Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2019, 02:44 PM   #21

broken strut

I have a Hensley, I can only guess that the jack foot hit the spring bar and consequently bound up the Hensley from properly pivoting. The result was a broken in two strut bar on the trailer. Not only do I make sure the trailer jack is fully retracted, but I also remove the removable foot plate! I know it struck the foot plate because of the extreme distortion of the foot (bent)! Lucky it didn't ruin the jack!
rdolan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 06:22 PM   #22
Sham183

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdolan5 View Post
I have a Hensley, I can only guess that the jack foot hit the spring bar and consequently bound up the Hensley from properly pivoting. The result was a broken in two strut bar on the trailer. Not only do I make sure the trailer jack is fully retracted, but I also remove the removable foot plate! I know it struck the foot plate because of the extreme distortion of the foot (bent)! Lucky it didn't ruin the jack!

This is actually more common than you think. It happens to both propride and Hensley. I read on a post with propride where someone did this and quite a few people responded that they did it as well. Maybe not to the extent as you [emoji12] but none the less they did it. Now it’s remove plate and make sure the jack is up all the way. When I get mine finally I will make sure of this as well.
mopwr4me2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 12:50 AM   #23

Thanks for the re-assurance, I just wanted some before I spent the big bucks, I'm going to order either a Propride or Hensley later this week, it seems like Hensley has the better warranty, or at least the 60 day return policy, although from my gut feelings is that I'll be keeping this new hitch for a long time !
2020 Wolfpack 25PACK12
2018 Harley Road Glide Special
jdbunch1630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 01:04 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbunch1630 View Post
Thanks for the re-assurance, I just wanted some before I spent the big bucks, I'm going to order either a Propride or Hensley later this week, it seems like Hensley has the better warranty, or at least the 60 day return policy, although from my gut feelings is that I'll be keeping this new hitch for a long time !

Jdbunch, before you order a Hensley or pro pride be sure to call them and double check their tongue weight capacities. I’m pretty sure they’re 1400lbs (going off memory) but your toy hauler sounds pretty big and probably has some major tongue weight.
deepseadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 03:17 AM   #25

Specs show it at 1100, but when I weighted it, it was more like 1250 without the motorcycle in the back and 1125 with the bike. 90% of the time I'll have at least 1 bike in the rear, so I should be plenty good with the 1400, I'm currently using the 4pt Equalizer 1400 at this time.
2020 Wolfpack 25PACK12
2018 Harley Road Glide Special
jdbunch1630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 06:42 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbunch1630 View Post
Can you explain how the warranty is better? The 3P has a no questions asked life time warranty. I've seen it in action on Facebook groups I'm in. 3P also has a same return policy, although I bet no one has used it because once you get it, it just works. Through my research, there seems to be a lot more issues and warranty claims with the arrow. Many of the common issues the 3P corrected in it's design. There are tons of these hitches over at the Airstream forums (since everyone over there is rich and has $100k travel trailers!) And if you search you will find many topics on broken items on the arrow but almost none on the 3P. Not to mention all the paint flaking off and rusty after year 1. That was a good resource for me to help make my decision since so many members have these types of hitches there vs this forum. This forum if you have a hitch you are part of a group that over pays for things and doesn't know how to load your trailer or drive.

I think you need to look hard at the difference and improvements between them. The 3P has several improvements that I obviously felt were the deciding factor that made it the better choice.
Obviously I'm bias towards the 3P but that's only because I put in the research when I was deciding and I'm sharing what I found to be facts.
Lzerarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 07:20 AM   #27

My personal opinion is it would depend on how much I'm towing and how much trouble I'm having towing. A little rocking when truck passes...no prob. Little push from some wind...no prob. Weekend warrior or 10,000 miles a season...is a factor. I look at it as buying a brand new truck cause I don't like way the a/c cools on the one I have. Only my opinion and those cost a lot of money.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 07:43 AM   #28

I have had great customer service from PP, I have not has a hitch failure since I purchased it except for the bearings in the hitch head needing to be replaced due to water intrusion.

There are many threads about the hitch installation, after some practice you will be able to take the beast off and on in no time. You will be removing it occasionally to paint and repack the bearings. The thing is heavy, it takes two of us to move it around. I have had it on 3 trailers so far so I don't associate it with the camper, it is towing equipment.

I have to pull my car hauler for 700 miles next month without the PP, I will have to readjust my driving style with it in tow, the PP allows for a sudden movement, the car hauler on a ball hitch with WD, not so much.
2018 25 2019 25
2020 24 2021 28 2022 302023 30
Coolharts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 12:05 AM   #29

One other benefit of the PP is the adjustable hitch bar. When you get a new TV or move the hitch to a new trailer, it is likely that you will need to adjust the drop to keep the trailer level. On PP, you change the bar. On the Hensley, you may be buying a new one.

That and I just don't like having orange in the mix of colors.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 01:02 AM   #30

WDH - Hensley, Propride - are they so much better ??

The Hensley probably gets more warranty claims because there are tons more of them out there. I personally think both have great warranties though. The adjustability of the PP is nice but if you need a different height, Hensley swaps you the stinger for free for life. I think both systems are great but if I had to buy one again I’d probably get the PP. At the end of the day they both perform exactly the same but the PP is a little simpler to install I think. All the people talking about the updated fixes and improvements are regurgitating what the owner of PP claims. The reason I bought the Hensley was because my new Hensley arrow cub was $1600 for the screw jack model and I didn’t want to a $1000 plus for a full size model that I didn’t need. Again if I was going to go full size arrow or PP, I would do PP next time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4028.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	356.1 KB
ID:	214744
Old 09-16-2019, 07:26 PM   #31

Hensley hitch

I am not sure what they cost. I had a visitor coming to my property and their Hensley hitch broke completely off leaving the trailer in the road and on the ground. The welds were so poorly penetrated and one was missing completely. Just something to think about. I would have all the welds tested and inspected by a firm that specializes in that business before I connected it up for a nice outing.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 07:33 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircommuter View Post
I am not sure what they cost. I had a visitor coming to my property and their Hensley hitch broke completely off leaving the trailer in the road and on the ground. The welds were so poorly penetrated and one was missing completely. Just something to think about. I would have all the welds tested and inspected by a firm that specializes in that business before I connected it up for a nice outing.

Hey aircommuter, do you have any pictures or proof of the weld issues? I’ve saw your last posts on the weld issues a while back but don’t remember seeing any pics or evidence. My dad and both had our stingers checked and were told they were welded perfectly. I just want to be sure you being honest and don’t work for a Hensley competitor.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:51 PM   #33

Hensley hitch

I don’t work for anybody! Check the registry and you will see my home retirement shop where I repaired the hitch so they keep going on their way.
I don’t have their direct email as they came to my place through boondockers Welcome website. They took the pictures and I was in a hurry to get it welded up because the trailer was blocking access on the road and I had a logging crew working here.
I have asked for the pictures but never got a reply. I am only on this forum to help others as I have been in the automotive and truck repair business for 52 years.
If they or you do not want the advice then just ignore it and go on your way.
I do not know if you can read the feedbacks unless you are a member of boondockers welcome, if you can or if they allow a trial you can look me up as the screen name is the same, or look for hosts by Yosemite and mine will show up, then you can read what the owner said. That will give you the proof since I haven’t been able to get the pictures.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 07:51 PM   #34
Sham183

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepseadan View Post
Hey aircommuter, do you have any pictures or proof of the weld issues? I’ve saw your last posts on the weld issues a while back but don’t remember seeing any pics or evidence. My dad and both had our stingers checked and were told they were welded perfectly. I just want to be sure you being honest and don’t work for a Hensley competitor.

Not sure about this exact issue here but you can look at other forums and even google it. Some date back to 2010 for cracked welds on the stinger I do believe. This is also not the first post I have seen about this issue. I do believe there might even be a thread on it. It’s not that they are bad hitches by any means but it’s something you should look at and see if there are issues.
mopwr4me2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 08:00 PM   #35

Blue OX Swaypro

I have been using a blue ox sway pro for almost ten years. I've traveled from Western NY to Chattanooga. Through tunnels and mountain passes, step hills and passed by many tractor trailers that were going over 75. All kids of weather. Never had a problem. I had a 40' travel trailer. I just down sized to a smaller TT and kept the Blue Ox system. The dealer never installed one, so I asked them to watch the video and install per directions provided from Blue Ox. They could not believe how level both vehicles where. Plus I have a 2500 Ram with sway control and that helps also. Sway pro is made in America.
Chief55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 09:28 PM   #36

They say you can pull a heavy trailer with your car, and by damn they are using a Hensley! All this talk on the forums about TV and TT weight, just get a 92 Caprice or Intrepid and your all set to pull 7K

https://youtu.be/0FsRXjI8W6o
WolfPup2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 10:11 PM   #37
larryandamy

Is Hensley/ProRide worth it?

I can only speak for the Hensley. I had a 27" Stealth Toy Hauler and I hated towing it. I did everything every forum recommended (WDH, Anti sway, heavier springs, air bags...) Some help, but still unacceptable to me. So I bit the bullet and bought the Hensley Arrow hitch. Their unconditional 100% refund within 60 days of my install date helped me decide. I installed it in 4 hours and except for acceleration and deceleration, I kept forgetting I was even towing a trailer. YES, YES, YES... It is definitely worth it. It doesn't reduce sway... It eliminates it completely. I can take any rig without a Hensley type hitch and flip it with just 3 very poorly timed 1/4 turns of the steering wheel. With the Hensley, it is impossible for me to do the same. On and off soft shoulders... not a problem.... Instant trailer tracking. High winds and big trucks are no longer even a concern.
Now I am going to get a lot of responses saying I am wrong and the Hensley is a waste of money. But none of them ever drove a rig without and with the Hensley hitch. I had a neighbor who said this and he drove my rig before and after the Hensley install and was immediately converted.
I am a retiredengineer and I appreciate the revolutionary dual pivot design of the Hensley. No single pivot hitch can ever even come close to a dual pivot hitch. If you understand force dynamics and harmonics you would understand this immediately.
Some insurance companies even offer discounts if you have the Hensley. Over 80% of ALL trailer accidents are flipping due to sway. The Hensley eliminates all of those.
No, I do not nor ever have worked for Hensley. I just like to be safe with ZERO white knuckle driving out there...
larryandamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 10:44 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryandamy View Post
I can only speak for the Hensley. I had a 27" Stealth Toy Hauler and I hated towing it. I did everything every forum recommended (WDH, Anti sway, heavier springs, air bags...) Some help, but still unacceptable to me. So I bit the bullet and bought the Hensley Arrow hitch. Their unconditional 100% refund within 60 days of my install date helped me decide. I installed it in 4 hours and except for acceleration and deceleration, I kept forgetting I was even towing a trailer. YES, YES, YES... It is definitely worth it. It doesn't reduce sway... It eliminates it completely. I can take any rig without a Hensley type hitch and flip it with just 3 very poorly timed 1/4 turns of the steering wheel. With the Hensley, it is impossible for me to do the same. On and off soft shoulders... not a problem.... Instant trailer tracking. High winds and big trucks are no longer even a concern.
Now I am going to get a lot of responses saying I am wrong and the Hensley is a waste of money. But none of them ever drove a rig without and with the Hensley hitch. I had a neighbor who said this and he drove my rig before and after the Hensley install and was immediately converted.
I am a retiredengineer and I appreciate the revolutionary dual pivot design of the Hensley. No single pivot hitch can ever even come close to a dual pivot hitch. If you understand force dynamics and harmonics you would understand this immediately.
Some insurance companies even offer discounts if you have the Hensley. Over 80% of ALL trailer accidents are flipping due to sway. The Hensley eliminates all of those.
No, I do not nor ever have worked for Hensley. I just like to be safe with ZERO white knuckle driving out there...

I agree that the Hensley looks like a good hitch and could save you in certain situations. If towing trailers was so dangerous there would be more accidents and everyone would need this hitch. Of all the TT I’ve seen on the road , I’ve never seen one of these hensleys ... maybe once. I don’t tow all the time either so if your out on the road a ton, this hitch may be for you, or if you don’t care spending $1600. Plenty of TT without these hitched and other hitches and they do fine. 1st it takes a good driver with knowledge of how to tow and control the TV
WolfPup2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 11:05 PM   #39
larryandamy

Is Hensley/ProRide worth it?

Wolfpup... I know you are saying this based on your experience and with good intentions. Which I can say with confidence, that your experience does not include towing a trailer without and with the Hensley. I know this, because if you had, you would 100% agree with me... No doubt whatsoever.
Some people have high tolerance for white knuckle driving. I do not. I hate the fact that 5 seconds of inattentive or bad driving can flip a rig.
There were 50,000 towing accidents last year. This includes all issues including hitch detach and blown tires. But over 8,000 were rollovers caused by sway. I consider this a lot. And if was was a billionaire. I would buy everyone towing a larger trailer a Hensley. I know I am not going to convince you or most others who manage with sway through good driving skills. I wish I could show the dynamic force 3D modeling that shows what dual pivot does. But here is an example. Take a 3 foot stick and swish it back and forth and watch how the stick end sways so much from side to side. That is the single pivot hitch. Now put a swivel about 6 inches down the stick and do the same. ZERO SWAY... Pure physics...
larryandamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 11:40 PM   #40

Can't put a price tag on safety and peace of mind!

I pulled my 28 ft Cougar with a Reese Straight Line with no major issues. Traded the Cougar for a 33 ft Wildcat Maxx and the story was totally different! Every outing was a white knuckle adventure at best and a total nightmare at worst. After one to many worst's, I invested in a ProPride and have eliminated all issues! For me/us it has been a very good investment!

My TV is a Ram 1500 which is boarder line for the trailer, but with the ProPride I tow with confidence!
cjmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hensley, propride