Old 09-08-2019, 07:11 AM   #1

WDH - Hensley, Propride - are they so much better ??

Ok, here is the question, I have a 37 toy hauler, I currently have a 4 pt equalizer 1400lb WD hitch setup and it works pretty good, yes I have some pull when being passed by a semi, but that's to be expected, at least I think so. I have towed campers and trailer for years, in fact for about 5 years I worked part time for a RV dealer in NC and made countless trips to Jayco and KZ to pickup new units. To anyone that has made the investment and bought a Hensley or Propride WDH, are they so much better that they are worth the 3000. I'm not unhappy with my current setup, but would defiantly be willing to spend the investment if they are worth it. I would like for my wife to help drive on the interstate to give me a break sometimes, but she has almost no towing experience and would like it to be as safe and sway free as possible.

So if you have made the change or know someone that has, give me your input

Thanks

2020 Wolfpack 25PACK12
2018 Harley Road Glide Special
jdbunch1630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 07:43 AM   #2

I had a sway problem with my Toyota Sequoia. I bought a Hensley. All sway eliminated.

Over time I sold the TT and then thinking I would not have another TT, I sold the Hensley.

Now I have another TT with a Equal-i-zet E4. There is NO comparison. The E4 reduces sway, but, as you noticed, not completely. Also, there is the E4 ďsongĒ.

The downside to the Hensley is the price and the learning curve for hooking up. Once mastered, much easier. Price is forgotten after the second tow.

Wife may get angry after multiple questions of ďDid you notice how well the trailer is towing?Ē

Old 09-08-2019, 09:15 PM   #3

I have a Toyota FJ Cruiser and tow a wolf pup 17rp small toy hauler. When I first got it sway was a disaster. It got so much worse when loaded, even the Equalizer 4pt couldnít do a thing to help. I didnít have the money to get a new tow vehicle so I decided sell the brand new toy hauler. But just by chance I came across the Hensley website and after talking to Terry he convinced me to give it a try. Best decision I ever made. Now I can easily tow at 75mph on Arizona freeways, the same speed as trucks and nothing affects me, and I mean nothing. Emergency braking, desert wind storms, semiís itís amazing. My fj crusier can easily pull it, and Iím not over the legal limits, it was just the short wheelbase combined with 1000 lbs loaded behind the axle in the hauler. I still plan on getting a bigger truck, ram 2500 or titan xd but thatíll be next year. The Hensley makes towing a pleasure. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0278.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	405.8 KB
ID:	214483
deepseadan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 09:23 PM   #4

For a tow vehicle and trailer that are well matched, I think the answer is "no," the difference in price of a Hensley hitch is not worth it, compared to a current-generation four-point hitch such as Equalizer, Husky Centerline TS, or Reese Steadi-Flex.

I towed a 6,000 lb Outback trailer with a Chevy Avalanche equipped with a 6.0L Vortec and Hensley Arrow for six years. The hitch worked as advertised; I never experienced trailer sway. The Hensley was about $3,000.

I now tow a 5,300 lb Grey Wolf trailer with a Nissan Titan and a Husky Centerline TS hitch. I have never experienced trailer sway with this set-up either. The Husky Centerline provides a safe, relaxed towing experience. Cost is about $350.

Bottom line: If your trailer is well within the capacity of your tow vehicle, I do not consider the very high cost of a Hensley Arrow to be necessary. I can't speak concerning the Pro-Pride because I've never owned one or priced one.
Husky Centerline TS
Go West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 10:01 PM   #5

Had a Hensley when I owned a bumper pull trailer. If I ever go back to a bumper pull, it will have a Hensley or ProPride. Yes, a properly set up weight distribution hitch will suffice, but one emergency lane change and you,ll wish you had the Hensley or Propride. Been there, done that. Glade I had the Hensley, trailer stayed behind the truck all the way through the maneuver. If I had Reese Dual Cam that I had before the Hensley, I probably would not be writing this post. Either one is well worth the money.
BessieHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 01:29 PM   #6

With a proper TV and Equalizer 4 point I never saw anyone with a need for more. An SUV or truck named TOY.... or the like then yes.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 02:17 PM   #7
Broken Toe

Had a Reese Straight-line hitch setup. Worked acceptably good 95% of the time. The 5% that it didn't work well (windy days or trucks passing), it was living hell.

Last trip with I had a sway incident where I was sure we were gonna wreck. I had my heart in my throat as I used up BOTH lanes on the interstate to get everything whoa-ed up and back under control. It was at that moment I vowed "never again". Had I wrecked it then (and it was THISCLOSE) $3000 would have looked like chicken-feed.

Bought a ProPride, and first trip out with it was the very first trip EVER pulling my camper where I was totally relaxed. Not "most-of-the-time relaxed". But totally, 100% relaxed in the confidence that this thing simply will not (read: can not) sway. That was worth the purchase price right there.

People will tell you that you don't need it. They will tout Brand X or Brand Y hitches as all you really need, and they might be right. At least 95% of the time.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Snowball" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 02:40 PM   #8

^ X2.

Though I admit to not being relaxed ALL the time. Narrow lanes in construction zones still raise my stress level...

I have a Propride and really like the WD jack setup. You can really dial the WD in to exactly what you need. And no worries about the WD bars snapping free and causing an injury.
Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2019 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 03:17 PM   #9

I have been using a Pro-Pride for 9 years, I won't tow the camper without it. I can drive one handed and sometimes forget the trailer is back there. There are a few times when a heavy gust of wind will push the rig but it pushes the whole rig, not just the camper. Owning a Pro-Pride is an investment.
2018 25 2019 21
Coolharts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 03:26 PM   #10

Have my ProPride for 8 years now and from my perspective, best WDH made. Would not tow my 33 feet travel trailer( 8500 lbs ) without it. But it is a personal choice...

Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped:2012(36) 2013 (17) 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hensley, propride