Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2012, 12:02 PM   #1

"Virgin" Trailer Tower Here

Ok, so I'm not necessarily new to this towing thing. I grew up on a farm, drove my first tractor at 7, learned how to back rigs into tight campsites, had previously owned a 30' class C, with which we towed a car with & most recently a 24' Nomad TT.
We've just become the proud owners of a shiny, new 3065WA (34.5') & are taking it up to Door County, WI next week for it's shakedown cruise. Pulling with my '06 Silverado DMAX, w/short bed, but for whatever reason, I'm feeling those cold sweats about getting this setup into small streets & not being able to navigate, make turns without clipping lamp posts, etc. Thinking back to my class C, which I handled in Quebec City ok, I can't understand this fear.
If anyone has their own experiences, or hints on relieving my stress, please let me know. I'm sure everything will be ok, it's just that I'm finding myself quite unsure of my ability at this time!
P.S. At 54y/o, I'm pretty capable overall...
mdesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:21 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Just take it slow, look ahead, and swing wide.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:41 PM   #3

I'd start with a couple glasses of wine, and maybe play some soft music. If you feel a sharp pain, then just ease up a minute until it passes, then proceed naturally.

As far as driving your camper goes, same thing, just relax and go slow. Be aware of you surroundings and the road ahead.
crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:46 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

And if all else fails, just remember, three rights make a left!
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:01 PM   #5

Ha, thanks guys. Actually, I think making the left turn should be the easy one. I remember my dad dropping my mom off to do some shopping in Canada, with our pickup camper. He failed to notice a street sign someone had previously hit/bending it into the street a bit. A sharp scraping noise, followed by the sound of the picture window exploding ensued...
Rubber side down!
Old 09-26-2012, 03:15 PM   #6

You are correct, it the right turns that will jump out and get ya. Like riding a bike, it will come back. TAKE ALL the asphalt you need, they will move if need be. Watch that right mirror...
2008 Harley Davidson Road King 105th Anniversary
(2011-5 bad year)(2012-40)(2013-45)(2014-23)
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:37 PM   #7
Always Learning

I've towed next to nothing before getting the behemoth combination that I have. I went from a kayak trailer to pop-up camper to this fifth wheel.

The dealer sent one of their techs on a 30-45 minute test drive with me when we picked up the camper. His advice, when making turns - watch the wheel of the camper on the inside of the turn. When it passes the obstacle, you can turn as hard as you need and you'll clear whatever the obstacle was.

Other than the tail swing, this has worked wonderfully for me. Yes, I've met a couple of curbs - but the first couple were poor planning on day 1. The others were forced as I didn't have enough room to swing wide. And one, well... I was a little too excited about finding the diesel pump and got focused on that for a second too long (missed the light pole, though!).
Old 10-05-2012, 05:03 PM   #8

Our trailer is 23 feet and after 5 years I still have to remind myself....wide right turns ! Good Luck.

Jim & Kathy
Bailey, waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
Gracie, a rescued Beagle
2007 Chevy Tahoe
2008 FR Surveyor 233T
JimChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:27 AM   #9

Thanks for the hint, ependydad. As it turned out, I fell right back into the swing of things once I hit the road. Even navigated downtown Green Bay, with their narrow streets when my wife accidently plugged in the city center when trying to select Lambeau Field. Only concern I have is as you found out, is when searching for the diesel pump, we're going to be looking for the truck stops for those here on out. Had one instance where I had to snake into a station diagonally & the back of the trailer was almost still out in the street. Inconvienenced one customer, who had to back out of his slot. Ended up ok, as I used his lane when leaving, which allowed for my wide swing leaving.
Another "constructive criticism" hint from a good friend who drove trucks for a living - "When backing up, if you start out straight, you can do anything". Truer words have not been spoken...
Old 10-12-2012, 11:03 AM   #10

If your tow vehicle doesn't extended mirrors, a good set of mirrors becomes your best friend while on the road! I hihghly recommend these McKesh Mirrors

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB
2022 Ford Ranger toad
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote