Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2019, 01:56 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammoth View Post
well after reading all your comments and watching some videos and reading some reviews it looks like the opinions area all very similar. The hensley and propride are nice, but out of my current budget. so it looks like its between the Equal-i-zer 4pt and the Andersen no sway chain system.

now both of these are very different from each other. and the andersen looks like its a newer tech. but both have good reviews and a good fan base. anyone have any opinions or reasons i should go one over the other or would both be equally effective? they're pretty close in price, so that's not really a factor.

and thanks to everyone for taking the time to help and for your input.
Mammoth, read the negative reviews on both hitches. You may change your mind on using an Anderson. Don't be afraid of the Equalizer. The instruction are there for you to read and understand Take your time. The quickest way to change sway control while driving is to torque down the bolt that controls the square arms. Many don'e even know that is a tool for adjusting your equalizer. If memory serves me right minimum torque on that bolt is 60 ftlbs. Again read the manual ... all of it. Anderson is too simple not always effective and can be damaged fairly easy. My 2 cents Finally not to belabor the point, from what I've seen most camper stores don't know how to install the equalizer properly. So that's why you have some folks knocking it. The beauty and negative is it has many different ways of setting up (which is good), bad is it can be complicated to understand. It allows me to tow a 35 foot camper with my half ton Ram and feel safe ... very safe!
dannybye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 02:07 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammoth View Post
well after reading all your comments and watching some videos and reading some reviews it looks like the opinions area all very similar. The hensley and propride are nice, but out of my current budget. so it looks like its between the Equal-i-zer 4pt and the Andersen no sway chain system.

now both of these are very different from each other. and the andersen looks like its a newer tech. but both have good reviews and a good fan base. anyone have any opinions or reasons i should go one over the other or would both be equally effective? they're pretty close in price, so that's not really a factor.

and thanks to everyone for taking the time to help and for your input.
If interested sent PM, I have a new Husky original model available. Certainly could save $$$. I'm partial to this model. Simple, dependable, great ride, … safe - saved my life twice - due to lane changer that never looked!
270S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 02:29 PM   #23

Anderson is too simple not always effective and can be damaged fairly easy. [/QUOTE]
To simple . guess that makes it bad , not always effective ! meaning sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't ? can be damaged fairly easy ? what can be damaged fairly easy ?
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 02:58 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
Anderson is too simple not always effective and can be damaged fairly easy.
To simple . guess that makes it bad , not always effective ! meaning sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't ? can be damaged fairly easy ? what can be damaged fairly easy ?[/QUOTE]

Read the reviews and not on Etrailer. amazon is a good place to start. Take a look at the one star reviews. Ignore the chronic complainers. Methinks you have an Anderson hitch and have upset you in a way. I'm just the messenger so read the negative reviews. I don't care necessarily about the good useless ones for obvious reasons.
dannybye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 03:09 PM   #25
Site Team

Based on reviews I've read, the Anderson is fine for small and medium trailers but not for long or heavier trailers.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 04:30 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannybye View Post
To simple . guess that makes it bad , not always effective ! meaning sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't ? can be damaged fairly easy ? what can be damaged fairly easy ?
Read the reviews and not on Etrailer. amazon is a good place to start. Take a look at the one star reviews. Ignore the chronic complainers. Methinks you have an Anderson hitch and have upset you in a way. I'm just the messenger so read the negative reviews. I don't care necessarily about the good useless ones for obvious reasons.[/QUOTE]
Don't need to read reviews for ages ago from people who never used it .
Since i have about 26,000 miles of towing with the Andersen with a TH that weighs around 9300 lbs and a 1100 lbs TW i will say it's awesome . Love the andersen simple set up , no sway no bonce , no broken parts no problems . you see maybe you should hold your opinions until you try something your self . up set no just don't like people spreading basically lies about a product they never used .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 09:13 PM   #27

We recommend the Equalizer 4-point hitch without any reservation. We had one that we used on two different TT's over a period of nearly 20 years. Our first TT was a 24-foot Prowler weighing in at about 4500 pounds, replaced with a 27-foot Komfort weighing in at over 7400 pounds. Tow vehicles began with a 1984 Chevy Van 1-ton, followed by a 1993 Ford Chateau 1-ton Club Wagon, followed by a 2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 Diesel. All of the combos worked out just fine.

You will notice some wind effect sway as you drive the freeways, so make sure you are paying attention on the Interstates, especially when an 18-wheeler comes up in the fast lane to pass you. The wind blast off the front of the 18-wheeler will try to push your TT to the right, causing your Tow Vehicle to want to head to the left. Can be very disconcerting.

Now that we tow a 35-foot Cardinal fifth wheel, wind sway issues are practically non-existent.
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 11:43 PM   #28
Multi-Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Based on reviews I've read, the Anderson is fine for small and medium trailers but not for long or heavier trailers.
My wife is pulling our TT around with an Andersen. Bumper to cup our TT is 33'9" with a GVWR of 8818. She hated the Husky Centerline hitch/unhitch process - especially the bars which are heavy for a gal that is 5'2". Hitch head is too heavy to pull out of the truck on a casual basis. By way of contrast, she can handle the whole process with the Andersen by herself - including pulling the head and storing in the TT.

Since we travel pretty nose heavy I'll estimate our TW at 15% of TT GVWR. Because of that, I had a Class 5 hitch receiver installed. The Andersen is good up to 1400 lbs TW. Fortunately, the TV's payload is 3300 lbs so we need not depend as much on its weight Xfer capabilities. What I gathered from my research was that the Andersen did not do well when the TT was over-matched but does very well when matched or under-matched.

With all that said, I reiterate that our experience is confined to the Husky and the Andersen. Hitched and pulling, both are very and equally effective. It is when stopped and unhitching that the Andersen shines. EMWV (Everybody's Mileage Will Vary)
Old 01-20-2019, 03:08 AM   #29

ProPride

Get a ProPride 3P, you won't regret it. Yea, it's pricey, but the ease of towing and safety is priceless.
Oafdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 07:58 AM   #30

When I was looking for our wdh, I read pretty heavily into the Anderson. I like the idea of it, but it seemed like several folks had poor experiences with it when it came to larger heavier trailers paired with half tons. The good reviews seemed very common with half ton/small to medium TT, or 3/4 paired with a larger trailer. Since I use a half ton ram to pull or 32’ 7500lb TT, the equalizer stood out more. And I’m very very pleased with it after I took it to cat scales for set up.
911Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 08:40 AM   #31
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
This wdh is on my NO list. Seen a few of these setup, too many performance issues for me.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 08:56 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtPutnam View Post
I just went through the analysis a few months ago. My conclusions were that Propride then Hensley were best but at a price point that was unrealistic for us. In the 2nd tier are Andersen, Blue Ox, Equalizer-4-pt, Husky Centerline, and Reese.

I have now used the Husky Centerlines and the Andersen - either is fine. I prefer the Andersen.

I spent hours looking at hitch and unhitch videos for all the hitches and compared them to my criteria. I suggest you do the same because any of the hitches I mentioned will do just fine for you. While you watch the videos, imagine the truck pointing up or down or tilted or at an angle to the hitch cup. YMWV
question, i have the fastway e2 hitch, my tv is a 1500 silverado, tt is 34ft 6800lbs, i do encounter slight sway in the bed of the truck kinda like a wiggle, so i was thinking of changing the hitch to a equalizer or husky centerline ts, I do like the husky due to the sway control shock movement in the hitch head, the fastway not sure about and dont understand the sway control between it and the equalizer hitch, so any thoughts are welcome and thanks for your time
madatme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 10:50 AM   #33
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by madatme View Post
question, i have the fastway e2 hitch, my tv is a 1500 silverado, tt is 34ft 6800lbs, i do encounter slight sway in the bed of the truck kinda like a wiggle, so i was thinking of changing the hitch to a equalizer or husky centerline ts, I do like the husky due to the sway control shock movement in the hitch head, the fastway not sure about and dont understand the sway control between it and the equalizer hitch, so any thoughts are welcome and thanks for your time
A 34' TT is too much trailer for the E2 and its 2 points of sway control. You need the real 4 point Equal-i-zer and its 4 points of sway control.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 11:00 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
Andersen is the way to go . no more messing with bars and all the extra weight and grease with a standard WDH . JMHO
x2 we have a Anderson and the only thing else i would ever consider is a hensley or proride however they are to expensive for my budget
rp53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 11:02 AM   #35

Quote:
I have explained this many times. IMHO, there is NO better WDH than the Husky ORIGINAL! The Husky centerline ts is the Husky original model with the active anti sway removed to compete at a lower price point with the Equalizer - HINT why bother getting a hitch!! The Husky original model has a hydraulic snubber that actively prevents sway as sway may be initially starting. With the solid bar, the TT & TV are truly 1. his may be noticed first-hand on a wavy oscillating road where the TT & TV move vertically together as one solid unit as the TT & TV are at different heights/angles. There is no comparison as to true UNIFORM Wight Distribution between TV & TT using a solid bar vs a chain. With a bar they are truly linked together as one. Front and rear Roll and traction bars in vehicles use bars not chains. It is the anti torsion feature of a solid bar that enables pure resistance.

As far as describing how it works, the solid bar provides vertical and horizontal resistance to prevent sway and "literally" combine the TV & TT into a solid unit with a "single" (joined at the hip) solid chassis so that the weight is truly distributed evenly. This original model Husky also has the active sway because of the hydraulic unit shown by the arrow resists sway from the moment here is any mis alignment between the TV & TT.

If interested send PM as I have a new/hardly used one for sale. My TT was 6300# & TV was a GMC Sierra 1500 5700#. 12,000# combined weight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	husky.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	322.5 KB
ID:	195002  
270S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 07:06 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270S View Post
I have explained this many times. IMHO, there is NO better WDH than the Husky ORIGINAL! The Husky centerline ts is the Husky original model with the active anti sway removed to compete at a lower price point with the Equalizer - HINT why bother getting a hitch!! The Husky original model has a hydraulic snubber that actively prevents sway as sway may be initially starting. With the solid bar, the TT & TV are truly 1. his may be noticed first-hand on a wavy oscillating road where the TT & TV move vertically together as one solid unit as the TT & TV are at different heights/angles. There is no comparison as to true UNIFORM Wight Distribution between TV & TT using a solid bar vs a chain. With a bar they are truly linked together as one. Front and rear Roll and traction bars in vehicles use bars not chains. It is the anti torsion feature of a solid bar that enables pure resistance.

As far as describing how it works, the solid bar provides vertical and horizontal resistance to prevent sway and "literally" combine the TV & TT into a solid unit with a "single" (joined at the hip) solid chassis so that the weight is truly distributed evenly. This original model Husky also has the active sway because of the hydraulic unit shown by the arrow resists sway from the moment here is any mis alignment between the TV & TT.

If interested send PM as I have a new/hardly used one for sale. My TT was 6300# & TV was a GMC Sierra 1500 5700#. 12,000# combined weight.
i didnt explain very well on how it works, was curious about were the spring bars mount in the receiver socket if there was a big difference as in hitch/sway control. Any way so do you recommend the husky over the equalizer? the used one you have would probably cost a fortune to ship to Ohio
madatme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 10:52 PM   #37
Multi-Slacker

Quote:
I have never used a Fastway nor an Equalizer which means that I am unable to answer your question. Sorry
Old 01-20-2019, 11:34 PM   #38

First TT, Rockwood 2507S with 2017 F-150 2.7L (6500 tow capacity) using the 10,000 lb Bue Ox WDH. First tow home was 3 hours on Interstate thru PA, MD, and VA. No problems at 65 mph and 20 mph winds.

I like the easy bar inserts and no grease needed. So far so good.
Delnari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 01:32 AM   #39

As a former owner of a Hensley Arrow, I concluded that a modern 4-point friction-style anti-sway hitch (Equalizer, Husky Centerline TS, Reese Steadi-Flex and others) can also provide a completely safe and satisfactory towing experience. I towed a 26-foot Outback trailer for many years with a Hensley Arrow. I never experienced trailer sway, and the Hensley worked exactly as advertised. Even with that knowledge, I purchased a far less expensive Husky Centerline TS hitch for my 27-foot Grey Wolf trailer. In terms of weight distribution, the Husky performs as well or better than the Hensley Arrow. The Centerline TS does not eliminate sway like the Hensley, but it continuously controls and immediately corrects sway in every situation I've encountered. I would expect any of the four-point systems (where sway control is provided via a highly-torqued hitch head, combined with the friction of spring bars on sway control support brackets) will perform in a similar manner.

I am completely satisfied with the performance of the Husky Centerline TS weight distribution hitch. Likewise, I've never heard a negative word from an owner who actually uses an Equalizer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Husky Centerline TS_LI (3).jpg
Views:	83
Size:	565.4 KB
ID:	195035   Click image for larger version

Name:	Titan and Trailer - Leveled Oct 18.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	645.8 KB
ID:	195036  
Go West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 10:20 AM   #40

I also use a Husky Centerline T/S. I have used it with two trailers. The current trailer is the biggest, about 33’ and 7500 pounds. Tow with a Ram 1500. I am perfectly satisfied and have never had an issue towing. Pros-comes with ball installed, relatively inexpensive, reasonable quiet, works well. Cons-hitch Head is pretty heavy, greasy ball, have to store bars, hitch, and bar lift tool when unhitched. I have always been intrigued by the Andersen and will probably try one when I need to replace current hitch.
mannagills is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer