Old 02-05-2011, 07:37 PM   #11

Ok, the book was worthless so I went back to the door sticker. It lists the "payload" at 1342 lbs. Is that the cargo cap?

The manufacturer lists the hitch weight at 300 lbs for the camper.

Old 02-05-2011, 08:30 PM   #12
Site Team - Lou

Your payload is the maximum amount of weight that the vehicle can carry. It includes all people, things and tounge weight transferred by your weight transfer hitch. With only 1300 pounds available to you, you won't be able to carry much trailer weight at all.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:21 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Lou is right. You will be limited (as am I and most everyone else with an SUV and a family so you're in good company). But I think there is good news for you because of the fact you are looking at the 23LB with a GVWR of only 4800lbs.

So, with that last piece of information (Payload), your truck can carry 1300lbs in it, including the tongue weight (TW) of the trailer.

1300lb payload - 570 family = 730lbs remaining for the TW.

730lb remaining / 13% = 5615lbs. This is the max trailer weight you can tow using only the TV's payload as a limiter.

If the trailer, maxed out to its GVWR, weighs 4800 than a TW at 13% would be 624lbs; less than the 730lbs you have remaining for the trailblazer.

In summary: You are under the TVs max trailer weight and under the TVs payload. You can use this calculator to help you understand how axles and other limits should be considered, as well. Last, if you really want to be sure, take Lou's other suggestion that you get your TV weighed with your family in it.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:55 PM   #14

You guys are awesome :)

Thank you all for your feedback, you have given me lots to think about that I wouldn't have known otherwise. There is a CAT weight station 10 miles from my house so I will load up and go weigh ourselves sometime soon (just be be safe). We will also be attending an RV show in Toledo Ohio this weekend so I will be better informed as to what we can look at based on the information you all have provided.

Thanks for your time, hope to join the RV family in 2011
Old 02-08-2011, 08:02 AM   #15

Helpful links

Thanks Herk and Triguy for the links you provided, now I think I understand what you guys are talking about
Old 02-08-2011, 10:44 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

You're welcome and good luck with your decision. Have fun at the shows.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:03 PM   #17

Talking All the calculations are here

These are the results from Triguys weblink. I went to the CAT station and weighed the vehicle with a full tank of gas and family (didn't load up like vacation but have all my winter junk in it: ie, log chain, flashlight, clothes, shovels) and got a front axle of 2860, rear axle of 2560 and a gross total of 5420. I plugged in these numbers with the rest of the numbers posted previously using a 15% hitch ratio and a 15% safety reduction measure and these are the results:

Max trailer weight 5580
Max Trailer weight with margin 4743
Maximum Toungue weight 837
Maximum Tongue weight with margin 711.

So with a WDH hitch with sway and braking control, I should be right in line with safety and functionality.....right? If I go with a 13% safety margin reduction, I come in at 4855 lb trailer. Is 13% enough wiggle room or should I stick to a higher safety reduction?

I really do appreciate all your help, I have learned a ton already

Safety margin
Enter a percentage (1 to 50) of the tow vehicle′s maximum ratings you wish to leave as a safety margin. Recommended margin is 20%.
Trailer tongue weight percentage override
Leave this box empty for the calculator to use the recommended 15% maximum as the tongue weight. Enter a percentage (1 to 50) to use as tongue weight instead. Recommended range is 10% - 15%.
Calculation Results Weight (lb)* Weight (kg)* Maximum Trailer Weight
This is the maximum trailer weight based on the most restrictive tow vehicle ratings provided (GCWR - GVW).
5,580 lb 2,531 kg Maximum Trailer Weight with Margin
This is the maximum trailer weight based on the most restrictive tow vehicle ratings provided, reduced by a safety margin of 15%.
4,743 lb 2,151 kg Maximum Tongue Weight
This is the recommended maximum tongue weight, based on 15% of the calculated Maximum Trailer Weight.
837 lb 380 kg Maximum Tongue Weight with Margin This is the recommended maximum tongue weight, based on 15% of the calculated Maximum Trailer Weight with Margin.
711 lb 323 kg
Old 02-13-2011, 01:19 AM   #18
Site Team - Lou

Ben,
In my opinion you are doing just fine. Knowing your limits is the beginning of safe and happy camping. Now go rip the dealer's heart out bargaining for that camper!

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:54 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Nice work. You're good to go.

The CAT scales are kinda fun the first time, aren't they?

To answer your question, a TT should be towed with a tongue weight of 10-15% of the trailer's weight. I think 13% is a good compromise. 10% is way low in my opinion.

The heavier the tongue, the more stability, in general. I have had two trailers and did not feel a marked improvement with a 15% tongue YMMV. A lot depends on the construction of the trailer and your vehicle and only you can really decide once you put the two together.

Let us know how the haggling goes for you. Try to do some research on good WD hitchs and brake controllers so you aren't stuck with the cheapies they sometimes try to sell or "throw in for free". Knock 'em dead!
Old 02-13-2011, 01:25 PM   #20

The CAT scales are kinda fun, I had to stretch out on my toes to reach the call button, definitely designed for a trucker sitting in a big rig We are going on Tuesday to talk to a local dealer, he is already within 700 bucks of a setup I found on ebay, should be lots of fun

Tags
23lb, microlite, trailblazer, frog