Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2017, 05:08 AM   #41

When I had a bus conversion we would use the truck lanes.

The ability to fuel from both sides at the same time made 140G a short fill.

However with our MBS FWS we now avoid the truck spots and prefer the car stations.

Less chance of getting a high bio gunk content which the MB doesn't like.

Cheaper as trucks pay road taxes in their fuel , cars pay less.

The trucks have a vast discount network for trucking firms , the nickel or dime off from a RV card is minor.

With a 26 gal tank most fueling is done at the 20-22 gal point , so the tiny nozzel at the auto pump is fine , and the auto stop works well.

At about 14mpg , 300 miles between fills , driving 1/4 mile past the truck stop is no big deal.
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 07:33 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFred View Post
When I had a bus conversion we would use the truck lanes.

The ability to fuel from both sides at the same time made 140G a short fill.

However with our MBS FWS we now avoid the truck spots and prefer the car stations.

Cheaper as trucks pay road taxes in their fuel , cars pay less.

The trucks have a vast discount network for trucking firms , the nickel or dime off from a RV card is minor.

With a 26 gal tank most fueling is done at the 20-22 gal point , so the tiny nozzel at the auto pump is fine , and the auto stop works well.

At about 14mpg , 300 miles between fills , driving 1/4 mile past the truck stop is no big deal.
Huge difference. You are nowhere near the length of a 40' 5er, not much bigger than a 350/3500 longbed. No height concerns either. I don't like bio either but the truck is built to run on it. Some nothern states have outlawed ethanol and will probably require bio at some time if not already.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 07:39 AM   #43
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFred View Post
I'd check the pump sticker very carefully. Most places have one big tank for each fuel type so you may be getting the same diesel blend no matter which pump you use...
Old 05-11-2017, 07:59 AM   #44

Some people prefer convenience. Some people prefer cheap. Each of us have our own reasons for doing what we do. When I am hooked up, I like the convenience of the truck lanes and am willing to pay the 8-10 cents more to use them. When I am not hooked up, I will look for a decent priced station near where I am.

I used to use the "RV" lanes. Those lanes also had gasoline pumps. Therefore, crazy people also used them. Like others have said, those crazies don't care about anyone but themselves and could care less that they are blocking your way in or out. It got to the point, where I dreaded refueling. In fact, I was in the "RV" lanes once and an ambulance was trying to get to the front door, where someone had fallen. The crazies refused to loose their place in line, so wouldn't even move for the ambulance! IF they won't move for that, they surely won't move for me!

One time I saw the huge lines at the regular pumps and headed back to the open truck lanes. I went back there, enjoyed the experience and have never gone back. Why go through the hassle of dealing with the ant-hill of activity, when I can go through with (mostly) considerate people? Just my opinion and if you don't agree, you aren't nuts!
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:48 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
The discount for the RV Plus card is at every pump at pilot/fj.
I stand corrected, thanks, that is good to know. Typically I will not use Pilot if not towing due to price. I use them when towing for convenience. Thx..

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:50 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by cub22908 View Post
One of the reasons I justified getting a diesel truck was to use the truck lanes to refuel. I am now 0 for 2 since getting new truck. Thought I would try using truck lanes for "practice" before first tow and am very glad I did. The first time I tried, I forget the station, it wanted a number (tax?) of some sort and I could not get any diesel. Today, my second attempt, it was a Sunoco on Indiana toll road and it just flat refused my Visa. Both times I then just went to auto pumps. I did get a Pilot/Flying J card through Good Sam and am hoping that will work in truck lanes, but I won't know till I try it. So what is the story from those of you using truck lanes? Do I have to get a card for Love's, T/A and every station that I might use on a trip? How do you do it? First trip coming up next month and I really hope to avoid the auto pumps. Thanks, Dan

I feel your pain. I found the Pilot card to be a joke. They give you a discount but their upfront price is so high you can usually buy cheaper elsewhere.

Golfersteve
golfersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 09:16 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Hey Bob! I use the truck Lanes at pilot/fj when the RV lanes are full (usually folks who fill up and then go eat. Also use truck lanes at any other truck stop. The nozzle fits fine in my truck and I don't need any DEF. As far as the flow rate, I just don't squeeze the handle too much!
*SNARK* Yeah Scott, I used ta HATE the folks who used the RV lanes as a parking lot!!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 09:25 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
Bob, your rig wasn't 60' long. A few more feet makes a big difference. I never spilled a drop in a truck lane. The RV lanes are better than the other pumps out front, but even some of them are tight getting out at times.
Good point Tim (we were 44' with the long bed and the 34' Rockwood though )

I saw some guy in a F250 last month try to use the truck lane like a car lane...(yes, this is going to end badly)...he propped the big nozzle in his tank, turned it on and *walked away* to clean his windshield

Needless to say, the nozzle popped out of his tank filler, scratched his paint, and spilled a gallon or so of Diesel on the ground.

This is where my concern for nozzle size cam from Tim.
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 12:56 AM   #49
AMG

I use Flying J when I go to the track. They have diesel #2 and not B20. I have to go in and tell the cashier I'm just an average guy, no acct. they ask how much I want. I over estimate and any unused is not charged, it's an authorization. Works fine every time...
Old 05-14-2017, 06:20 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
Just today I skipped the Pilot truck stop in Mebane, NC for the Shell station a couple of miles away. The Shell has "truck" lanes for their diesel fuel and it was nine cents per gallon cheaper. I normally do not use truck stops for that reason.

You got that right Tom
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 06:28 PM   #51

Going to show my ignorance here, sorry, but do the RV lanes have only diesel? I wouldn't mind using them sometimes but I have a gas burner.
Old 05-14-2017, 06:30 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastalkintn View Post
Going to show my ignorance here, sorry, but do the RV lanes have only diesel? I wouldn't mind using them sometimes but I have a gas burner.
Every fuel lane I have seen that is designated for RV use has both fuel types.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 06:33 PM   #53

I hear all these stories about truck stops, makes me glad I have a extra fuel tank, 100 gallons. I normally save at least ten cents a gallon plus my PenFed card which I save another 5% off if I pay at the pump.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, truck