Old 02-24-2015, 05:11 PM   #11

It's best if you know how to do it yourself anyway. Order your own and show up with it. All you have to do is get it fairly close. You can fine tune it when you get it home. Honestly...all they're going to do is get it somewhat close anyway. As long as it looks mostly level and doesn't look like the nose of the truck is pointed up, just take it easy getting home and get a feel for how it's pulling (if it feels strange or sways, turn around and have them mess with it...better safe than sorry ) then pull out the instructions and start measuring. Expect to hitch / unhitch 2 - 4 times to get it the way you want but, after that, you rarely have to adjust anything.

Old 02-24-2015, 08:27 PM   #12

The 1000 will move plenty of the tongue weight to the front axles. There is a formula if you want to play with the numbers. You will need to know the length of the bars, they are most likely 30", and a few other measurments.
By the way, the "1000" has nothing to do with it's weight capabilities per say. It has to do with the amount of force/torque the bars can leverage.
Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Towing: Weight Distribution (WD) Hitch --- How it Works

Old 02-24-2015, 09:04 PM   #13

I borrowed a friends wdh when I picked up my first htt in 2009. It was 22ft and the dealer (RVDirect at Albany RV) made all the adjustments to level it. The tv was my old truck I just sold to my brother-in-law. My new to me truck was waiting to get scheduled in at a shop that specializes in hitches and plows. Once that was completed I did all the configuration work on the new truck for the wdh. Towed it for 5 years and no sway or scary moment. New trailer 2ft longer same setup adjusted by the dealer. Nearly wiped out on the 20 mile trip home. Never ever saw the sway light kick on on my truck (did then). Swayed so bad the engine shut down throttle. Don't know what's so different, 2ft longer? 100lbs heavier? Probably will invest in the Blue Ox. I like being able to back the trailer up without having to remove the wd bars.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:10 PM   #14
Rivnut

torque stripe the nut on the ball hitch with fingernail polish, family member gave me a WDH and 1000 miles later I hear a clunk and found the ball about to leave the hitch.
Enjoy the TT.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:42 PM   #15
fx2

Quote:
Originally Posted by deartruc View Post
I borrowed a friends wdh when I picked up my first htt in 2009. It was 22ft and the dealer (RVDirect at Albany RV) made all the adjustments to level it. The tv was my old truck I just sold to my brother-in-law. My new to me truck was waiting to get scheduled in at a shop that specializes in hitches and plows. Once that was completed I did all the configuration work on the new truck for the wdh. Towed it for 5 years and no sway or scary moment. New trailer 2ft longer same setup adjusted by the dealer. Nearly wiped out on the 20 mile trip home. Never ever saw the sway light kick on on my truck (did then). Swayed so bad the engine shut down throttle. Don't know what's so different, 2ft longer? 100lbs heavier? Probably will invest in the Blue Ox. I like being able to back the trailer up without having to remove the wd bars.

You don't have to remove the equal-i-zer brand bars when backing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 03-01-2015, 09:16 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by deartruc View Post
Obviously was not set up correctly. The only practical reason for bad sway would to a lack of appropriate/adequate tongue weight.
There are many hitches that do not require removal to back up
Old 03-01-2015, 10:09 PM   #17
Site Team

Torque Wrench Extension

2017-67 / 16-92 / 15-73 / 14-60 / 13-33
Seasonal
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch