Old 02-06-2014, 06:48 AM   #11
Experienced Newbie
I have a 99 Blazer that we used for our Apex 151RBX. Blazer tow cap is 5000. It did ok, but always knew the camper was behind us.

I added a trans cooler from O'Reilly auto parts in about 45 minutes. Seemed to make a difference in how the truck pulled. Felt happier. Didn't change the "dragging an anchor" feeling, but felt better knowing the trans was happier

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Forest River Forums mobile app

2011 Silverado CC/SB
2014 Cougar 31SQB
mhartzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:07 PM   #12
Moderators' Assistant
many TB/Envoy owners have reported that pulling a full height HTT/TT isn't as pleasurable experience as they had expected.
the majority ended up moving to a bigger/stronger tow vehicle.

Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:10 PM   #13
I probably will in a couple of years. For now we are going to camp close to home. With in a hundred or so miles.
whitmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:15 PM   #14
I had a 2002 Trailblazer with the I6 and pulled a Coleman Sunridge (Mesa) that was about 3100lbs loaded. The Sunridge was very particular about being loaded correctly to avoid sway since the trailer axle was near the middle.

I towed the popup from Ontario to BC (12000km) and on many other trips. You need to watch the transports when passing or wind shears, and don't go down hills fast since the brakes will overheat. The Trailblazer does not have a long wheelbase for stability so any sway or wind gusts were memorable.

I think a TT rather than a popup would give considerable issues with wind load since the Trailblazer is only a 6.

I got a 2005 Suburban next and would never get anything else (and now I have 2009 Suburban) Wheelbase and power are night and day. I actually got better mileage overall in my Suburbans than with the Trailblazer. The I6 is a bit underpowered for that vehicle loaded up.

If you are carefull it will likely do well for you. But you will likely end up with a bigger TV.

2009 Suburban LT 1500 - 4x4 - 3.42
2009 Flagstaff 23FBS Super Lite
Nights Camped in 2015 - 21
Nights Camped in 2014 - 29
Nights Camped in 2013 - 31
beerjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:48 PM   #15
Originally Posted by DisDad01 View Post
Just like ryand, we had an 05 GMC Envoy (towing 5,000 lbs) with an I6 pulling a Micro Lite 23 ML similar to 2306 and it pulled ok. It did struggle on the hills and downshifting to 2nd gear. Dry weight on the Micro Lite is 3700 lbs. So we upgraded in the fall to the V8 Envoy Denali (towing 6,100 lbs) and have only pulled the camper once locally so have not had much experience yet, but so far I have noticed a difference.

You should be ok with your trailer, looks like the dry weight is about 3,000 lbs. Only time will tell and I thought I was ok with the smaller Envoy and later decided to upgrade. I think you see this alot on this forum. People upgrading their TV after their trailer purchase.

Good luck and enjoy.

I think a lot of people have this problem, we started with an 03 Tahoe, tow package, bought a small 4,000LB TT and didn't like the sway with the short wheelbase TV, didn't like the questionable stopping power, didn't like the dragging ***** up any hill, we ended up upgrading TV, now we upgraded to a small 5er. Spent a lot of money, went about it all wrong but happy with the final outcome. My advise to anyone is get a REAL TV, then get a camper. You will be much better off in the long run.
2006 2500HD Duramax CCSB 2WD
2014 Crusader 285RET
Nights camped in 2013 - not enough!
Nights camped in 2014 37

Nights camped in 2015 40
Nights camped in 2016 35
Crusadernoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:24 PM   #16
Originally Posted by whitmw View Post
This is exactly the kind of feed back I was looking for. Thanks so much to everyone that has responded so far. My Trailblazer is rated for 5400 lbs. The camper is 3400 lbs. I put a WD hitch and sway bars on so far. I plan to install a transmission cooler as soon as the weather allows. Towed it home from the dealership (35 miles) and it seemed to pull fine. I did have one pretty decent hill and although it was working, I don't think I could have gotten over 60, nor would I have wanted too.
If your Trailblazer doesn't have tow mode, I would recommend getting a pcm tune for it. We have since bought a Ram to tow our 4000# hybrid but used to pull it with our I6 Trailblazer. The PCM tune was the best $150 I ever spent. There is a lot of advice about this on GMTNation forum. is the company I sent my pcm to. I also bought a tranny cooler from them.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

2013 Roo 183
2012: 1042 Miles, 13 Nights camped
2013: 2772 Miles, 27 Nights camped

2014: 2259 Miles, 30 Nights camped
2015: 1644 Miles, 20 Nights camped
2016: 550 Miles, 11 Nights camped
indybp57 is offline   Reply With Quote