Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2012, 01:13 AM   #1

WDH question

I am using a Husky WDH that has bars & chains (not the centerline brand). My question is when you hook up the WDH, is the truck and trailer on a flat surface? Also do you have the support jack down on the ground prior to hooking up the chain on the WDH bar? I tried with and without the support jack and got different results on the chain slot.

I remember Husky manual said to support the trailer with the jack (can't confirm i since their site is down now).

Thanks,
tntrac
tntrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:05 AM   #2

Once you have the hitch on the ball and locked down, you then raise the hitch with the trailer support leg down to take some of the pressure off the bars. There is a procedure for first time setup of WDH you can find on youtube. Yes a flatt surface is what you want for a first time setup.........for my setup, I use 3 links over.......meaning I have 3 links from the top laying over and I am engaging the 4th link in the chain on the bar.
Trevor43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:08 AM   #3

Here is the link for the setup video......
Old 10-01-2012, 03:23 AM   #4

X2 when you are setting up your hitch for the first time, you need to be an a level surface. Once you have established that, you can hook and unhook in almost any angle. Like Trevor said, check out YouTube or possibly even you brands web site for hints and tips. Best of luck to you sir
Not_So_Mini-Lite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:38 AM   #5
CampingQueen

x2 on what Trevor said..

Once your hitch is connected and secured on the ball, raise the tongue jack back up a goodly bit. The more weight that is on the tongue jack, the easier it will be to get the bars/chains connected, and the safer too, as you don't have to use so much force to get them up and connected. Plus this allows you to get them tighter.

After the initial setup (which as noted works best when the TT and TV are on flat ground) you can hitch it up on an angle, but it will be harder to get one bar side up than the other if it's uneven.
2011: 17 nights 2012: 26 nights 2013: 46 2014: 20 2015: 16
arlee453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:05 PM   #6

Thanks guys. I have a side question regarding the pin that locks the bracket.

The groove of the pin seems small so I pushed the pin all the way into the large loop. Since it had room to move around, it sort of scrapped the side of the metal. I am thinking of just getting a lock. Anybody have other alternatives.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:17 PM   #7

They will not move.........if you push it all the way on to the big loop........it's going to be a lot of work getting it off.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor43 View Post
They will not move.........if you push it all the way on to the big loop........it's going to be a lot of work getting it off.
It was a pain to pull it off. I am a little paranoid about things coming off (just a personality thing)
Old 10-01-2012, 02:40 PM   #9

Once things wear in, it will get easier. Although, from your pic it looks like its not the new setup I thought it was. I too have had an issue getting that pin into the holes
Not_So_Mini-Lite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:03 PM   #10
Site Team

It does become easier to remove as time goes on. If necessary I use a small hammer to gently tap it. The anti swag pin is even worst because of the p-tanks. Wearing work gloves can help save your fingers.

Recommend buying a few extra pins to have on hand just in case. I picked some up from Lowes for about 67 cents each.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote