Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2015, 12:03 PM   #1

WDH Hitch sizing and other questions.

Hi All,

I'm new to towing large trailers and I've tried to read up as much as I can but still have some questions.

I'm going to take delivery of a Vibe Extreme Lite 268RKS in April. I will be towing with an F-150 SCREW with Max Tow. I'm pretty sure I'm good with all my weights for the truck. I'm looking at WDH's and, while I like the Andersen for its light weight and simple operations, I think I'm going to go with the Equilizer. While the Andersen *could* work, I'm sure the EQ *will* work.

My dealer quoted me on the 10,000/1,000 model. The specs of the trailer are: Dry Wt. 6398, Cargo Cap. 1867, Hitch Wt. 742. Obviously these are spec. weights and not measured weights of my particular trailer.

If I calculate a GVW of 8265 (Dry + Cargo), 13% of that would give me a hitch weight of 1074. Do I need to go to the next size hitch?

The quote the dealer gave me is probably $300 more than what it looks like I could get the hitch for online. He then adds $125 for installation and another $25 for the ball, and $22 for "supplies".

So, the question is, can I do the installation myself? I don't have a torque wrench capable of 350 pounds as required in the installation doc. Obviously I can get one for less than $125. I like the idea of doing it myself vs. letting some idiot at the dealer, who doesn't really care about my safety, do it while I sign papers. But, I don't know how I can pull this off. Could I expect to be able to tow this thing home (50 miles) using just the ball or should I do it myself in their parking lot, or should I just pay them to do it an demand to be part of the process?

Thanks for helping with my questions.
tmhudg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 12:24 PM   #2

thumdg,
Unless you have worked on big trucks, you probably will not have a big enough torque wrench. I installed mine from the internet instructions. This can be tricky if are new to doing these things. I do not know where you are located, if you PM me, I have an equalizer hitch set-up the same as you are looking at and no longer needed use because I went to a fifth wheel. I'm in Texas.
Jester.

2012 Super Crew 4WD 6.7 PSD
2015 Cardinal 3800 FL
2007 Road King Black Cherry-Hers
2007 Road King Blue-Mine
1979 FXS Hot Rod Shovelhead
Jestercyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 12:40 PM   #3

Welcome to RVing.
For your first large trailer I would suggest letting them do it. If they are not concerned with your safety they are concerned with a law suit if they do it wrong.
You can find instructions online to do it, but it does take some time to do it right. Also don't forget about sway control, the friction style works okay but I would suggest a 4 point hitch(dual cam) to prevent sway not just stop it.
Good luck and enjoy your camper.

(2013 Ford F150 Crewcab Ecoboost traded)
Mowgli64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 01:01 PM   #4

Congratz on your new purchase. I showed up to pick up my trailer with my WDH set up for a different trailer and fully intended to set it up in their parking lot. The dealer should be alright with that. However, the dealer set it up for me at no charge.
bakwoodj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 01:12 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies so far. Jester, I'm in Mass so you are a little far :-)

I'll ask if they will let me bring my own and see what they say.

What about the question on getting the right size. Should I go bigger for some extra margin or am I close enough?

Thanks
Old 02-23-2015, 01:15 PM   #6

With the weight of your trailer, I think your all right. My TH was heavier than that and pulled great for the 12K miles that I pulled.
The hitch is heavy to put on the truck and take it off.
Jester

2012 Super Crew 4WD 6.7 PSD
2015 Cardinal 3800 FL
2007 Road King Black Cherry-Hers
2007 Road King Blue-Mine
1979 FXS Hot Rod Shovelhead
Jestercyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 01:20 PM   #7

You can go to the Equilizer web site and put your numbers in and it will tell you what they recommend. If it was me I would go up one size. It is better to have a setup that is over-sized then undersized and it looks like you would be very close to max or a little over.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 03:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Vibe View Post
You can go to the Equilizer web site and put your numbers in and it will tell you what they recommend. If it was me I would go up one size. It is better to have a setup that is over-sized then undersized and it looks like you would be very close to max or a little over.
X2, one size up would be the way to go. I would let the dealer set it up and let them take the all associated risk as mentioned by Mowgli64

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 04:10 PM   #9

Thanks all. I agree that stepping up to the next size is the right thing to do. I also agree that *as a dealership* they want to avoid lawsuits and would do the right thing. I'm just not convinced Service Tech Johnny doing the actual work gives a cr@p about the dealership's legal problems. Yeah, he gets fired for screwing it up but that doesn't help *me* on the side of the road - or worse.

The Service Manager sounds like he's not real thrilled with the idea of me bringing in my own WDH vs. buying from them at a steep markup. The funny thing is though, in his email reply to me, he (accidentally?) copied a note he sent to his finance(?) person, asking if he could give me a deal - and revealing their cost for the hitch. Whoops!
Old 02-24-2015, 04:21 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

You don't need a 350 lb/ft torque wrench to do the job. The job can be done with the proper sized socket, breaker bar, long pipe, and a ruler.

Check out post #2 here: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post214025

Ignore that I used ft/lbs instead of lb/ft......someone straightened me out on that on another thread.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 05:11 PM   #11

It's best if you know how to do it yourself anyway. Order your own and show up with it. All you have to do is get it fairly close. You can fine tune it when you get it home. Honestly...all they're going to do is get it somewhat close anyway. As long as it looks mostly level and doesn't look like the nose of the truck is pointed up, just take it easy getting home and get a feel for how it's pulling (if it feels strange or sways, turn around and have them mess with it...better safe than sorry ) then pull out the instructions and start measuring. Expect to hitch / unhitch 2 - 4 times to get it the way you want but, after that, you rarely have to adjust anything.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:27 PM   #12

The 1000 will move plenty of the tongue weight to the front axles. There is a formula if you want to play with the numbers. You will need to know the length of the bars, they are most likely 30", and a few other measurments.
By the way, the "1000" has nothing to do with it's weight capabilities per say. It has to do with the amount of force/torque the bars can leverage.
Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Towing: Weight Distribution (WD) Hitch --- How it Works
GDavidHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 09:04 PM   #13

I borrowed a friends wdh when I picked up my first htt in 2009. It was 22ft and the dealer (RVDirect at Albany RV) made all the adjustments to level it. The tv was my old truck I just sold to my brother-in-law. My new to me truck was waiting to get scheduled in at a shop that specializes in hitches and plows. Once that was completed I did all the configuration work on the new truck for the wdh. Towed it for 5 years and no sway or scary moment. New trailer 2ft longer same setup adjusted by the dealer. Nearly wiped out on the 20 mile trip home. Never ever saw the sway light kick on on my truck (did then). Swayed so bad the engine shut down throttle. Don't know what's so different, 2ft longer? 100lbs heavier? Probably will invest in the Blue Ox. I like being able to back the trailer up without having to remove the wd bars.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:10 PM   #14
Rivnut

torque stripe the nut on the ball hitch with fingernail polish, family member gave me a WDH and 1000 miles later I hear a clunk and found the ball about to leave the hitch.
Enjoy the TT.
Rivnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 08:42 PM   #15
fx2

Quote:
Originally Posted by deartruc View Post
I borrowed a friends wdh when I picked up my first htt in 2009. It was 22ft and the dealer (RVDirect at Albany RV) made all the adjustments to level it. The tv was my old truck I just sold to my brother-in-law. My new to me truck was waiting to get scheduled in at a shop that specializes in hitches and plows. Once that was completed I did all the configuration work on the new truck for the wdh. Towed it for 5 years and no sway or scary moment. New trailer 2ft longer same setup adjusted by the dealer. Nearly wiped out on the 20 mile trip home. Never ever saw the sway light kick on on my truck (did then). Swayed so bad the engine shut down throttle. Don't know what's so different, 2ft longer? 100lbs heavier? Probably will invest in the Blue Ox. I like being able to back the trailer up without having to remove the wd bars.

You don't have to remove the equal-i-zer brand bars when backing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2002 Ford F250 7.3l 4x4
fx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 09:16 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by deartruc View Post
Obviously was not set up correctly. The only practical reason for bad sway would to a lack of appropriate/adequate tongue weight.
There are many hitches that do not require removal to back up
GDavidHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 10:09 PM   #17
Site Team

Torque Wrench Extension

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch