Old 06-17-2011, 12:19 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
If these weights are correct, then yes, you have 1030 lbs. added to your truck through the trailer tongue. Your actual trailer tongue weight will be more. Wow, that is a big jump from the listed 600 lb. tongue weight listed on the Forest River site. Is your camper already loaded for camping ???

You must be using really sensitive scales.....most truck scales have 20 lb. increments. It is unusual to see odd numbers in the second from right digit spot. What type of scales are you using ?? I am just wondering how accurate the scales are, and if the operators truly know how to operate them.

1 thing I notice that will help the overall weight on your truck, is that you do not have enough weight back on the front axle when you hook up the trailer. You are still missing 200 lbs. there. By adjusting your hitch, you can put your lost weight back on the front axle, loose a little on the rear axle, and throw some weight back to your trailer axle. Once you get your hitch adjusted, you will probably lose all sag in the back of your truck, and you won't need the air bags and beefier springs that was suggested earlier.

I don't remember if you stated what hitch you are using, but hopefully it is an integrated WDH with sway control. With those types of hitches, putting more weight on the front axle will improve your sway control by tightening up the spring bars on their seats or cams.
Yes, the trailer is empty (no gear of water) and I am using a reese WDH with a seperate sway control. Be fore I start messing with the Hitch, I am only using the 2 link in the chains for the spring bars. What is the outcome if I were to use the 3rd link, or first link? Does this alter the weight on the TV axles? I will be posting the tow tickets in the morning. Also, if I were to upgrade the rear Truck springs this would not increase my trucks cargo capacity correct? It is the axles that I am limited by correct?

Thank You.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:32 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Do the numbers add up like mine did?
I only have the first set of weights with the trailer attached:
Front axle 3200
Rear axle 3400
This brings my Truck weght at 6600 lbs, and as was pointed out it is different from what the ticket says. It states my truck weight is 6800.

Trailer 5420

Total 12,300

And todays weight w/o trailer

Front axle 3400
Rear Axle 2450

I Hope the pics of the tickets can clear this up!

Thanks

Old 06-17-2011, 07:46 AM   #33
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilcin View Post
I only have the first set of weights with the trailer attached:
Front axle 3200
Rear axle 3400
This brings my Truck weight at 6600 lbs, and as was pointed out it is different from what the ticket says. It states my truck weight is 6800.

Trailer 5420

Total 12,300

And today's weight w/o trailer

Front axle 3400
Rear Axle 2450

I Hope the pics of the tickets can clear this up!

Thanks
Bill,

Can you try to post the pictures of the tickets again? I am dense this morning and still don't get it. How can your truck axles weight 6600 pounds yet the truck weighs 6800?

If you add the stated axle loads to the trailer you still don't come up with your combined weight. Only by adding the higher 6800 pound number to the trailer axles do you get 12,220 (12,300).

axles plus trailer comes to 12,020

"your ticket weight" (6800) plus trailer comes to 12,220 rounded to 12,300

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:12 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Some clarifications are needed:

Quote:
Yes, the trailer is empty (no gear of water) and I am using a reese WDH with a seperate sway control.
Is the Reese a Straight Line Dual Cam setup like this ??

Name:   Capture Reese.JPG
Views: 89
Size:  18.4 KB

Or do you have something like this for sway control ?? (Amazon.com: Reese Towpower 83660 Value Friction Sway Control: Automotive)

Quote:
Before I start messing with the Hitch, I am only using the 2 link in the chains for the spring bars. What is the outcome if I were to use the 3rd link, or first link?
What are you considering the 2nd link ?? Does that mean you have 1 link hanging free, or do you have 2 links under tension between the spring bars and snap up bracket. Reese setups recommend at least 5 lengths of chain under tension. I agree, don't start messing with your setup until we can figure out your weight tickets.

Quote:
Does this alter the weight on the TV axles?
Switching to a different chain length will definitely alter your axle weights.

Quote:
I will be posting the tow tickets in the morning. Also, if I were to upgrade the rear Truck springs this would not increase my trucks cargo capacity correct? It is the axles that I am limited by correct?
I agree with Lou, seeing your weight sheet will be very interesting. Also, posting a photo of your setup would be great.

As stated before in this thread, adding air bags of beefier springs to your truck will not increase your cargo carrying capacity. With a properly setup WDH, those add-ons should not be needed. If they are needed after all is said and done, then a 3/4 or 1 ton pickup should be considered.

Also, I don't think the truck stats have been addressed here. Engine, final drive ratio, cab type, bed length, and whether you have the factory tow package is other information that needs to be addressed.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 01:00 PM   #35

Ok, here are the pics of the weight tickets.
#1 shows the weight of my truck, both axles weighing 6880 (drive axle) and trailer weight at 5420 for total weight of 12,300.

When I told the attendent I needed each truck axle weighed pic # 2 shows mt Front axle weight at 3200.

Pic #3 shows rear axle weight (steer axle) at 3,400 and my trailer weight at 5420.

I located the 200lb difference in weight from pic #1 6880 and pics #2 & 3. these show axle weights of 3200 and 3400 = 6600. I was inside my truck at the first weighing (pic #1) and for reasons only known to god, on pics 2 & 3 I was oustside of the truck off the scales. I weight 230 so that might explain the 200lb difference.

When I went back without my trailer I weighed just the truck.

Pic #4 shows the front axle at 3440
Pic #5 shows the rear axle at 2560. To be as accurate as I can, I had half a tank of gas when I went for the first weighing and a a full tank when I weighed just the truck, a 90lbs heavier with just the truck pics.

I have a Reese WDH like the one you posted, only I have a seperate sway control bar.

I called the dealership, they again, stated the dry hitch weight is 600 lbs, but I have 2- 30 pounds LP bottles and a battery on the front of trailer bringing the weight to about 810 lbs tounge weight.

My truck specs are as follows

2005 Ford 150 XLT Super cab 4x4 ( 4 doors, front doors open oppisite of rear doors).
Tow package (Trans cooler, Class IV Hitch)
3.73 gears
17 inch tires
5.4 Tritan V8
7200 lb GVWR
Front axle GAWR 3750
Rear GAWR 3850
GCVWR 15,000

I hope this clears up my problem or it might even bring up other problems!

Thank You guys for helping me!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	#1.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	6393   Click image for larger version

Name:	#2.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	6394   Click image for larger version

Name:	#3.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	6395   Click image for larger version

Name:	#4.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	6396   Click image for larger version

Name:	#5.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	6397  

Old 06-17-2011, 01:21 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Doing some ciphering, and getting a headache.

I gotta find out what the scale operator had in his coffee.......geez.

Bilcin, were sitting in the truck when the weights were done in photo #4 & 5 ???

The good thing with your truck stats, is you should have a fairly long wheelbased truck at 145", and a tow capacity of 9300 lbs......same setup as my truck.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:30 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
Doing some ciphering, and getting a headache.

I gotta find out what the scale operator had in his coffee.......geez.

Bilcin, were sitting in the truck when the weights were done in photo #4 & 5 ???

The good thing with your truck stats, is you should have a fairly long wheelbased truck at 145", and a tow capacity of 9300 lbs......same setup as my truck.
Sorry for the head ache!!! Yes in Pic # 4 & 5 I was in the truck. And yes my wheel base is 144.5 inches.

When I went to the scales I thought it would be fairly straight forward, but he had no Idea what I wanted. I asked to wheigh my front, rear axles and trailer ALL seperate, and he couldn't uderstand why I needed seperate weights!!! He was better than his other employee, he coudn't come up with a reading and told me my truck was to light!!! At least the other guy got me weght readings, maybe off a bit though....
So it does look like with the trailer attatched and me in the truck I have only 300 pounds for family! Wife will not be happy sitting home!!! LOL

Does using different chain lengths on the WDH make a difference?

Mtnguy &Herk7769 Thanks for ALL your help and suggestions, they are al very helpful!!!

Bill McKenna
Old 06-17-2011, 02:34 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Still ciphering. You are not responsible for the headaches here......that Cat scale operator is.

Yes, different chain lengths will make big difference. This question from my post #34 remains unanswered:

What are you considering the 2nd link ?? Does that mean you have 1 link hanging free, or do you have 2 links under tension between the spring bars and snap up bracket. Reese setups recommend at least 5 lengths of chain under tension. I agree, don't start messing with your setup until we can figure out your weight tickets.

We have to determine how you currently have your setup. A picture would be great next time you have your trailer hooked up.

Since you got out of your truck somewhere between photo # 1 and 2, and were sitting in your truck in photo #4, I will have to presume that you sitting in the seat might add 150 lbs. to the front axle in photo #2 ( the seat is about 1/3 of the way back between the front and rear axle). So you probably are at 3350 lbs. with the trailer hooked up, and 3400 with just the truck. That ain't too shabby. Loosing 1 more chain length under tension (if you are within the Reese minimum 5 link specs) will put your over your unloaded weight, but not by much, and should still keep the front axle under the GAWR. It will throw a couple of more pounds back on the trailer axle, but don't expect much more cargo and passanger capacity than your stated 320 lbs. Others can chime in if I am missing something obvious.

Again, using my own setup as an example, ready to camp but without the missus and dog, I have 480 lbs. to go with my GVWR. Adding their 230 lbs. (the dog weighs 120 lbs., of course ) to the mix, I am now within 250 lbs. of my GVWR. That is the down side of a 1/2 ton pickup. The manfacturers state 10,000 or more tow capacity, but in reality that is much less because of the stated GVWR......tongue weight is a killer.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:57 PM   #39

Yes, from #34 post, I have 1 link hanging free. And I agree, the Scale Operator made a simple task into a monumental one!!!!!!!!!!! Geeze, it was a simple task at that! LOL
Old 06-17-2011, 04:14 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

If it were me, here is what I would try:

Getting loaded for camping, I would aim for loading the camper heavy in the back, since it looks like you have plenty of tongue weight. It doesn't mean you can't use your front pass thru, but keep it lite if possible. Looks like the fridge is behind the wheels, and that is good. You can load up the wardrobe, and secure luggage across the bunks....that type of thing. I load our camper heavy in the back.

Ready to go camping with the camper and the truck loaded, go back across the CAT scales.....hopefully getting an operator on duty that knows what they are doing. Since the 1st weigh-in is the expensive one, do 4 weigh-ins.

1. With camper and truck without spring bars.
2. With camper and truck with spring bars at current setting.
3. With camper and truck with 1 chain link tighter on the spring bar.
4. Drop the camper in the lot, and weigh just the truck.

Be consistent either in or out of the truck.....better in. You can figure out the missus' addition later if she is not available for the weigh-ins. From the front seat, aproximately 2/3 of the weight there should be reflected on the front axle, and 1/3 on the back axle.

Number 1 minus number 4 will give you a true tongue weight. No. 3 should give you more weight on the trailer and front truck axle, and less on the rear axle than #2. The additional weight put on the trailer axle will be taken from your truck weight. You have to be careful here that you don't overload the truck front axle, though. Your current setup might be the best if #3 adds too much weight to the front axle.....compared to the truck alone.

Sounds like you have a good handle on things, now for the final tweaking.