Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2019, 04:10 PM   #1

WDH Tuning with Haul Gauge

Anyone using Haul Guage to tune their WDH set up? We have a new f-250 gasser and a FS 27BHWS. I set up the 12000lb Equalizer with a tape measure and the numbers were good, but I wasn't impressed with the way it towed. It felt like the front end was too light, even though the measurements between the loaded and unloaded were within spec.

I bought a Haul Gage to see if I could get more weight to transfer forward. I had scaled my truck prior to the purchase so I had a baseline weight. I tested the Haul Gage's weight measurement and it surprised me. The directions say the more attempts the better the accuracy, so I did 6 or so slow starts and once it locked on the correct weight, it never changed.

Moving on to check the weight transfer, I had 5 washers in the stud and the first check is below. The left column is the load on the front, middle column is load on rear axle of the truck and the right column is the load on the camper axles. So there was WAY too much weight on the rear axle, but I had very, very little squat. As you can see, the front end was light. Time to add some washers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190517- 5 washers.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	206648  
t.simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 04:16 PM   #2

We are camping this weekend, so I will jump in and show you this afternoons check.

Long story short....I added one washer at a time and re-tested. It turns out that 8 washers was the magic number for my truck. I checked this with the tape and it is spot on, exactly half between loaded and unloaded. I will let you know how it feels on Monday!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_20190607-8 washers.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	206649  
Old 06-09-2019, 10:56 AM   #3

Looks good and you are happy. Does this require you to load the rig and TV same way each time? Myself I'm more into keeping it simple.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:34 AM   #4

Hey Sea Dog - no, there are no restrictions on how you load. The tool lets you check your load to make sure your tongue weight, vehicle weights and weight distribution are where you want them. We load out differently depending on where we are going. Dry camping at a music festival will have more people in the truck, a generator, additional propane etc. The camping that we did this weekend was just the two of us in a full hook up RV park.