Old 08-10-2015, 12:51 PM   #1

WDH ball set-up

I spent five (5) hours Saturday in a closed grocery store parking lot trying to get my TT and the WDH ball to work together. The problem is that when I hook up I have to beat the latch for the TT hitch to get it to sit in the lock position. When I unhitch it's the same problem. I have to beat the latch to get it to let go. I tried different heights with the unit hooked up, no luck. I made humpteen adjustments to the WDH by adding and removing the washer/spacers on the WDH, no luck. The day I bought this TT the dealer's set-up people had to bang, raise/lower, use a floor jack under the TT tongue, and literally stand on the TT front frame and jump up and down to get the TT to latch on. Of course they told me that once I drive some miles with this hitch latched and the oil they shot into the latch mechanism got into it then the hitch would work perfect. NOT! I have watched a few YouTube videos on how to set up the WDH to get the ball angle just right but none of these helped. At one point I even removed the ball (2 5/16") from the WDH and tried to latch it into the TT hitch-it went in with no problem. At that point I stood back and looked at the angle the ball was at and it appeared to be sitting straight up/down. I adjusted the WDH so that the ball looked the same way and the TT would not latch onto the ball as I think it should. I even walked back a bit to look at the ball on the truck to see if it may be sitting off sideways. It looked fine. I had read where someone else had been having this problem and it was caused by the undercoating that had been sprayed into the hitch part of the TT. I went and got a can of brake cleaner and a brush then sprayed the cleaner into the hitch of the TT and used the brush to try and remove anything in there that would be causing a problem. Nothing much came out as I wiped the inside of the TT hitch with a rag. I've tried grease on the ball and that didn't help either. This is the same WDH that I had with my previous TT and I had no problems with hooking up that TT. Any suggestions- - please.

Old 08-10-2015, 01:07 PM   #2

For whatever reason I find with my Hemi that I end up having to either back or pull forward (Very slightly, not even move TT) to position ball in coupler so that it will release. Not sure why, never had to do that with 3 previous bumper pulls.

2007 Dodge 2500 CDT QCSB/Blue Ox Sway Pro 1500lb WDH, Maxxis 8008 225 x 75 x15 LR E tires/J T Strongarms
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 07:44 PM   #3

Is the hight on the TT hitch the same as the trailer coupling when it's sitting level?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-10-2015, 07:45 PM   #4

Sorry I meant TV not TT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-10-2015, 08:33 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
I end up having to either back or pull forward (Very slightly, not even move TT) to position ball in coupler so that it will release.
X2 / hitch or unhitch it has to be darn near perfect

That said, I did read on the forum in the past that one member had to get a new hitch installed on his tt.
2017-67 / 16-92 / 15-73 / 14-60 / 13-33
Seasonal
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 11:02 PM   #6

I have noticed with my new TT the trailer moves forward slightly when raising the tongue with the jack. I just pull the vehicle forward slightly (probably 1/2 inch) to remove the pressure from the coupler and it unlatches easily.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:49 AM   #7
Engineer of Crazy Train

My new Roo is a bit hard to latch. I have my hitch angled back a bit. I make sure that i am pulled forward, and it may need a tap on the latch to engage. Seems to be getting easier each time.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 08:55 AM   #8

I wrestle with the same problem - mostly just on unhitching. It doesn't always work but I think I've found that it's best to put a little forward pressure on the ball (pull the truck forward the slightest amount) to relieve pressure on the latch to allow it to release.

The issue is, putting forward pressure on the hitch puts forward pressure on the tongue jack and I'm afraid of breaking it.

Hmm, I just thought of something I'm going to try next time.

After I chock my TT wheels and before I put the tongue jack down, I'm going to pull forward a bit with the TV - to pull the ball forward in the hitch. Then I'll put the jack down, remove the bars and try and release the hitch.

This kind of makes sense since normally, I've stopped after pushing back into the site so the ball is pushing back into the latch. Pulling forward just the slightest amount after the TT is chocked should ease that pressure.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmhudg View Post
I wrestle with the same problem - mostly just on unhitching. It doesn't always work but I think I've found that it's best to put a little forward pressure on the ball (pull the truck forward the slightest amount) to relieve pressure on the latch to allow it to release.

The issue is, putting forward pressure on the hitch puts forward pressure on the tongue jack and I'm afraid of breaking it.

Hmm, I just thought of something I'm going to try next time.

After I chock my TT wheels and before I put the tongue jack down, I'm going to pull forward a bit with the TV - to pull the ball forward in the hitch. Then I'll put the jack down, remove the bars and try and release the hitch.

This kind of makes sense since normally, I've stopped after pushing back into the site so the ball is pushing back into the latch. Pulling forward just the slightest amount after the TT is chocked should ease that pressure.
Tried that with mine, but it seems to then bind it in the coupler. Seems I have to fine that center "happy spot" every time. Like previously posted don't remember having to ever do that with 3 previous bumper pulls.
2007 Dodge 2500 CDT QCSB/Blue Ox Sway Pro 1500lb WDH, Maxxis 8008 225 x 75 x15 LR E tires/J T Strongarms
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:06 AM   #10

When hooking up I always have to scootch forward just enough for the ball to make contact with the front of the coupler (makes a clunk noise) before we can close the coupler latch. It's just part of our hooking up routine. Once the coupler is lowered down onto the ball, and the tongue jack isn't supporting the TT anymore, I scootch to set it in place. Then the coupler latch can be closed.

When unhooking, we usually have pulled FORWARD as the last thing we did before unhooking (to roll up onto lynx blocks), which again sets the ball as far forward in the coupler as possible. This allows for easy work of the coupler lock mechanism.

If the ball isn't far forward in the coupler, it is impossible, or very very hard, to work the coupler latch.

2015 RAM 1500 5.7L V8
2015 Coachmen Freedom Express 292BHDS
Loraura is offline   Reply With Quote