Old 05-28-2016, 09:55 AM   #1

WDH adjustment

I'm pulling a Wildwood 27RKSS with a 2004 F150. The dealership set up the Blue Ox WDH a year ago when we purchased it and the truck pulled the TT good with little to no sway and a fairly smooth ride.
The TV without the TT sat un level so I put a leveling kit on the front now uncoupled, the front and back sit at 36.5 inches using the bottom of the fender as reference.
I coupled the TT and it went nose down in the front so I raised the the hitch up. Now the TT is level when coupled but no matter how I adjust the WDH the truck sits 1 3/4" lower in the back than the front and the front is at 36 1/4 and the back 34 1/2.
I live in a remote area and do not have access to scales to check weight but nothing has changed in the TT so its all the same with the only difference being the lift kit in the front.
Are there adjustments other than hight and chain links. I've tried 8,9,and 10 links with no difference at all. I guess the question is what does the chain link on the spring bars do from one link to the next. Does it effect the level or the sway? I need just a little clarity.

Hitch weight 720
UVW 6393
Blue Ox Sway Pro
Spring bars two dot
TV suspension on rear is stock
Front lifted 2.5"

Old 05-28-2016, 12:44 PM   #2

That TT has a heavier tongue weight. Truck is is going to sag in rear. Recovering the front is more important. What does the front measure the TT attached but spring bars not attached?

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
Nights camping in 2017: 20 nights
Miles traveled in 2017: 1,530
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 03:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmymjr View Post
The TV without the TT sat un level so I put a leveling kit on the front now uncoupled, the front and back sit at 36.5 inches using the bottom of the fender as reference.
I coupled the TT and it went nose down in the front so I raised the the hitch up. Now the TT is level when coupled but no matter how I adjust the WDH the truck sits 1 3/4" lower in the back than the front and the front is at 36 1/4 and the back 34 1/2.

Hitch weight 720
UVW 6393
Blue Ox Sway Pro
Spring bars two dot
TV suspension on rear is stock
Front lifted 2.5"
A couple of observations. First, you're overloaded on the front end. You're lower in front when hitched than you are unhitched. Adjust your WDH to get the front end back to your 36.5" unloaded height. Second, your TW is a good bit more than 720. That's dry weight according to what I looked up so probably closer to 900. Adjusted properly, I would expect about an inch or so of squat and the truck is designed to ride levelly with some payload in it, hence why it sat higher in back unloaded. What you did when you "leveled" it, is defeat the design and now the front end will ride high when hitched as the rears squats. The only way I see to fix that is to remove the lift kit or add air bags. Without the lift kit and with the bars adjusted for your front end to unloaded height, I'd imagine you would only be about 1/2" low in the back.

To answer your question about chain links, the tighter the bars are (less chain between the bars and the anchor point for a given bar angle), the more leverage is applied to the hitch bringing the rear up and the front down.
Old 05-29-2016, 08:38 AM   #4

WDH adjustment

I'll be readjusting it today. I'll measure it without the spring bars and repost.
As to the the tongue weight I posted, that's what's on the data plate. I thought it was a little light. According to the Ford dealer the TV as equipped is good for 9000 so I should be ok for the overall weight. I need to find some scales and get the real information. I'm doing all of these adjustments with the TT empty to start with and will go from there.
Thanks for your replies and help. Hopefully we will get it worked out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-29-2016, 09:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmymjr View Post
I'll be readjusting it today. I'll measure it without the spring bars and repost.
As to the the tongue weight I posted, that's what's on the data plate. I thought it was a little light. According to the Ford dealer the TV as equipped is good for 9000 so I should be ok for the overall weight. I need to find some scales and get the real information. I'm doing all of these adjustments with the TT empty to start with and will go from there.
Thanks for your replies and help. Hopefully we will get it worked out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I hear ya, BUT for anykind of accuracy, you need to have the TT loaded for camping to get a good setup. Even from there, the final adjustment can vary a little each trip. However, at least load the camper to start with and work from there. As mentioned above, leveling the front really threw off any orginal set up that you made. For the trip to the scales have everything loaded, people, gear in the truck and camper, etc. That's the only way to get a true weight.
2007 Dodge 2500 CDT QCSB/Blue Ox Sway Pro 1500lb WDH, Maxxis 8008 225 x 75 x15 LR E tires/J T Strongarms
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 10:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by raspivey View Post
A couple of observations. First, you're overloaded on the front end. You're lower in front when hitched than you are unhitched. Adjust your WDH to get the front end back to your 36.5" unloaded height. Second, your TW is a good bit more than 720. That's dry weight according to what I looked up so probably closer to 900. Adjusted properly, I would expect about an inch or so of squat and the truck is designed to ride levelly with some payload in it, hence why it sat higher in back unloaded. What you did when you "leveled" it, is defeat the design and now the front end will ride high when hitched as the rears squats. The only way I see to fix that is to remove the lift kit or add air bags. Without the lift kit and with the bars adjusted for your front end to unloaded height, I'd imagine you would only be about 1/2" low in the back.

To answer your question about chain links, the tighter the bars are (less chain between the bars and the anchor point for a given bar angle), the more leverage is applied to the hitch bringing the rear up and the front down.
x2.. I wouldn't sweat the 1/4" drop in the front, but the 2" drop in the back might be improved with air bags.

TT: 2013 26' Revere TBQB
TV: 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 Z71 4x4
glen1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 10:04 AM   #7
Professional Curmudgeon

I understand that when the truck is unhitched it sits level and when you hitched it up the TT tongue went down and the truck nose went up (normal), so you raised the hitch to level the TT then tried to bring the truck nose down using the torsion bars.
The problem I see is that the ball on the hitch and the coupler on the tongue are supposed to be the same height when unhitched. Then, when hitched, you use the bars to bring the front of the truck down. This also moves tongue weight to the TT axle(s), which is going to raise the tongue.
2012 F250 Lariat 6.2L Crew Cab FX4
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 10:04 AM   #8
Usually Confused Member

Sorta related to this thread: what is the effect of changing the "tilt" for the ball? i.e. Moving it from 10 degrees back to 8 degrees back.

Vengeance 25V (the Harley needed a home)
emm-dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 10:14 AM   #9
Professional Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Sorta related to this thread: what is the effect of changing the "tilt" for the ball? i.e. Moving it from 10 degrees back to 8 degrees back.
Changing the tilt of the ball affects the angle of the torsion bars. When properly adjusted the bars should be fairly parallel to the tongue. If the ball is upright, your bars may end up pointing upwards with only one link at the hooks, and may not be able to even generate enough torque to shift any weight. If it's angle back too far, your bars will point downward requiring more links in order to shift the weight. The problem here is, any flexing at the ball (dip in the road, etc.) will result in too much torque and could bend bars or break something.
2012 F250 Lariat 6.2L Crew Cab FX4
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 12:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen1971 View Post
x2.. I wouldn't sweat the 1/4" drop in the front, but the 2" drop in the back might be improved with air bags.
Every manual I've read from the WDH manufacturers say to never drop the front end lower than it was before you started. Other than that, I agree. 2" isn't all that bad...although I'd think about 1-1/4" would be closer for his TW. That may be because the truck is a 2004 and the suspension may be a little bit worn out. The problem is, the drop is exaggerated due to raising the front end up. I'd actually look into air bags in this case. The primary function of WDH is to return weight to the front end, not eliminate rear squat, although that's usually the result. Between the 2.5 front lift and possibly weak suspension, that hitch will never bring the rear up to the level he's looking for. The bags would let him leave the lift kit and then raise the rear when loaded to compensate.