Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2016, 05:36 AM   #1

WDH question

First time hauling with new TV a few days ago, felt as if i was getting some sway, nothing to crazy but wanted to address it. i was running 5 chain links under tension on my Reese Dual cam, so i adjusted to 6 links and seemed to handle better. My Question is would having to much weight transferred back to the TV be a possible cause of some sway? also with the 6 links under tension the rear of the truck is aprox 2.5" lower then the front when measuring from ground to wheel well, but i have a 2" leveling kit on my truck so i would assume that these measurements are fairly good? When i had my WDH set to 5 links under tension my wheel well measurements where only 1" lower in the rear but didnt seem to handle as well.
phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 07:19 AM   #2
Site Team

If you were having any sway issues, you should have gone to 4 links under tension.

Having said that, the best way to tell how the WDH is set up is to take it to a set of scales and weigh it.
Old 05-24-2016, 10:47 AM   #3

You need to set up the WDH based on front wheel loading (aka height).
With trailer removed, measure the height of the front wheel well.
Add trailer and engage WDH. Front wheel well measurement should be as close to previous measurement as possible, but you typically do not want it be be lower than stock, unless you know you have plenty of front GAWR capacity.

This setup will ensure that you have proper stability during steering, braking, etc. And it will leave the proper amount of loading on the rear.

To answer your question, I would say "yes", it's possible that too much weight transfer could cause sway, if it's to the point that your rear axle loading is lighter than stock. But in that case, you would be seriously overloading the front wheels, which you would recognize with your measurements.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 10:54 AM   #4

Ok great. Thanks. With the 5 links under tension the measurments are good in the front (same as unhitched)and the rear is about 1/2 " lower then when unhitched. I was only running 45 psi in front tires and 60 in rear. I have load e rated tires with max 80psi. I think I should probably be running more psi especially in the front. Hopefully this may help.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
phillips is offline   Reply With Quote