Old 07-12-2012, 11:58 PM   #11

I agree. If you can afford it, get a better quality WDH. I have an Equalizer and glad I did. My 34ft TT loaded just lays back and follows very well. I hear good things about a Reece WDH too. BTW, I have a P2 and it does well. Considering upgrading to the P3 in the near future.

2006 Dodge 2500 Crew Cab 5.9L Cummins 4X4 200k mls
2010 Forest River Flagstaff 831QBSS - Equal-i-zer Hitch
2011 HD FatboyLo & 2000 Honda Shadow 1100
Nights Camped 2010 (7), 2011 (15), 2012 (35) 2013 (40) 2014 (22) 2015 (12) 2016 (10) 2017 (?)
troyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:14 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider View Post
You can haul it, but you won't be setting any speed records. Also going to be close on gross weight of the camper if you haul mush over some dirt bikes. The truck may be rated at 9300 for towing, but how much stuff you putting it? The rating is truck, full fuel, and driver only. There are a lot more numbers to consider, although you have a good start. You can do a search for towing calculator, and get some good ideas. As for hitch, I use the Reese dual cam, and won't ever tow with anything less. Since you didn't mention wheelbase of your truck, towing distance you may be traveling and whether highway or back roads, hard to say what you need. Just remember, cheaper to spend an extra coupe hundred for a good hitch, know your done, than buy a cheap one, and have to buy the good one later. Just some thoughts, your truck, trailer and billfold.
I mis-spoke on the actual payload. Its actually 1630 lbs.

Not looking to set any speed records. I plan to tow at proper towing speeds. As for the ability to get up and go with the trailer I'm confident the truck will handle that just fine. The truck had 365 ft lbs of torque stock. I have it custom tuned and it made it a completely different truck. Not the typical sluggish 5.4 everyone is used to. The wheelbase is 144.5" on my truck. And It will be towing over the interstate all the way to the two track back roads of Nevada.
We are pretty minimalist campers when compared to a lot of others to be honest. This trailer is going to be a big change for us from tent camping. We ordered the most basic of basic options wise though.

Two four wheelers loaded into it we are looking at 1000 lbs. putting the weight at ~6k (as for now we only have one sport quad weighing in at 400 lbs). with 1000 lbs of ATVs That leaves 1600lbs for the water and miscellaneous. I think we'll be fine. Fresh water tank is 56 gallons which weighs 467 lbs. After 1000 lbs of ATVs that leaves ~1100 lbs. I'd be surprised if we surpass that with our miscellaneous. But Im sure there are things Im forgetting. But I'll get it within the safe limits.

I'm fully aware there is much more to consider but I figured those are good starting points. I'm not like a lot of people I see who see a tow rating of 9300 lbs and run out and buy a 7,000 lb dry weight trailer. The last thing I want to do is exceed the limits of the equipment. That's why in my mind this was about as big as we were going to go TT wise.

When I get the trailer I will load it up as if we were going on a full fledged trip and run over to the CAT scales 40 miles away and see where we're at. Then adjust from there. Im sure it will be close for GCVW for truck and trailer combined but I think I can get it within specs. Which is more than a lot of setups on the road can say!

The Reese dual cam was one I was looking at. I was just curious if it was a "better" equipment type of thing or just a "newer and fancier" type of thing when compared to the other options.

Thanks for your input. Feel free to elaborate or address anything you think I'm overlooking.

Old 07-13-2012, 12:56 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

You are looking at the dry weight of the camper, or at least that is where the link went. Since you have the camper, look inside the door for a yellow sticker, that will be the "ship weight". Hopefully the awning was on it, so it was weighed when it left the factory. Now did the dealer add anything that wasn't weighed? Now add the weight of the battery, or batteries, the weight of propane, and I noticed a fuel station, so how much gas you hauling? (gas is 6 pounds per gallon). Dishes, pots, pans silverware, food, can go 200 pounds or more. Now you add clothes, chairs, outside tables, and whatever. You can easily add 1000 pounds from the ship weight, and you haven't loaded the toys yet.

Now, from post #12:

"I mis-spoke on the actual payload. Its actually 1630 lbs."

That second ATV is going to push the limits, especially if you have fuel and water on board. All of that is payload as far as the camper is concerned.

As for your truck, it ain't the horsepower, it's the springs and axles, and the brakes somewhat that determine what you can tow.

Last suggestion, when, you get the trailer loaded, fuel, water and clothes, ready for camping, hit the scales as intended. Make sure you weigh the trailer and then unload the ATV and weigh again. Gross weight rating on the trailer, minus what it weighs without the 4 wheeler will give you payload you have left. Hope you got room for that other toy, and sorry, not trying to rain on your parade., and no, I'm not the weight police. You made the comment in post #12 "The last thing I want to do is exceed the limits of the equipment"
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:15 AM   #14

Your hauler is exactly the same as mine except I have a sandstorm. I have a 2005 Nissan Titan and I got the 1200/12000 equalizer and it works great no sway and no bounce. I would highly suggest you pay the extra money for a equalizer hitch. Considering you have a half ton also spend the money and get a good one you won't regret it.
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:25 AM   #15

Something to consider, I saw a post earlier about loading on the smaller TH capacity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotech View Post
That 7360 is measured on a Cat scale. I knew the 1650 lbs listed carry capacity would be close but lost another 300 lbs before I started. Unloaded and unhitched, the axles weighed 5480 and the hitch 1040, total 6520. With a 7876 gvwr, I only have 1356 of load capacity.

My atv weighs around 800 lbs. I was probably pushing but not exceeding the 1356 lbs. I also have a weight distributing hitch which may be pushing some of the front weight back to the axles. Anyway, the specs are very misleading and the design is faulty if using it as intended and loading it accordingly puts the axle weight over the design limits by 360 lbs. Interestingly, the warning sticker in the garage says to limit the weight in there at 2000 lbs and the specs limit it to 1650. ?? I had no more than 1000 lbs in the garage.
Just an FYI. I know his TH is a bit bigger and weighs a little more, but food for thought. Remember that the weight of the quads will be directly over and behind the axles. This might also transfer some weight off of the tongue (see-saw effect) and put it on the TT axles.
'12: 27
Rsgtivr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:44 AM   #16

You may want to consider an Andersen Hitch. It does everything my Reese did but also it's silent, greaseless and eliminates bounce and is a snap to connect. I'm happy with it. So far I've towed about 1500 miles with it. It's fairly new and most people don't know much about it. Here is a video.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:46 AM   #17

By the way, I'm pulling a 21' toyhauler with a 5.4l f150 loaded with a rzr.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:11 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

As far as the WDH, any of the popular brands with integrated sway control should work well. Equal-i-zer 4 pt., Reese Straight Line Dual Cam, or Blue Ox Sway Pro. I am not sold yet on the Anderson....just not enough information out there yet. The Husky Centerline is also an option, but I understand you need to have the TV and trailer almost straight to hook up that system.

With the listed 661 lbs. tongue weight, usually I would say go with 1000-1200 lb. spring bars. But with a toy hauler, when you load the 4 wheelers, it is gonna take weight off of the tongue. My suggestion there would be to load them as far forward as possible. When traveling without the 4 wheelers, the tongue is gonna probably be heavy, so I think 1000-1200 lb bars are gonna be your best bet for overall functionality.

Probably the biggest obstacle with your setup is gonna be the truck GVWR.....that is mine with almost the same truck. Last time headed to the beach with the missus and dog, and the bed filled with camping and beach stuff, I was within 40 lbs. of my GVWR when I went across the scales.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:12 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider View Post
You are looking at the dry weight of the camper, or at least that is where the link went. Since you have the camper, look inside the door for a yellow sticker, that will be the "ship weight". Hopefully the awning was on it, so it was weighed when it left the factory. Now did the dealer add anything that wasn't weighed? Now add the weight of the battery, or batteries, the weight of propane, and I noticed a fuel station, so how much gas you hauling? (gas is 6 pounds per gallon). Dishes, pots, pans silverware, food, can go 200 pounds or more. Now you add clothes, chairs, outside tables, and whatever. You can easily add 1000 pounds from the ship weight, and you haven't loaded the toys yet.

Now, from post #12:

"I mis-spoke on the actual payload. Its actually 1630 lbs."

That second ATV is going to push the limits, especially if you have fuel and water on board. All of that is payload as far as the camper is concerned.

As for your truck, it ain't the horsepower, it's the springs and axles, and the brakes somewhat that determine what you can tow.

Last suggestion, when, you get the trailer loaded, fuel, water and clothes, ready for camping, hit the scales as intended. Make sure you weigh the trailer and then unload the ATV and weigh again. Gross weight rating on the trailer, minus what it weighs without the 4 wheeler will give you payload you have left. Hope you got room for that other toy, and sorry, not trying to rain on your parade., and no, I'm not the weight police. You made the comment in post #12 "The last thing I want to do is exceed the limits of the equipment"
The fueling station holds 40 gallons. But I don't plan to carry fuel in the fueling tank. I'll have a few jerry cans in the bed of the truck though.

The 1630 lbs payload comment was payload of the truck...not payload of the trailer. Are we getting the two confused here? Payload of the trailer is 2663 lbs. According to the specs on the website the trailer is 4939 lbs "Dry ship weight". The awning is standard so I would assume that's included in the shipped weight?
And I do not yet have the trailer. We ordered it so we will be waiting a month or two to get it.

The dealer is not adding anything for me.

We opted to go without the on board generator and several other extras. Like I said, its the most basic of basic for this model trailer.

I believe you are seriously underestimating how minimal we are when compared to other RVers. We were tent campers before this and everything we ever needed was put in the 6.5" bed of my F150 (aside from the ATV) and remained below the bed rails. We will be packing the same way even with the trailer as we have never felt like we needed anything more.
As for outside "necessities" we will have two (maybe three) lightweight camp chairs, One small table, a two foot by one foot charcoal grill, a lantern and.....I cant think of much else we bring for outside to be honest.

I know horsepower has nothing to do with what my truck can tow. I made those comments in response to your "you won't set any speed records" comment.

Our first full on trip with the trailer will likely be without any 4 wheelers in it so it will be easy to see where Im at payload wise before putting any toys in it.

If I add 1000 lbs from the ship weight that puts it at 5939 lbs before any toys are loaded. That leaves me with 1722 lbs to work with before reaching the GVWR of the trailer.

I value experienced RVers' opinions. I know you aren't trying to rain on my parade. I appreciate the commentary. I know there are things I am going to overlook so I appreciate the info as it gives me stuff to consider. I hope you dont take my replies are argumentative. Just conversing on the topic and learning what I can.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:21 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo700 View Post
Your hauler is exactly the same as mine except I have a sandstorm. I have a 2005 Nissan Titan and I got the 1200/12000 equalizer and it works great no sway and no bounce. I would highly suggest you pay the extra money for a equalizer hitch. Considering you have a half ton also spend the money and get a good one you won't regret it.
Thanks for the info! I definitely plan to get a WD/sway control hitch. Just trying to figure out whats going to work best as far as quality, effectiveness, and price goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsgtivr6 View Post
Something to consider, I saw a post earlier about loading on the smaller TH capacity.

Just an FYI. I know his TH is a bit bigger and weighs a little more, but food for thought. Remember that the weight of the quads will be directly over and behind the axles. This might also transfer some weight off of the tongue (see-saw effect) and put it on the TT axles.
Thanks for posting that. I know that its all going to have to be some sort of balancing act and I'm starting to figure out I can't go off of raw numbers as everything effects everything else in one way or another. I'm going to have to load it for its intents and purposes and find out if its going to work the way I want or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfun1 View Post
You may want to consider an Andersen Hitch. It does everything my Reese did but also it's silent, greaseless and eliminates bounce and is a snap to connect. I'm happy with it. So far I've towed about 1500 miles with it. It's fairly new and most people don't know much about it. Here is a video.

Thanks. I will check into that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
As far as the WDH, any of the popular brands with integrated sway control should work well. Equal-i-zer 4 pt., Reese Straight Line Dual Cam, or Blue Ox Sway Pro. I am not sold yet on the Anderson....just not enough information out there yet. The Husky Centerline is also an option, but I understand you need to have the TV and trailer almost straight to hook up that system.

With the listed 661 lbs. tongue weight, usually I would say go with 1000-1200 lb. spring bars. But with a toy hauler, when you load the 4 wheelers, it is gonna take weight off of the tongue. My suggestion there would be to load them as far forward as possible. When traveling without the 4 wheelers, the tongue is gonna probably be heavy, so I think 1000-1200 lb bars are gonna be your best bet for overall functionality.

Probably the biggest obstacle with your setup is gonna be the truck GVWR.....that is mine with almost the same truck. Last time headed to the beach with the missus and dog, and the bed filled with camping and beach stuff, I was within 40 lbs. of my GVWR when I went across the scales.
Thanks a ton for the info! Those spring bar weight ratings are exactly what I was trying to figure out. I figured I'd want to go a bit heavy for the rating but wasn't sure by how much. That helps me a ton.
I figured I was going to have to keep an eye on payload and GVWR on the truck more so than the actual tow capacity. It appears that its impossible to put the tow rating to full use without being WAAAY over on everything else.