Old 04-25-2016, 11:51 PM   #1
Real Nice Clark

WD hitch question

Another WD hitch question:

When we bought our TT recently we had them them provide and install a WD hitch at a discount as part of the sale. They provided a Husky Centerline TS, which I understand isn't a top of the line hitch but I didn't expect it to be for what I paid.

But, looking at it after the fact, I noticed this model has three different versions with varying capacities. The one they provided is rated for 400-600 lbs tongue weight. My TT's listed tongue weight is ~560 lbs (Grey Wolf 19RR). So my question is, aren't I going to be over the hitches recommended pay load with any kind of load at all in the trailer?

I've towed it twice so far with no major concerns in handling, but I also haven't taken it into the mountains or in windy conditions. One thing I did notice is that it seems to make some loud noise turning or towing in bumpy areas at low speeds. Is that normal for a less expensive hitch like this?

I'm not sure what recourse I'd have with the dealer if this is a safety concern since "technically" the model meets the specs of my trailer. They obviously cheaped out on me though, should I look into replacing it with something more heavy duty?

Old 04-25-2016, 11:57 PM   #2

You should be able to order the bars separately. The 600 - 800 lb range is what you're looking for. Keep in mind that everything behind the truck axles will be added to tongue weight so, if you regularly put a few hundred pounds back there, you may want to go a little higher than that..just don't go TOO high. Too little bar and they won't really help that much, but too much bar can give you undesirable results. And yes, they tend to make some noise. Lubricating the bar sockets helps somewhat.

Also...if the dealer installed it, read the directions and reinstall it. From what I've seen, they've got about a 40% chance of setting it up correctly.

Old 04-26-2016, 12:47 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjunkie View Post
One thing I did notice is that it seems to make some loud noise turning or towing in bumpy areas at low speeds. Is that normal for a less expensive hitch like this?
if you have a sway control bar, the noise you hear is coming from that,......very normal, ......just embarrassing when driving slow thru a parking lot and everybody is looking to see who is making that noise,......NEVER put oil on the sway control bar, just live with the noise, its not hurting anything, ........actually, it's working.................

fella10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 03:03 AM   #4

My Equalizer was super noisy when my dealer incorrectly set me up with "nose up."

I readjusted to be level/slightly nose down and most of the noise is gone.

Depending on the WDH, friction (and hence noise) may be by design.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 04-28-2016, 01:26 PM   #5

Have your loaded TW measured. I'm sure it will be over 600 lbs, and you should have the dealer replace with the correct capacity. I don't know about Husky, but it's possible the next size up uses the same head (just replace the bars), but probably not that lucky.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 01:24 AM   #6
Real Nice Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrakeman View Post
Have your loaded TW measured. I'm sure it will be over 600 lbs, and you should have the dealer replace with the correct capacity. I don't know about Husky, but it's possible the next size up uses the same head (just replace the bars), but probably not that lucky.

Been looking into it and it's tough to tell online. I can't find just the bars for sell online anywhere. The Husky website shows the 600-800 and 800-1200 come with the bigger ball size, but it's not really clear if the bars are interchangeable. I'll talk to the dealer.

Thanks for the responses everyone.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:04 AM   #7

First step is getting an accurate TW measurement. Do that before you call anybody. They will want to know what you are actually running, before they sell you something else that you may not need.

Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch