Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2014, 10:32 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

My reese dual cam used to freak and pop something awful. It is completely normal even though it sounds horrible. If you stand around a campground, you will hear others doing the same. Your owners manual will tell you what can and can't be lubricated. You can lubricate the hitch ball with beating grease as stated before, this will decrease wear from friction on it. Reese also says you can lubricate the spring bars but you should not lubricate the friction sway control.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-12-08-22-30-42.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	217.2 KB
ID:	67352   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-12-08-22-30-47.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	204.9 KB
ID:	67353  
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 10:40 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
My reese dual cam used to freak and pop something awful. It is completely normal even though it sounds horrible. If you stand around a campground, you will hear others doing the same. Your owners manual will tell you what can and can't be lubricated. You can lubricate the hitch ball with beating grease as stated before, this will decrease wear from friction on it. Reese also says you can lubricate the spring bars but you should not lubricate the friction sway control.
Sorry but this is (NOT) a Pic. of a Reese Dual Cam! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 10:43 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Sorry but this is (NOT) a Pic. of a Reese Dual Cam! Youroo!!
I'm aware that the pics the OP has are a pro series. that manual (and pics above) are from a reese pro series round bar that I just downloaded from reese. I deliberately did not put pics of the dual cam up so as not to confuse the picture for the OP.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 08:48 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

According to Reese when using a dual cam setup, you can use a light coating of Vaseline (but not grease) applied to the cams where the spring bars ride.

I do that before leaving on the day's travels, and the Reese is nice a quiet for the 1st couple hundred of miles, but is usually making noise again by the time I hit the campground. Most other trailer owners don't even bother to turn their heads, as they know the sound.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:18 AM   #25

This statement is in the Fastway E2 manual: Do not lubricate the linear friction joint between the L-bracket and spring arm. This is the area that resists movement, and lubrication will reduce the amount of friction at this point.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 02:07 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
Techntrek, do you have an Equal-i-zer hitch? If so, you haven't read the manuals or the info on their website. I don't know where you're getting your info because it's not correct.

The manufacturer says you can use lube on the friction surfaces on the hitch head and on the L brackets. I checked with Steve Binks from Equal-i-zer and he confirmed that bearing grease is an acceptable lubricant. I bought the "Sway Bracket Jackets" for the L brackets to avoid the mess using lubricant, but I use bearing grease on the hitch head. I didn't notice any difference in the effectiveness of the anti-sway when using the lube. Just make sure everything is torqued to spec and you're fine.

Even with the lube, it still creaks and moans but just not as much as without it. The creaking and moaning means there is friction and the hitch is doing it's job.
Yes I have an E2 for one of my campers, made by the same company and identical in many ways.

Yes, the instructions state you can lube the L brackets on either model, or use the Teflon sleeves. I verified that on the Equalizer website before I made my reply.

If you install a sway bar you have a brake pad and metal bar. Applying grease would completely defeat the friction it is designed to apply - and the instructions say that.

If you instead go to great expense and effort to buy and adjust a WDH that incorporates sway control - one that applies friction (or friction and cams) to dampen sway - applying grease or nylon sleeves will reduce that friction. The very thing you want. That is what grease or nylon does.

Why do the instructions for WDHs say to use grease, when sway bars say not to? Sway bars don't make nearly the noise that WDHs do. The WDH manufacturers had to come up with a solution to the complaints and the only solution is to reduce the friction that is causing the extra noise. Grease those critical friction points and you will reduce the noise - and the anti-sway capability.
Honda EU3000is inverter-generator
techntrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 02:08 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Friction Sway Control and Lubrication always (Humorous Reading)! I hope they don't apply their Theories on Brakes!! Yes it is the EASY way for MFG. to (Sell/Tell) customers to reduce Friction /Noise by Lubing! Youroo!!
Exactly! I hadn't even seen your reply when I posted mine (above), but basically the same message.
Old 12-09-2014, 02:14 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGuy View Post
According to Reese when using a dual cam setup, you can use a light coating of Vaseline (but not grease) applied to the cams where the spring bars ride.

I do that before leaving on the day's travels, and the Reese is nice a quiet for the 1st couple hundred of miles, but is usually making noise again by the time I hit the campground. Most other trailer owners don't even bother to turn their heads, as they know the sound.
I also have the dual-cam and you are correct about the Vaseline, but the same thing applies. Granted, this system relies more on the cam leverage to actually stop sway (instead of reduce it), but the friction between the cams and the spring bars is still part of the equation.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:28 AM   #29
Canadian Member

Having an anti-sway mechanism is about risk management. There is no doubt that lubricating your anti-sway mechanism WILL reduce its effectiveness.

I think 3 points need to be made on the subject:

1. You would only consider doing it if you find the creaking, moaning and popping annoying or embarrassing.

2. You should only use a method and lubricant approved by the manufacturer and your hitch assembly should be maintained with proper torque to ensure you get the intended effectiveness of the mechanism without any lubricant.

3. After trying it, if you notice any significant difference in the effectiveness you need to decide if the reduction in moaning and groaning is worth the extra risk.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote