Old 01-16-2015, 04:06 PM   #1

Versahauler two motorcycle carrier

Hello, I just purchased a Versahauler two motorcycle carrier. I have a 2003 Georgetown 306 Class A motorhome with a Reese hitch/receiver rated at 350 lbs. maximum tongue weight. This hitch is obviously too light for the Versauler and two motorcycles which have a combined weight of 650 lbs.

All of the universal motorhome hitches I've seen have a maximum tongue weight of 500 lbs., still too light. Could I have my current Reese hitch welded to the frame in order to increase the tongue weight capacity? Or, since my motorhome doesn't have any frame extensions and, I believe, uses the F53 chassis and 34 in. frame width, could I use a heavy duty hitch designed for the Ford F350 truck (same chassis and frame width)? Thanks.

Old 01-16-2015, 11:16 PM   #2

I added a class 4 to my Gtown to carry 2 scoots and a total tongue weight of 600lbs. +
At the time I did a lot of research including with Ford and THEY were ok with 600 lbs+ provided I upgraded to a class 4 welded on AND my particular coach did not use welded on fram extensions of any length that would be weak points.
I ended up getting my coach inspected by a good hitch outfit that does nothing but hitch work...and then I got a 2 cycle/scoooter carrier from Joehauler.com due to the width issues I had with the scooters. the Versahauler tracks were no wide enough for mine...you might want to check the measurements center to center with the bikes side by side to ensure enough clearance...but Versahauler makes an excellent product.
The class 4 hitch is designed for 1000 lbs tongue weight...but the coach is the limiting factor. Get your frame checked for those extensions by a competent guy and then no worries...I've noted NO driving or sag issues with mine. The hitch removal of the class3 and install of the class4 completely welded ran about $350 so I thought that was reasonable. Pix here:
Two Scoots...one G'town

2014 Vespa LX150 2014 StellaAuto 125
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 12:26 AM   #3

Hey, that's some good information. I will be carrying a Honda CRF250L and a Yamaha Vino 125 Scooter. I put the Versahauler on the motorhome with the bikes just to make sure everything fits...and it does. I think I will follow your lead and take it to a hitch guy and have the class 4 welded on. Thanks for the info.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:31 AM   #4

Good...glad it was helpful...one more thing I forgot...
Tongue weight is the same as coach weight so you need to have 650 lbs carrying capacity to spare for both the coach AND the rear axle...hopefully a bit more as the lever effect of the weight outboard the end of the coach actually impacts more dynamically than if it was over the rear axle.
Have fun ...scoot on....and pix when yer done!!
2014 Vespa LX150 2014 StellaAuto 125
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 11:33 PM   #5

Well, finally got a cool hitch/receiver installed on the motorhome to accommodate the two motorcycle Versahauler rack. Couldn't be happier. Decided on a Curt Class IV with a 1,000 lb. tongue weight max. Made specifically for the F-53 chassis on my Georgetown. Luckily I don't have any welded frame extensions, so according to the hitch professional that did the installation there should be no problems. My advise for anyone searching for a heavy duty motorhome hitch is to look into one that is specifically made for YOUR chassis. It will take some digging as most trailer supply companies don't list them for specific motorhome chassis for a number of reasons. It's worth some digging, however.