Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2008, 02:41 PM   #1

Using programmer for tow vehicles

Not sure how many of you guys and gals out there are car buffs... But I was curious if anyone is using a programmer to get more power out of their trucks. I have a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 5.9L gas engine. I see that Superchips makes a setup with a "Tow Performance" option.

Just curious!

-Tim
twakefi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 02:50 PM   #2

The locals that I have talked with say they are great if you have a diesel but are of no value on a gas engine. I have asked about this a lot and always get the same answer. One truck assessory store (supposed to be the local guru) says he can give you a minimun of 100 horsepower with the programmer but would not waste his time putting one on a gas burnner. Therefore, I have quit asking about them and ask "Where is the next gas station". Hope this is some help.
Mickey
Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 05:36 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Ditto............the best thing to do for a gasser is get yourself a free flow air intake and open up the exhaust with a good system like Magnaflow.
(Tweaked!!)
2013 Columbus 320RS-ITS HERE!!
huntr70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 05:52 PM   #4

Some years ago I chipped a 97 5.0L AWD Ford Explorer that was already a gas guzzler. It did increase the horse power, but I had to stop at every gas station in the city. It did help a lot on the highway once you got up to speed. My buddy owned a performance shop so we played around a bit with the Diablo chip with a K&N filter. I also had a 98 F-150 that we put a throttle body extension on and it made a lot of difference in HP without a major difference in gas $$. With todays gas prices a chip that would change the shift pattern of an automatic is about all I'd consider, and an extension.
UMHockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 06:20 PM   #5

Send a message via MSN to hunt4240dw
Smile

Check my sig ... With my daily drive ( 70% exp ) I get 16 MPG and highway 20 MPG. Mind you my TV was rate 12/16. I would not even consider my soon-to-be TT without my tune.

The Hunts
2012 F150 Ecoboost, 3.55, tow package
Equal-i-zer Hitch
2009 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
1982 16' Glastron Ski boat
hunt4240dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 05:10 PM   #6

Our tow vehicle is a 2000 Ford Excursion 7.3L Power Stroke diesel. I use a Hypertech tuner and gain 100 hp and 165 ft. lbs torque. I tow a KZ 26P toyhauler and would not be without the tuner. We did at first tow without the tuner and the difference is amazing.

Tuner on gas is not much help. Go diesel.

The tuner also adds about 2 mpg in regular driving as well as tow.
out4stlhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 05:24 AM   #7

tuners and towing

the tuners are great for setting up a tow vehicle for towing RV's ect. However with experience, tuning up my "OLD 12V" '97 dodge, i found out that the tranny wont hold up to the new found power. I ended up putting a new ATS performance transmission. valve body, and Torque converter in. $2700.. OUCH
There is an article in the new Diesel performance magazine about using tuners and power adders and what the stock transmissions will hold up to. across the board (Chevy, dodge, Ford) will all hold about 50-75 more horsepower, and maybe 100 tq. After that, the experts reccommended replacing the Tq converter, upgrade the cooling system if automatic, and possibly the input shafts. If you like to use the right foot more than normal, you may be replacing tranny parts sooner than you think. (like I had to)
A $250-300 tq converter is a lot cheaper than a new tranny + installation. Believe me I've been there. Just a friendly FYI to everyone here wanting to do some tuning.
Im like everyone else, pulling 12K behind me and pullin it with the flow of traffic or staying 60mph while pulling up a 7% grade is great, but just think about whats cooking in that tranny :O(
2005 Kawasaki 700 4x4 ATV
2002 Kawasaki 300 4x4 ATV
2008 Chinese 110CC kids atv

4 Great Kids......
and a wonderful wife of 12 yrs now.....
Could not ask for more
Young Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 10:51 PM   #8

I have an 06 hemi ram 1500 q.c. shortbed, and an 08 Flagstaff V-lite 30WRLS.
I feel I need more power and stability when towing...suspension feels mushy and I don't feel safe traveling much faster than 60 mph. I think I will change the shocks, and possibly add a tuner/programmer for towing, and a dual exhaust system and an intake. My hemi is rated at 345 hp. stock, and with these mods, hopefully I can get over 400 hp. Also, any input/recommendations on the torque converter would be appreciated- Do I need to change it or not?? My trailer is rated at 5700 as delivered, and 7500 gross. Thanks,Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 08:27 AM   #9

I bought a Hypertech version and what a JOKE!! I can change 3 things is all on my dodge. I can select from 3 performance modes (one of which causes pinging immediately), Speed Limiter (towing that fast as if), and max RPM.

Anyhow 30 day return no questions asked and it will be going back on monday. I am going to order the Superchips because it has a lot more options. The middle grade on the hypertech did seem to make the engine run more smoothly and I did notice towing felt like it had plenty of power.

I was bringing the camper home for the first time and someone that knew me said stopped when I got home and said he tried to catch up but I must have been cruising pretty good (60mph on the back roads.).
2005 FR Grand Surveyor 273RL 5er
B&W Turnover ball
B&W Companion (5er attachment)
twakefi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 09:35 AM   #10

Sorry to hear of your experience with the Hypertech. I know several people that use them on Diesels including me and have great results. I suspect that it has to do with the gas engine although Hypertech usually does extensive testing before putting a tunner on the market.

Good Luck
out4stlhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 09:33 AM   #11
bpe

This post is rather dated but I noticed no one mentioned guages for trans. The best insurance for an auto behind all that torque with a programmed diesel is a good set of trans tempt guages. Slipping creates heat. Keep heat down keeps slipping down.
bpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 08:54 PM   #12
CHAINSAW OPERA

superchips

From reading the boards it sound like a gas engine in a dodge --4.7 liter
a super chips wont do me much good to help my towing power problem.
Has anyone used one on a 4.7 and what were the results.
only found one review online and all he said was [ It really opened her up]
No $$$ for a diesel so I am just trying to make it work.
anyone??
Thanks
CHAINSAW OPERA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 12:22 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

A reprogramming of the chip on a gasser will buy you virtually nothing. Most of the power gains, and they are small, are at WOT. At the usual towing RPM of say 2,500 on a gasser, you are looking at maybe 2 to 3 horsepower. Not even noticeable and certainly not worth the expenditure. You may get some other benefits that you like around transmission shifting and throttle response that make programming desirable however. As for exhaust, if you tow any distance, you will quickly get tired of the noise and drone. IMO, a stock truck is the best route. Any gain from aftermarket modifications is expensive for negligable gain. Again, this is in the context of everyday driving. If you are drag racing your truck, and I'm not sure why anyone would want to, you could feel some different at the top end and WOT; snappier shifts and extended shift points.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:20 AM   #14

Send a message via MSN to hunt4240dw
My custom tune may not have added as much HP and Torque in the rpm mid range. But they remove 85% of the GM torque management which provides a much towing experience.

David

The Hunts
2012 F150 Ecoboost, 3.55, tow package
Equal-i-zer Hitch
2009 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
1982 16' Glastron Ski boat
hunt4240dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:23 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, there are absolutely benefits. Just don't expect them to be noticeable horsepower and torque gains in the normal driving/towing range. I like my chip re-programming.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:45 PM   #16
ATV Junkie

The quotes about heat are more important than one may think. If you can bring operating temps down say, 3-7* you will notice some gains and you'll also save that pre-mature failure.

Switch everything to synthetics. Motor, Trans (probably the most important), Diffs and don't skimp on coolant and the intervals in which it gets serviced.

You could likely pick up 1 mpg on your gasser and possibly see some power gains as well. They'll be minimal, however, the added protection is priceless.

Where the power is gained on a gas motor is in the cam. I'm sure you've heard the term "RV Cam" before. It basically means changing the duration and time the valves open and close. This allowing more fuel and air into the chamber to ignite. There's a price to pay for that gain, however and that's in the form of mileage.
1966 A-Code Mustang Coupe. Many Mods. (sold)
2006 Arctic Cat 650H1 - Many Mods.
2007 Suzuki Vinson 500. Many Mods.
3 Dogs.
Sampson: 1999-2009. R.I.P buddy. See you on the other side.

28 Nights in -'09.
Bulldog66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 09:58 PM   #17
CampeRooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08flagvlite View Post
I have an 06 hemi ram 1500 q.c. shortbed, and an 08 Flagstaff V-lite 30WRLS.
I feel I need more power and stability when towing...suspension feels mushy and I don't feel safe traveling much faster than 60 mph. I think I will change the shocks, and possibly add a tuner/programmer for towing, and a dual exhaust system and an intake. My hemi is rated at 345 hp. stock, and with these mods, hopefully I can get over 400 hp. Also, any input/recommendations on the torque converter would be appreciated- Do I need to change it or not?? My trailer is rated at 5700 as delivered, and 7500 gross. Thanks,Randy
Firestone airbags will certainly help the ride and bring the saggy back end back into position. I'd also look into some performance anti-sway bars for the front and back to keep the lean under control and maybe some Bilstein shocks for the bumpity bumps in the road.

I don't know how easy it's going to be for you to gain that much in horsepower without making major modifications to the engine like injectors, fuel pump, turbo (or better yet, a supercharger), etc. As an example, they claim that you can gain 45 hp with a combination of underdrive pullies, open air intake, exhaust (mostly high flow muffler), and a programmer. Plan on spending around a grand for the combination. One suggestion, do your homework on the open air intake filters. K&N is not one that I would choose, but that's my personal opinion. Check out the S&B or Amsoil brand filters...you'll be glad you did. There's oiled filters and there's dry filters and each has their own benefits and downfalls, but either one of those brands are highly used and recommended in the Cummins world for the amount of cfm airflow.

A high performance torque converter will help keep the heat down in your trani. The more slip you have from the stock converter, the more heat you have. I know there are also things like a deeper trani pan with fins as well as ones for the front and back diff so that you can keep the heat down in there as well. Synthetic lubes in the diffs, transfer case, and trani will also help from any breakdown that might be occuring with the conventional oils.

Good luck on your quest

2000 Rockwood Roo M-18 Hybrid
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Auto 5.9 Diesel
Gone but not forgotten -1986 Rockwood 1003 PUP
rthrbelsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 07:52 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008Wildcat View Post
Ditto............the best thing to do for a gasser is get yourself a free flow air intake and open up the exhaust with a good system like Magnaflow.
That truck has whats known as a speed-density style fuel injection system where barometric pressure in the intake is measured and compared to the atmoshperic pressure to determine air-fuel ratio and timing. This system is widely known to be non-performance-oriented and a very "basic" EFI system as it does not allow adjustment for performance parts. Mass-air systems used in ford, chevrolet and newer dodge units are much better as the measure the amount of air coming into the engine and base the fuel/air maps accordingly.

Most pre-hemi dodge owners complain of very minimal gains when they perform expensive mods without the use of a tuner. This also requires a dyno tune to complete the modification but to answer the OPs question.....

Yes. Tuners do make a difference but only if you have done "mechanical" modifications. There is power to be had with timing and a/f ratios on a stock engine, but they will be minimal in comparison to say a cam change and a dyno tune.

'07 Salem T26BH
If you want to buy one of these just take the cash, wad it up and throw it into the garbage.
eightrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 01:27 PM   #19

If you want true power and performance get rid of those tunners. I use mine only as a code reader. I have a custom chip made for my truck. I started off with superchips but a custom chip is the way to go. Jody can also do believe flash other tunners as well. What's great about his custome chip is that you can change setting on the fly. http://www.dp-tuner.com

https://www.ford-trucks.com/

Sierra 315BHT
Go-Pokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:13 AM   #20

Programmer might help with towing as far as adjusting shift points and increasing line presure for a firmer shift. However like others have said minmal hp/tq gains a gas engines. cool air intakes and catback exhust also very minimal gains, though stuff like that is fun, to outfit you truck, make it sound tough. Might get like 15 hp with pipes, intake, and a chip but it would most likely be at 4000rpms or higher and in some case it might give the engine less hp/tq at lower rpms, which would be bad for towing.

I've done up some cars threw the years working as a auto-tech and 1 thing is for sure, the more you turn the screws to a engine, the more stuff breaks, aftermarket horse power typically reduces longevity. Plus, if you get big gains (ie super charger) you can go over the rating of the trans and running gear, possibly causing premature failure in extreme cases.

Some upgrades can be very benifcial like larger trans coolers and radiators.

That said its fun out-fitting your vehicle the way you like it.