Old 02-04-2011, 04:40 PM   #1
Question Wanna make the right decision the first time

Ok, I am a trailblazer owner and the family wants a camper. I have a 5.3 V8 on an extended LS trailblazer with a tow capacity around 5800 pounds. We are looking at a 23LB Microlite TT that has a GVWR of around 4800 pounds. The ratings seem right, how bout the length, is 23 foot pushing it for my TV or should I be right on the money? Thanks for all your help, hope to start camping this year with the fam Does anyone have any experience with the 23LB?

Endersbrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:10 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
If you have the 129" wheelbase Trailblazer, then you should be good with the length of that trailer.

You state that you have "a tow capacity around 5800 pounds". How did you come up with that figure ?? Do you know the final drive ratio ?? That will be important in determining your actual tow capacity.

Did your Trailblazer come with the factory tow package ?? That would be important, since it would have the proper wiring harness, hitch, and auxiliary transmission cooler.

BTW, welcome to the forum !!! It is great that you are asking these questions before you buy.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2006 Ford F150 Super Cab 4x4
2008 Surveyor 263
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:24 PM   #3
Site Team
Good for you for asking before buying!! Mtnguy has you on the right track. He knows what he's talking about.
2012 F150 FX4 Ecoboost, 2016 Surveyor 274BHS
2003 Yamaha FJR1300, Demco Premiere Slider
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:48 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Mtnguy's right - we need some more TV info:

TVs weight
Hitch weight limit
TV's cargo capacity

Check the door sticker and/or your manual for these.

Also, estimate the weight of your family and any pets and cargo in the TV.

If that tow cap is 5800, than you can probably tow it. But give the rest of the info to make sure.
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:29 PM   #5
More info

Ok, here we go:
Trailblazer GVWR = 6400 lbs (from door label)
GAWR FRONT = 3200 lbs
GAWR REAR = 3400 lbs
Axle ratio is 3.42 (from manual)
Max trailer weight = 5700 lbs (from manual)
GCWR = 11,000 (from manual)

People weight = 520 lbs
Dogs = 50 lbs

Yes to the factory tow package.

How am i doing so far? Thanks for eveyone's feedback. I saw an earlier post and thought I would start asking for wisdom instead of having an irate wife
Endersbrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:35 PM   #6
Site Team - Lou
Now load everyone up; fill the tank with gas and go weigh that vehicle.
CAT Scale Search

Then you will know what is actually "left over" to tow.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:25 PM   #7
Moderators' Assistant
that TT will weigh around 4000lbs. on the dealer's lot.
so, adding propane, water and cargo, you should still be well within your tow capacity.

so, with a good WDH w/sway control, such as Equalizer or Reese Dual-Cam and a good brake controller, like the Prodigy, you should be good to go.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:44 PM   #8
The only problem I see is the 3.42 rear axle ratio. That's gonna really load that engine. Most fully equiped tow packages have at least a 3.7 or higher. Good Luck.
Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:43 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
Do what Herk said in reply #8, load and weigh. Then you have some math to do. If you get axle weights on the trailblazer, then you can have no more tongue weight than the GAWR rear(3400) minus the actual weight on the rear axle. Equalizer hitch will knock a few pounds off, but that would be max tongue weight. Now take GCWR, (11,000), and subtract your actual total loaded weight, and that will be the max camper weight, fully loaded. Herk did forget to mention one thing, load the trailblazer as if you were going camping, coolers, ice, food, whatever you will put in it, have in it, including, wife, children dogs and cages, dvd players for the kids, suitcases with clothes,etc. All of this adds up. If you think no problem, I'll put it in the camper, then the camper gets heavy fast. And to really make your camper heavy, add 30 gallons of fresh water, in case you ever want to "dry camp", (no water or power), and remember, if the fresh water tank is in front of the axle, the tongue weight could increase over 200 pounds. Glad you are doing your homework before class. We are not here to take anything away form anybody, especially quality family time together. We just don't want anybody's family time to become front page news, and another statistic. Good luck with your decision, and hope this helps.
2012 Ford F250 ext. Cab 4x4
2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 06:45 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
Endersbrab - good job so far. From what you gave, the vehicle should be able to tow that trailer due to its max towing cap and other ratings. But ...

Like most mid-sized half ton SUVs, this trailblazer is limited by its cargo capacity (which you didn't give but is probably 1100-1200lbs). Lessthe family and dog of 570lbs leaving you with a possible tongue weight of 530-630lbs.

Taking the lower of these two numbers (530lbs) and dividing by 13% (a reasonable TW percentage), you have a max trailer that can be towed of 4076lbs.

630lbs remaining / 13% would be 4846lbs, which would work but you really need to verify that cargo cap first.

Since I only guessed as to cargo cap, get the actual rating from your manual, subtract the weight of your family and cargo in the truck and divide by 13%. This will give you a closer approximation of the trailer (loaded) that you can tow. The other numbers look good, I think, but the Trailblazer with a family really cuts into the amount of tongue weight remaining for the TT.

FYI - In case you are wondering - The reason this weight will be lower than Chevy's max trailer weight of 5700lbs, is that Chevy cannot assume what kind of trailer you are towing. A 5700lb boat trailer might be towed but not a 5700lb TT because the TT needs a heavier tongue to help control sway.

Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote

23lb, microlite, trailblazer, frog