Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2019, 05:18 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Mammoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: NJ
Posts: 143
WDH recommendation for new trailer

hello all, and thanks in advance for the help. I am about to purchase a new trailer. it will be a rockwood 2509S and it's weight is 5200lbs and the hitch weight is 710lbs. I am Pulling it with a 2016 F150 5L V8 and my tow rating is 9100lbs.

with that out of the way, i would like to get a WDH with sway control when i purchase the trailer. I have tried reading about them here but it seemed hard to filter thru all the posts, so i figured i'd make a fresh one for me. what would be the ones you guys would recommend i look at for my specific setup? and if you could tell me the pros/cons of each if possible. i know i may be asking a lot but i just want to make sure i purchase the correct thing and dont regret my decision 6 months from now.

thanks again, and as always, happy RVing to you all!
__________________

Mammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 05:25 PM   #2
Site Team
 
Platokidd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: top side land of Lincoln
Posts: 7,088
I use the Equalizer 4 pt hitch - works well for me. There are several other good ones on the market.

Also , I wouldn't go with the Andersen.
__________________

__________________
2014 LaCrosse 323RST-TE-C
2009 Chevy 2500HD Z71
Seasonal

R.I.P. Luke the campin dog
Platokidd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 05:28 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammoth View Post
hello all, and thanks in advance for the help. I am about to purchase a new trailer. it will be a rockwood 2509S and it's weight is 5200lbs and the hitch weight is 710lbs. I am Pulling it with a 2016 F150 5L V8 and my tow rating is 9100lbs.

with that out of the way, i would like to get a WDH with sway control when i purchase the trailer. I have tried reading about them here but it seemed hard to filter thru all the posts, so i figured i'd make a fresh one for me. what would be the ones you guys would recommend i look at for my specific setup? and if you could tell me the pros/cons of each if possible. i know i may be asking a lot but i just want to make sure i purchase the correct thing and dont regret my decision 6 months from now.

thanks again, and as always, happy RVing to you all!
Since this is not your first trailer I will start by asking what you used previously and how was that experience for you.
Virtually everyone has a different level of comfort for what's acceptable.
myxkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 05:38 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Mammoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: NJ
Posts: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by myxkp View Post
Since this is not your first trailer I will start by asking what you used previously and how was that experience for you.
Virtually everyone has a different level of comfort for what's acceptable.
right now i have the one with the 2 bars and a friction sway bar. i wanted to get away from the friction sway control and get a WDH that has the sway control built in. i guess i should have mentioned that as well, sorry.
Mammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 06:21 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 54
Equalizer 4pt is what Iíve been using for 10k miles pulling our 28í bunk house with a half ton Ram. We love it. Had the e2 before that and the 4pt is noticeably better
911Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 06:51 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Mammoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: NJ
Posts: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911Fire View Post
Equalizer 4pt is what Iíve been using for 10k miles pulling our 28í bunk house with a half ton Ram. We love it. Had the e2 before that and the 4pt is noticeably better
thanks, i'll take a look into that one.
Mammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 06:57 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Astatula, FL
Posts: 150
+ 1 for the E4.
__________________
Mark Wilson

No trees were harmed while sending this message;
however, a rather large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.


TT: 2018 Surveyor 243RBS TV:2012 F150 5.0L Scab
mawilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 07:02 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Mammoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: NJ
Posts: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911Fire View Post
Equalizer 4pt is what Iíve been using for 10k miles pulling our 28í bunk house with a half ton Ram. We love it. Had the e2 before that and the 4pt is noticeably better
this is the one you are talking about correct?

https://www.equalizerhitch.com/
Mammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 07:03 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 293
We donít know your specific wants and budget, so Iíll just put out there one that I found to be a good overall value - it comes with an anti sway bar and some pre assembly as well as different weight ratings for tongue weight and overall weight:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
__________________
TV - 2002 GMC Yukon XL 2500, 8.1 liter (496ci), 4L85e & positraction with 3.73 gears
TT - 2013 Dutchmen Aspen Trail 3130 QBS
Drinks of choice: woodford reserve, knob creek & any great bourbon-just about any of San Diegoís craft beer and Pabst Blue Ribbon
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 07:12 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 4
It is funny you should post this thread. My wife and I are planning on purchasing a 2509s either this fall or we are going to wait for next spring and get a 2020 model. I have been contemplating what hitch to get for this trailer. We will be towing with 3/4 ton suburban with 8.1 vortec. I have always been torn. My heart truly wanted a propride or hensley but the cost hits the pocket book hard. But going this route you know you have the best and I havn't heard of a person having any regrets using one of the hitches. The Equilizer was my other option. A lot easier on the pocket book and people seem to have great reviews on it. To wrap it up, I actually just bought a Hensley arrow today. I found a used one on craigslist that was bought this past june and only used twice. The owner upgraded to a fifth wheel and had no use for it. I paid right at half price for a basically new Hensley and couldn't be happier. If you do a national craigslist search you might score a deal also. Now just have to get the trailer! If you can swing the cost I highly recommend just biting the bullet on a hensley or propride. If not I think a properly set up equilizer can serve you well.
__________________

rte1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
trailer

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:44 PM.