Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2015, 05:49 PM   #21

Still learning this site

I messed up with the scowel face. I also just answered one early email and all of a sudden saw later posts that will save my BACON. Tires are a concern as well as the correct hitch. I'll now go with 14000/1400 as we will have food in the front kitchen. BEER or course .

That didn't work so well did it! Anyway. Grab your hats! I emailed sales for Flagstaff and asked about the psi rating for the AL rims specifically to change tires. HE SAID 50 PSI. Beer cans hold that much pressure don't they?

I'm almost ready to replace fancy stuff with grey steel that will work and of course E range. Last trip with Open Range cost us over $700 for 16" E range Carlisles and China Bombs tread separated at about 9,500 miles and three years. Three tread failures so we changed worst one and limped from Stonewall (peach icecream and peaches) to Bastrop, Texas, to visit daughter and family in Austin. Don't ask why not stay in Austin.

You have been so helpful on this and have confirmed what I was thinking. It is hard as trailer is not here. I failed to get measurements when I was at dealer last.

Bigger is BETTER.
whatsupchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 10:24 PM   #22

You Can't Do That

STRAT56, E-Trailer said you can't do that even though you did. I believe you over them and will try to buy local through "my guy".

I added a signature to show what's coming and what I'm running. Bike rack is down the road as I'm planning that. For now, they can stay home as DW has back problems anyway. Since we are not getting carpet, they could ride upside down and hog tied in the trailer. DW says not on the HAB.

D B Travelers, my baby sister finally settled in Saginaw after being in your location for a time. Never get up that way as Austin is in the way.

Have you ever done 85 on the 130 Toll Road? I'll never tell here.

I feel much better about the information I've received just off this post. More is better and I overlooked why.

Big tongue jack, heavier hitch bars and E range tires a must soon as can this winter. We never have a winter way down here!

Almost South of the Border
Old 08-26-2015, 11:00 PM   #23

Hello Chuck! Retired from SWB/ATT huh? My father-in-law put in 38 years, retire in 1984 from SWB and from this earth in 2010. Great man. And yup, beautiful down town Watauga. If you laugh, then I know you have been here!
Saginaw is the neighbor town to the west of here. LOTS of trains through that town!
D_B Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 12:13 AM   #24

Hi I went to Discount tire and bought Carlisle load range E ST tires from them for $509 balanced and new heavy duty valve steams. The tt I just traded in with the Carlisle tires had around 10,000 miles on them with no problems. Carlisle is the only manufacture that has a speed rating of 87 miles per hour. The rest are 60 or 65 or no rating for speed. I had Carlisle load rage E on my last tt and was very happy with them. I did not and will not air the tires up to there full working pressure of 80 psi. I aired them up to 70 psi. The rims are rated for 65 psi from what I have read on past posts and when I was at Goshen rallies Lionhead tire rep confirmed 65 Psi rating. so that put the pressure within less than 10% over there rating. The old tt I ran at 65 psi but this was a lighter tt also. What ever you buy make sure you are buying a tire with the newest born on date.

Hope this helps Tim
TimVWulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 04:30 AM   #25

Speed rating of (87 MPH)! I wonder if this was a TEST? Youroo!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	021.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	269.4 KB
ID:	87048  
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 05:48 AM   #26
MCTroy

Glad to see your post. I just ordered 4 Carlisle tires for our TT. I went with D load as that is the best our rims will take and not enough $$ for new rims too right now. At 8500 lbs loaded we should be ok.
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 06:59 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsupchuck View Post
STRAT56, E-Trailer said you can't do that even though you did. I believe you over them and will try to buy local through "my guy".
Wow, I'm glad I didn't ask anyone if it would work and just did the measurements myself to find out. Otherwise I might not have tried it.

I did just order 1500# bars for mine, I checked with Blue Ox before I ordered the current bars, 1000#, and they said that was what I needed. I took it camping several times and even though it was level and set up right according to specs it just didn't feel right. I called Blue Ox yesterday and asked them again and this time they said I needed the 1500# bars, go figure, I should have went with my gut and ordered them from the start.
strat56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 07:11 AM   #28
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Just goes to show ya not even the manufacture rep can give ya an honest answer Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 04:01 PM   #29

Thumbs up Factory Reps for anything

Since Flagstaff rep. told me only 50 psi on the rims, I checked Discount Tire and they pulled a fancy AL rim off the rack and showed me to look for the weight rating listed in pounds on the back. Tires rated for that weight would give the psi the rims would take (allegedly).

I had a weekend of baby shower out of town in Motel 6 and we missed our own bed badly. This time we only saw semi. truck belts all over the road. I will be blessed with C range as was told no option / they are yours!!!

Discount Tire in Texas will have to order D range, but, E range is in stock almost everywhere. Bastrop store have 30 + at that store alone. I'm looking to get tires ASAP before first trip if/when trailer comes.

I assume 30WFKSS comes with ST 225/75 R 15?

Any other information on the rims from someone is appreciated.

Old 09-01-2015, 11:49 PM   #30

Hi Whatsupchuck I went to Discount tire and bought Carlisle load range E ST tires from them for $509 balanced and new heavy duty valve steams. The tt I just traded in with the Carlisle tires had around 10,000 miles on them with no problems. Carlisle is one of two manufacture that has a speed rating of N 87 miles per hour. The rest are 60 or 65 or no rating for speed. I did not and will not air the tires up to there full working pressure of 80 psi. I aired them up to 70 psi. The rims are rated for 65 psi from what I have read on past posts so that put the pressure within less than 10% over there rating. The old tt I ran at 65 psi but that was a lighter tt also. The E load range tires will not raze the weight limit of your axles or the units frame. The E load range tires will give your unit a much more stable ride and peace of mind. What ever you buy make sure you are buying a tire with the newest born on date.
New tires are on my 2015 30wikss v-lite.

PS sold C load range tires to a lawn service for $200.00

Hi there are reasons to not run your tire pressure at full working load pressure if you have a tire that is rated higher than the load it carries but still want the stability and safety of a higher load range.

1. At full rated tire inflation pressure the tire my not have full contact with the road due to vehicle not having enough wight to push the tire flat on the road surface. Learned this one the hard way when I wore out the center tread of the tire in 8000 mile on my dully tires. The tire will crown and the tire center will only have contact with the road.

2. You need to inflate the tire to meet or just exceed the load the tires are carrying and not have excessive side wall flex that will break down the cords or wires in the side walls and create excessive tire heating. The right pressure for the load will keep the tire in full contact with the road surface.

Hope this helps Tim
Old 09-02-2015, 12:06 AM   #31

Hi Whatsupchuck I did not catch the Flagstaff rep 50 psi post. That is true if you have load range C tires. I talked with tire and rim rep at the Goshen rally that supplied the rims are on my TT and he confirmed rims are rated at 65 Psi cold working pressure.

Hope this helps Tim
Old 09-02-2015, 03:05 PM   #32

Rims are the worry

I agree with the E range over D. The rims still worry me as it gets HOT down here and I know of a person who bought tires with this thought, but, used the sidewall PSI and blew a tire off the rim causing him to hit the ditch out somewhere north of Big Bend in west Texas. It was a hardwall jack up camper and was not to heavy so little damage.

Steel wheels would be my choice over cast AL if I have to go that route and really cover the whole enchilada so to speak. I'm thinking still.

I see a hole that looks like the axles could be spread a bit. That would allow LT tires to replace ST. The N rating is a real plus as 65MPH in Texas requires you to drive with the rear view as well as looking forward. If you can't run at least 70, you are a road block.

Old 09-02-2015, 03:30 PM   #33

Tires! We all worry about them, and I am no exception. I changed out the OEM Load C on the Rockwood for a Goodyear Marathon Load D set before leaving on a long trip this spring. Felt better about the 8500# trailer on them but also purchased a TST 507 tire pressure monitor system. Others are available, but I liked the reviews on this one. What a relief to KNOW what the pressures AND temperatures are minute to minute. I will never be without a TPMS again for a TT or any RV; what a sense of security! If you have a tire lose pressure or overheat there is a very loud warning that goes off so you have time to stop before any real damage occurs.
Old 09-04-2015, 06:49 PM   #34
Perma-Newb

I have the set up in my signature with the Equilizer 4 point, 1000/10,000. Thousands of miles with out any issues at all. The front kitchen model V-Lite has a bit more tough weight so I would go with the 1200LB set up.

2014 V-Lite 30WIKSS, Diamond Package W/All the goodies

https://www.forestriverforums.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic50858_1.gif
EarlyRetirement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 11:24 AM   #35

30WFKSS or 3008 here at home

Picked up new trailer Wed. and during walkthrough, almost missed hitch set up. They did get Blue Ox I ordered, but, they used 1000 bars. Their setup actually raised my front end even after I suggested more bar tension after the installer left.

Ride home went by Flying J for lunch and scales where I confirmed hitch setup was wrong but at least got ball park weights. TW seems to be at least 1000 (must remove approx. 240 pounds of water from fresh tank I did not know was there). That exceeds the bars right there, so, collecting information to take back to dealer from y'all and my scales receipt. 1500 spring bars will be coming one way or the other.

The tail did wag the dog in traffic due to the above. Absolutely love the lack of pop and crack being GONE! I could feel set up was bad before the scales and my TV weight on the front was actually 60 pounds lighter than empty as my tape measure told me it would be. I'm just the buyer, I don't know what I'm talking about / right?

All will be well when new bars installed and proper weights applied.

Thanks to all for information and assistance. OH! Came with D range L speed rate china bombs which will go soon as I get bills paid from trip to welcome new grandbaby into Texas. Old trailer kept us dry in College Station, Texas for almost three weeks and Timber Ridge RV in Bryan.

Once again, THANKS to all and FILM at 11.

Old 10-30-2015, 01:35 PM   #36

Wrong hitch from Fun Town Cleburne

Whatsupchuck I had exactly the same issue with my WJ3001w. The Fun Town dealer put on a Trekker 1000# hitch and it was too light. I had weighed the TV the day before we picked up the WJ and then stopped and weighed everything again on the way home with it. At that time, I was concerned we might be close to GVW, but we were fine so I didn't check hitch weight. As this was our first TT purchase I ass/u/me-d that the dealer was giving me the correct hitch. I adjusted and worked with it trying to get the nose of the TV down, until I finally realized that it might not be rated high enough. Sure enough, when I pulled out my first day's weights we found we were 75# over the 1000# rated hitch when we bought it. To make a VERY long story short I purchased an Equalizer 1400# hitch from a local dealer and left on a 5600 mile trip. Everything was great and the TV handled better. I think the Trekker actually controlled sway better than the Equalizer, but that will start a WDH war in the forum; still just my experience. After about 15 emails to every person in a management position at Fun Town I did return the hitch to them and after over 30 days received a refund check for $750. Fun Town sales department = excellent, caring, good prices, not high pressure. Fun Town Service department = very poor customer relations, no sense of urgency, no follow up, etc. Only Curtis (Asst. Mgr.) cares and gets things done; he is the only one I will deal with now.