Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2018, 04:08 AM   #61

The standard is used to set TWR for weight carrying and WD for passenger cars and trucks up to 14000 lbs GVWR 3/4 tons will have a RAWR over 6,000 lbs so they have no problem handling 1500 lbs of TW without a WDH. For 1/2 ton class 2a trucks the need to scale is valid since they will hit RAWR quickly.
Dustyhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 04:50 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker View Post
You are exactly right, Big H.. I respectfully defer to your learned experiences and I am suitably humbled and appreciate your corrections to my illogically acquired knowledge. Thank you very much.

Tow vehicle rear axle weight overloading should not be of any concern to anyone towing a large hitched trailer. Right? Got it..No need to spend the bucks at a CAT scale. Silly me!

Thank you..
Enjoy your trips.
At no time did I suggest towing, loading, axle weights, CAT scale trips or anything else of importance was trifle.
Old 09-27-2018, 05:45 AM   #63

I have never seen a professional RV transporter use a WDH.

Bruce
Old 09-27-2018, 07:35 AM   #64
Insert witty title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post

Bruce

1. Those trailers are at dry weight.

2. They would have to adjust their WDH each time to match whichever trailer they are delivering at the time.

They probably should use a WDH but I imagine the aggravation of having to readjust their hitches for each delivery is too much of a PITA.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 07:38 AM   #65

Quote:

Bruce
Umm, most of them are probably not bringing along their family and personal items either.
emoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 07:39 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post

2. They would have to adjust their WDH each time to match whichever trailer they are delivering at the time.

They probably should use a WDH but I imagine the aggravation of having to readjust their hitches for each delivery is too much of a PITA.
Dry weight, or not, they are still heavy. They even pull destination/park models without a WDH.

Bruce
Old 09-27-2018, 09:50 AM   #67
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Considering that the WDH stuff is not installed or supplied by the trailer makers...

How should the drivers hook them up?

These drivers already have to supply the RV battery to get the RV to it's destination.

How much other stuff should they supply?

I'm not making excuses for them...just sayin'.

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 01:56 PM   #68
Site Team

Quote:

Most of them use 1 ton duallies.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 02:41 PM   #69
Professional Curmudgeon

Quote:

Bruce

Hello, I am a professional RV transporter and the only time I do not use a WDH is when I'm pulling a fifth wheel (for obvious reasons).
Further, the transport company I am leased to requires all tow-away drivers to use a WDH. I know several drivers for other companies and they all use WDH too.

Last week I delivered a 19 foot Summerland Mini to Virginia - used my WDH. Yesterday I delivered a Puma 32BHDB (38 feet long) and used the same WDH.
Most guys use the kind of WDH with the underslung bent bars with snap hooks for the chains. This only requires tightening one bolt on each side of the tongue 'A' frame. I personally use the Blue Ox Sway Pro with 2,000 pound bars because I like the brackets that rotate better than the snap up hooks, and they take up less real estate on the tongue. I've run into a couple campers I had to move the propane line a bit to be able to mount my WDH.
I use a deep cycle battery with wing nuts on the posts and a tie down strap to hold the battery box in place on the tongue. I also wrap a very long bungee cord over the plastic propane tank cover. At the rear I remove the bumper caps and spare tire cover (if equipped) and re-install when I get to the dealership. I also use bungee cords to hang my transporter plate on the camper.
It takes about 20 minutes to do a physical inspection of the unit and hook up. About another 10 minutes to fill out my log book and I'm ready to go.

Quote:

The absolute hardest part is getting the brackets on the frame located so that the chain is vertical. Too far forward or too far back can throw the whole thing out of whack.
As far as tilting the hitch head, my Blue Ox is preset and not adjustable. I will say I have seen some transporters buzzing down the highway with campers really nose high and some really nose low. I have a six inch drop on my hitch and all my pulls are level. Don't know about those "other guys" I've seen, but I can't answer for everybody. No matter what system might be in place, no matter how easy it my be to do a thing, there will always be people that can mess it up.

Quote:
Dry weight, or not, they are still heavy. They even pull destination/park models without a WDH.

Bruce

Nobody gets off the storage lot without a WDH correctly installed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0672.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	434.6 KB
ID:	187666   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0662.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	514.8 KB
ID:	187667  
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote