Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2014, 08:58 AM   #1

WDH Adjustment

I am trying to adjust my WDH to take out the "squireliness" and "twitch" when I am pulling. I now have the TV ball a full three inches higher than the TT coupler. Now coupled my front height measurement is the same as unloaded but my rear is still down 1 1/2". I have 5 washers in the hitch. Now the front of my TT is a full 2 1/2" higher than the rear. I can easily load front heavy in the TT, but is this within specs? Why wont this thing level up? What am I missing?
Skippy38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 09:33 AM   #2

sounds like you need to start over. figure out what height the coupler is at when your tt is level. set your ball about 2" above that. then hookup and adjust hitch until the front of your TV is at stock height. rear end should be down from stock.
jgroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 09:38 AM   #3

Ball is now at 2" above coupler. Front of TV is down 1/4" and rear is down 1 1/2". TT is within 1/2" of being level with front 1/2" higher than the rear. Bars set on 6th chain link and bars are level. Am I splitting hairs here? Is this close enough?
Old 09-11-2014, 11:39 AM   #4

sounds pretty close. only thing I would say is 1/4" down in the front might be to much. the only way to know is bring it to the scales and get all your weights. what does the front measure on the 5th link?
Old 09-11-2014, 11:49 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgroff View Post
sounds pretty close. only thing I would say is 1/4" down in the front might be to much. the only way to know is bring it to the scales and get all your weights. what does the front measure on the 5th link?
Unloaded front height is 35 1/2", Link 6 = 35 1/4", Link 5 = 35". On link 5 the bars are fairly bowed and not parallel to the frame. On link 6 the bars are very slightly bowed and parallel so it looks like link 6 is the one. I guess the only way to test it will be to go on a trip..... darn it! Haha...
Old 09-11-2014, 12:17 PM   #6

link 5 puts more pressure on the bars. so go the opposite way what does link 7 do?

sounds like you have it really close.
Old 09-11-2014, 12:25 PM   #7

I didn't try link 7 but will next time I have it hooked up. I think that this is as close as I can get it. Before my TV rear end was ducking down about 3 inches, now it is only 1.5" down which has to improve my handling. Wouldn't link 7 make the rear end go down more with less pressure on the bars?
Old 09-11-2014, 01:47 PM   #8

Yes link 7 might not work at all and the rear end will drop to much. Or it will stay at where you have it and the front end will be up a bit. I would check it to Confirm. You are close either way.
Old 09-11-2014, 03:51 PM   #9

WDH Adjustment

Not sure of the type of hitch you have. I have a Blue Ox and here's what I did. I first measured the height of the coupler with the trailer level.,then I measured the wheel well hight of the truck front and rear. I hooked up the trailer and adjusted the links until the truck wheel well measurements were the same as unloaded (link 6 from the bar). I found that the coupler was 2 inches higher than level. I have a 6 hole shank, so I called Blue Ox and they will send me a 9 hole shank as a direct exchange. When I get the shank I will lower the head 2 inches so the truck and trailer are level. I think that is pretty much how there are supposed to be set up. Keep in mind that the dynamics are always changing. I set up the hitch with the weight I will be carrying to Florida for the winter. When I use it locally I will be carrying more weight and the combo may not always be level. I hope this helps.

Started Out With Nothing,
Still Have Most Of It Left!
jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote