Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2013, 02:04 PM   #1

WD Hitch Setup

I have an Equilizer 14k hitch that was set up by the dealer a few weeks ago, and I haven’t made any adjustments yet. I ran through a scale on an outing without the TT while camping this weekend, and again on the way home with the TT. Without the TT I had the family and some firewood in the TV. With the TT I added a couple bikes and a large cooler. I didn’t think to get any weights without the WD bars in place with the TT. Below are the TV and Trailer ratings, and the weights I wrote down. At first I thought that since the TV front axle weight went down, I needed to adjust the hitch more. I read this and Maybe I don’t?
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post135754

If a WD hitch puts some of the weight back on the TT axles, would that not reduce the cargo capacity of the TT?

Also saw some posts about having oversized bars. I used the hitch selected on the Equalizer website to choose the 14k size. Considering 7,650 lb trailer, 800 lb hitch, and 300 lb behind the axle in the truck. I was surprised that They recommended their largest hitch for our modest trailer but thought bigger wouldn’t hurt any?

The TV and TT are fairly close to being level/parallel to the ground. I’m considering moving the head one hole up the shank, but it may be too much. Since it was set up for me I haven’t taken any of my own measurements or checked theirs yet.

TV = 2011 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 4x4
GAWR = 3,950 lbs
GVWR = 7,000 lbs
GCWR = 15,000 lbs
Max Tongue Weight w/WD Hitch = 1,100 lbs

TT = 2013 PrimeTime Tracer 2670BHS
GWR = 7,650 lbs

TV Without the TT:
Front 3,480
Rear 2,680
Total 6,160

With the TT:
Front 3,380
Rear 3,680
Trailer 5,980
Total 13,080
brianjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:52 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjames View Post
I have an Equilizer 14k hitch that was set up by the dealer a few weeks ago, and I haven’t made any adjustments yet. I ran through a scale on an outing without the TT while camping this weekend, and again on the way home with the TT. Without the TT I had the family and some firewood in the TV. With the TT I added a couple bikes and a large cooler. I didn’t think to get any weights without the WD bars in place with the TT. Below are the TV and Trailer ratings, and the weights I wrote down. At first I thought that since the TV front axle weight went down, I needed to adjust the hitch more. I read this and Maybe I don’t?
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post135754

If a WD hitch puts some of the weight back on the TT axles, would that not reduce the cargo capacity of the TT?

Also saw some posts about having oversized bars. I used the hitch selected on the Equalizer website to choose the 14k size. Considering 7,650 lb trailer, 800 lb hitch, and 300 lb behind the axle in the truck. I was surprised that They recommended their largest hitch for our modest trailer but thought bigger wouldn’t hurt any?

The TV and TT are fairly close to being level/parallel to the ground. I’m considering moving the head one hole up the shank, but it may be too much. Since it was set up for me I haven’t taken any of my own measurements or checked theirs yet.

TV = 2011 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 4x4
GAWR = 3,950 lbs
GVWR = 7,000 lbs
GCWR = 15,000 lbs
Max Tongue Weight w/WD Hitch = 1,100 lbs

TT = 2013 PrimeTime Tracer 2670BHS
GWR = 7,650 lbs

TV Without the TT:
Front 3,480
Rear 2,680
Total 6,160

With the TT:
Front 3,380
Rear 3,680
Trailer 5,980
Total 13,080
Did you measure with the measure tape before and after loading? If so, how much did the front end rise and the rear squat?
steeleshark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:19 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Since the 2 weigh-ins were with different loads in the truck, it is a bit hard to figure out. Outside of the bikes and cooler, were all other passenger and cargo loads the same ?? If so, and the cooler and bikes were added in front of the rear axle, my thought is that you may tighten up a bit on the WDH to get a little more weight on the front axle.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeleshark2 View Post
Did you measure with the measure tape before and after loading? If so, how much did the front end rise and the rear squat?
I need to do the measuring yet. It's just hard to take time to do with the family when loaded like we would be on a trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
Since the 2 weigh-ins were with different loads in the truck, it is a bit hard to figure out. Outside of the bikes and cooler, were all other passenger and cargo loads the same ?? If so, and the cooler and bikes were added in front of the rear axle, my thought is that you may tighten up a bit on the WDH to get a little more weight on the front axle.
The loads couldn't have been too much different. All passenger and other gear was the same. The bikes and cooler were on/behind the rear axle. maybe 100-150 pounds total.
brianjames is offline   Reply With Quote