Old 07-12-2012, 09:36 PM   #1

WD/sway control hitch?

Hey everyone. Noob to the site. The wife and I just purchased our first ever camp trailer. We opted for a 2013 Forest River Shockwave 21FSMX toyhauler. It should be in in a few (short?) weeks.
I've towed quite a bit in the past but this will be my first experience with a TT. I obviously want to do it right. I was wondering if anyone had any feedback on what WD/anti sway setups I should consider. Are the $500-$600 units really worth the extra penny over the $250-$400 units? (stupid question?...probably).
Through my searches it seems as though the cheaper units are simply...well....simpler (chains and friction pads vs spiffy bars and fancy cams) . Should I opt for the higher end units or will the lower priced units work just as good?
I'm still real green in this area so take it easy on me. These questions have stemmed from only short spurts of browsing sites like etrailer.com.

My truck is a 2004 F150 with 5.4L and 3.73 gears, a 9300 lb tow rating and 1400 lbs payload. And here's the trailer specs if this info helps with the input:

http://www.forestriverinc.com/nd/def...99&series=MXTT

Also, what weight ratings would be recommended to have the proper setup for my trailer specs?

From what I've read I believe I will be getting a Prodigy P2 BC. Any input
on that aspect also welcome. Thanks guys!
P.S. Forgive me if a simple search would have answered all of my questions and cured cancer. Feel free to post links to useful threads if felt necessary.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:42 PM   #2

i am in your shoes trying to learn all i can we are about to buy are first camper and i am soaking up all the information i can

Old 07-12-2012, 09:48 PM   #3
Site Team

I have the less expensive set up and it works great. No problems at all - no sway even on the freeway with simi trucks passing.

With that said if I had the budget when I brought my TT I would consider the popular more expensive set up. There seems to be many happy users of the upgraded version. Some members with this system have commented about feeling safer.

When I brought my TT I didn't know anything about RVing so I was unaware of the different setup choices except to get the P2 brake controller. My brother brought a different brand trying to save a little money and ended up buying the P2 unit which worked well. There is a P3 BC but I don't what the difference is. (Unless it just a newer model?)

More experienced members will be sharing their views.

Expect a discussion similar to "Coke or Pepsi". LOL- we are loyal to our stuff.

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:54 PM   #4

any suggestions on break controller i have 2012 tundra 5.7
Old 07-12-2012, 09:56 PM   #5

I am picking up my new Flagstaff Micro Lite 25DS tomorrow and opted for the high dollar hitch because of past experiences with the diiferent types. What the heck this will all be included into the package anyway.
http://www.forestriverinc.com/nd/def...ries=MicroLite
Old 07-12-2012, 10:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
I have the less expensive set up and it works great. No problems at all - no sway even on the freeway with simi trucks passing.

With that said if I had the budget I would consider the popular more expensive set up. There seems to be many happy users of the upgraded version.
Out of curiosity, what makes and models are you referring to?
Old 07-12-2012, 10:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren View Post
I've heard the Prodigy P2 or P3 are the way to go brake controller wise.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackrock View Post
I am picking up my new Flagstaff Micro Lite 25DS tomorrow and opted for the high dollar hitch because of past experiences with the diiferent types. What the heck this will all be included into the package anyway.
http://www.forestriverinc.com/nd/def...ries=MicroLite
Very nice. We would have opted for something similar if we didn't need the toyhauler.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:13 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

You can haul it, but you won't be setting any speed records. Also going to be close on gross weight of the camper if you haul mush over some dirt bikes. The truck may be rated at 9300 for towing, but how much stuff you putting it? The rating is truck, full fuel, and driver only. There are a lot more numbers to consider, although you have a good start. You can do a search for towing calculator, and get some good ideas. As for hitch, I use the Reese dual cam, and won't ever tow with anything less. Since you didn't mention wheelbase of your truck, towing distance you may be traveling and whether highway or back roads, hard to say what you need. Just remember, cheaper to spend an extra coupe hundred for a good hitch, know your done, than buy a cheap one, and have to buy the good one later. Just some thoughts, your truck, trailer and billfold.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren View Post
The P3 isn't much more than the P2, but it does add some nice features. I have the P3 and I think it is great. Do you NEED the LCD screen and on screen diagnostics? Probably not, but I do like the looks, up front controls and visible display much better than my dad's old P2 with just voltages. I got mine for about $120. The P2 runs maybe 10-20 less than that. as said before, it's all in what flavor you like.

As far as WDH, I wanted the Equalizer, but they wanted $700 to tack one on with installation, but threw in the Curt installed for free. If I could do it again, I would have pushed for the Equalizer more. The sway controller is kind of a PITA to mess with IMO.

Last, I recommend getting a locking (keyed) pin for the receiver and a coupler lock for the tongue. Much more secure that way, but still keep a spare set of pins in the TV or TT just in case. If you look for them, you can find hitch sets that are keyed alike.

Welcome and

'12: 27
Rsgtivr6 is offline   Reply With Quote