Old 01-18-2019, 05:18 PM   #1

WDH recommendation for new trailer

hello all, and thanks in advance for the help. I am about to purchase a new trailer. it will be a rockwood 2509S and it's weight is 5200lbs and the hitch weight is 710lbs. I am Pulling it with a 2016 F150 5L V8 and my tow rating is 9100lbs.

with that out of the way, i would like to get a WDH with sway control when i purchase the trailer. I have tried reading about them here but it seemed hard to filter thru all the posts, so i figured i'd make a fresh one for me. what would be the ones you guys would recommend i look at for my specific setup? and if you could tell me the pros/cons of each if possible. i know i may be asking a lot but i just want to make sure i purchase the correct thing and dont regret my decision 6 months from now.

thanks again, and as always, happy RVing to you all!

Mammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 05:25 PM   #2
Site Team

I use the Equalizer 4 pt hitch - works well for me. There are several other good ones on the market.

Also , I wouldn't go with the Andersen.

R.I.P. Luke the campin dog
Platokidd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 05:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammoth View Post
hello all, and thanks in advance for the help. I am about to purchase a new trailer. it will be a rockwood 2509S and it's weight is 5200lbs and the hitch weight is 710lbs. I am Pulling it with a 2016 F150 5L V8 and my tow rating is 9100lbs.

with that out of the way, i would like to get a WDH with sway control when i purchase the trailer. I have tried reading about them here but it seemed hard to filter thru all the posts, so i figured i'd make a fresh one for me. what would be the ones you guys would recommend i look at for my specific setup? and if you could tell me the pros/cons of each if possible. i know i may be asking a lot but i just want to make sure i purchase the correct thing and dont regret my decision 6 months from now.

thanks again, and as always, happy RVing to you all!
Since this is not your first trailer I will start by asking what you used previously and how was that experience for you.
Virtually everyone has a different level of comfort for what's acceptable.
myxkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 05:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by myxkp View Post
Since this is not your first trailer I will start by asking what you used previously and how was that experience for you.
Virtually everyone has a different level of comfort for what's acceptable.
right now i have the one with the 2 bars and a friction sway bar. i wanted to get away from the friction sway control and get a WDH that has the sway control built in. i guess i should have mentioned that as well, sorry.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:21 PM   #5

Equalizer 4pt is what Iíve been using for 10k miles pulling our 28í bunk house with a half ton Ram. We love it. Had the e2 before that and the 4pt is noticeably better
911Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 06:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911Fire View Post
Equalizer 4pt is what Iíve been using for 10k miles pulling our 28í bunk house with a half ton Ram. We love it. Had the e2 before that and the 4pt is noticeably better
thanks, i'll take a look into that one.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:57 PM   #7

+ 1 for the E4.

No trees were harmed while sending this message;
however, a rather large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

TT: 2018 Surveyor 243RBS TV:2012 F150 5.0L Scab
mawilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 07:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911Fire View Post
this is the one you are talking about correct?

https://www.equalizerhitch.com/
Old 01-18-2019, 07:03 PM   #9

We donít know your specific wants and budget, so Iíll just put out there one that I found to be a good overall value - it comes with an anti sway bar and some pre assembly as well as different weight ratings for tongue weight and overall weight:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 07:12 PM   #10

It is funny you should post this thread. My wife and I are planning on purchasing a 2509s either this fall or we are going to wait for next spring and get a 2020 model. I have been contemplating what hitch to get for this trailer. We will be towing with 3/4 ton suburban with 8.1 vortec. I have always been torn. My heart truly wanted a propride or hensley but the cost hits the pocket book hard. But going this route you know you have the best and I havn't heard of a person having any regrets using one of the hitches. The Equilizer was my other option. A lot easier on the pocket book and people seem to have great reviews on it. To wrap it up, I actually just bought a Hensley arrow today. I found a used one on craigslist that was bought this past june and only used twice. The owner upgraded to a fifth wheel and had no use for it. I paid right at half price for a basically new Hensley and couldn't be happier. If you do a national craigslist search you might score a deal also. Now just have to get the trailer! If you can swing the cost I highly recommend just biting the bullet on a hensley or propride. If not I think a properly set up equilizer can serve you well.

rte1985 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer