Companion installed by Hitches of Council Bluffs, in Iowa. What a difference it made in the handling and backing it into my driveway when I got home. Should have done that from the start....Lesson learned......

2012 Dodge 3500 Cummins Crew Cab 4X4, "Decluttered" and Tuned/2020 Riverstone 39RKFB/2012 Harley Davidson Ultra Glide CVO.
Summer in Blair,Nebraska.
Winter at home in Azle, TX.
dgibbs1955 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fifth wheel, wheel