Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2015, 05:51 AM   #1

Weight calculations

What are the different sets of calculations to check actuals versus spec? When measuring the total for the truck, I add all people, pets, camper shell and tongue weight? Then add the trailer est weight? What do I calculate to check payload?

Sorry for all the questions, but I think I am close to weight limits. 2004 f150 total gcw 14k.
Pirateman98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 10:04 AM   #2
Always Learning

Do you have the truck and camper? If so, the very best way is to take it to a scale and get weighed.

If not, you can estimate things (or if you only have the truck, but not the camper- you would weigh one but estimate the other).

But, basically - you're going to add the base weight of the truck with the things you mentioned to see if you're at/under/over the GVWR of the truck.

I have a few calculators at Towing Planner - towing capability calculators that are supposed to help.
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 10:22 AM   #3

The only way to know actual weight is to go to the scales and get it weighed. There is no calculation to check actual weight.

Payload is anything you add to the truck in excess of a 150lb driver and full or fuel. Any cargo, people, gear and what not you add to the truck eats into paylaod. TW and camper shell eat into payload! You do not have to add in trailer weight for payload, just the Tongue Weight (the portion resting on the truck) remember to add in the TW as fully loaded not the dry TW that the brochure states.

When I set mine up I did a few passes in the weight lane. The first one I just weighed the truck full of fuel with me in it. The second pass I did the truck and an empty camper, the third pass I weighed ready to camp (minus full of water). I did it this way so I would know what each piece exactly weighed and I would not have to guess at anything, this also allowed me to get the base weight of everything so if I change my loading or something I will not what the original weight was to get a feel for the situation. It was a pain took me the better part of a day to do, but worth it in my opinion.

Nights Camped (2018-16) (2017-16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:55 AM   #4

To calculate payload weight I need to include all people, dogs and tongue weight? If using a wdh doesn't that spread the weight out to split between truck and camper
Pirateman98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:03 AM   #5

Yes to calculate payload weight you need to add in all people, cargo, animals, anything you add to the truck to include the actual weight of the WDH you are using.

A WDH does spread the weight out, it distributes weight from the back to the front to even out the load. Even with a WDH the capabilities of the truck remain constant. A WDH does not let you tow more weight or carry more weight (with respect to the stated capabilities of the truck in terms of max weights), it merely distributes the weight.

Old 06-03-2015, 11:26 AM   #6

Actually, a WDH usually does allow you to tow more. For example, most 1/2-ton trucks are limited to 5000/500 without a WDH. Same for my Mountaineer. For my previous tow vehicles (minivans), I only got 2000 lbs without. With WDH, I got 3800lbs.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 12:04 PM   #7
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirateman98 View Post
To calculate payload weight I need to include all people, dogs and tongue weight? If using a wdh doesn't that spread the weight out to split between truck and camper
It's my understanding that it does spread the weight, but that is offset by the weight of the WDH hitch itself.
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 12:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrakeman View Post
Actually, a WDH usually does allow you to tow more. For example, most 1/2-ton trucks are limited to 5000/500 without a WDH. Same for my Mountaineer. For my previous tow vehicles (minivans), I only got 2000 lbs without. With WDH, I got 3800lbs.
That's why I added the caveat of "with respect to the stated maxes of the truck"........

Old 06-04-2015, 04:38 AM   #9
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirateman98 View Post
A WDH is intended to distribute the weight of the TT's connection to the TV along the length of the TV. A WDH does not transfer weight from the TV to the TT. Your ultimate concern needs to be the GVWR of the TV. You may find that crunching the numbers related to people, fur kids and tongue weight will render a result that puts you within the TV's max GVWR. However, go weigh the TV/TT setup and be prepared for a WTH!

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 04:54 AM   #10

Be sure when you take it to the scales that you have it loaded as you were ready to take it camping with all normal supplies / gear, pets, and people, etc.

CAT scales or similar are the best as you can get a total weight & weigh the axles on seperate plates but they are set up for tractor trailers. There should be instructions if you do a search or maybe someone can post a link.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 05:29 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandl View Post
A WDH is intended to distribute the weight of the TT's connection to the TV along the length of the TV. A WDH does not transfer weight from the TV to the TT. Your ultimate concern needs to be the GVWR of the TV. You may find that crunching the numbers related to people, fur kids and tongue weight will render a result that puts you within the TV's max GVWR. However, go weigh the TV/TT setup and be prepared for a WTH!
I agree with this fully. Despite a previous post, the WDH does not allow you to pull heavier loads. The driveline, gearing, suspension, size of wheels/tires and brakes are designed by the manufacturer to carry and pull up to a maximum weight. It's the safety factor to be able to stop a load within a certain distance without the aid of trailer brakes if they fail. The WDH distributes weight and allows the load to go down the highway safely with a minimum of sway and loss of front-end steering.
gfarmcafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:17 AM   #12

It does allow me to pull more weight if I don't have a WDH I can only pull 5000 lbs with a WDH I can pull 8600 lbs. It does not change your max weight as has been stated.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight