Old 02-27-2016, 03:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvb View Post
Hello,

I have a FR 195bh on order. This smaller trailer has a book dry weight of 3000lb, max/loaded 3900lb, and a dry hitch weight of 400lb per the brochure. I'm not 100% sure I need a weight distribution + sway control setup, but I'm looking at them, especially since this is a single-axle.

I'm figuring by the time we load it down, add propane, battery, water, etc. plus stuff in the back of the truck, we are looking at ~6-700lb at the hitch... still not a lot compared to many of the bigger TTs.

Any recommendations? Hoping to not spend a fortune (one of the reasons we went w/ a smaller trailer) and something reasonably easy to install.

I was looking at the Curt Trutrack @ ~$350, but it's a 1klb rated system. Do you think that's too stiff? (note also the Equalizer website recommends a 1k-lb system if I plug 550 tongue weight and 100lb cargo weight into their calculator). This is what I would probably go with if it wouldn't be too stiff...

I was also looking at something more old school like this:
Robot Check
but would be willing to pay a few bucks more for simpler hook-up, easier install and less drilling into the trailer frame, etc...

Towing w/ a 2010 F-150.

thanks for your insights!

-rvb
. I tow a 4k trailer (empty) with a harbor freight WD hitch without any problems.

Old 02-27-2016, 03:21 PM   #12

I would not assume the ball is 2 5/16". Mine is 2" on the 2109s

Tomgky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 03:28 PM   #13

I too recommend a weight dist. hitch & sway control...... but not really knowing what your tow vehicle is (I may have missed it) it is a little hard. If its a duelly no need for the wdh ...... still like the sway control, if it is a half ton pickup or less then yes.........

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2013 Puma Unleashed 356 QLB
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 03:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Hello,

I have a FR 195bh on order. This smaller trailer has a book dry weight of 3000lb, max/loaded 3900lb, and a dry hitch weight of 400lb per the brochure. I'm not 100% sure I need a weight distribution + sway control setup, but I'm looking at them, especially since this is a single-axle.

I'm figuring by the time we load it down, add propane, battery, water, etc. plus stuff in the back of the truck, we are looking at ~6-700lb at the hitch... still not a lot compared to many of the bigger TTs.

Any recommendations? Hoping to not spend a fortune (one of the reasons we went w/ a smaller trailer) and something reasonably easy to install.

Towing w/ a 2010 F-150.

thanks for your insights!

-rvb

Our last HTT weighed only 2640 UVW ( double axle ) and by the time we added all our essentials, water, propane, etc. we topped out at roughly 3000 pounds. We are lite travelers.

At first we didn't have a WDH for the HTT due to the fact that it pulled very good. Never a problem towing with our TV. The only problem we encountered was the occasional "bouncing and jerk" on uneven roads or when hitting bumps. We were a bit skeptical about getting a WDH with our HTT being so light, but in the end it was a whole different towing experience once we had it dialed in. Road smoothly. The HTT never skipped a beat when towing.

Many thanks to the advice and help from others here, that we too received.

Here is the one we had purchased and still use on our current TT, along with a sway control kit. Easy assembly as well.

Ultra-Fab 35-946236 Weight Distributing Round Bar Kit 1000 LB | American RV Company
2004 GMC Sierra 2500HD LT 4x4 6.0 / 4:10

The best plans can be of those that happen in the spur of the moment!
Briorick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 07:25 PM   #15

I pick up a similar travel trailer next week - a Flyte 185FQ. I have had many travel trailers of various sizes and always like towing with a weight distribution hitch with built in sway control. I don't like the sway bar because you have to remove it before backing up. I immediately started looking on Craigslist for a Blue Ox. I have used this brand in the past and am familiar with it. Within a few days one popped up right in my neighborhood. I now have a Blue Ox Sway Pro BXW1000, like brand new for less than $300. A lot of people moving from trailers to motorhomes sell them. My last one had a bar that popped up the bracket for the chain. This newer one rotates. Although it has a wrench with it, I ran down to my local Harbor Freight and got a breaker bar to use with a socket - so much easier. Good luck. Oh...the ball on my new one is only a 2". I was surprised it was only a 2" so you should check it first.

Judy
Old 02-28-2016, 07:31 AM   #16
World Wide Wanderer

We just sold our similar sized trailer, a Coleman CM16FBS. Ours was around 3600# loaded with a solid 500# tongue weight when loaded up. We used the Eazy Lift Elite round bar with a separate sway control. It is what Camping World installed when we purchased the trailer. Only problem was they used 1,000 bars and it made for a very stiff ride. I hunted down a set of 600# bars and it greatly improved the ride of the truck and trailer. Your trailer most likely has the 2-5/16" ball but I would verify it to make sure. I was happy with the hitch once it was properly set up.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 09:45 AM   #17
rvb

Thanks everyone for the inputs. At this point I'm going to wait till I pick up the trailer. I expect a call in a week or two. That way I'll know the ball size, maybe see what the dealer has (maybe I can get a deal the day I pick up that betters amazon prime or free install), etc.

I was originally planning a WDH, but at the RV show when we sat down to work out #s I asked about the cost to include one and he said for a trailer that size I wouldn't need one. So that's why I was in the mind set I'd wait and see how it handled....

thanks again,
-rvb
Old 02-29-2016, 05:42 PM   #18

I wouldn't pull a tt without WDH with sway control. Make sure you look at E4 or and Anderson would work good for your truck. The hitches with the side brake for sway doesn't work very well with a single axle trailer.
Hensley Cub hitch ,
jlgail4309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 03:11 PM   #19
rvb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgail4309 View Post
I wouldn't pull a tt without WDH with sway control. Make sure you look at E4 or and Anderson would work good for your truck. The hitches with the side brake for sway doesn't work very well with a single axle trailer.
That's the first I've heard that. interesting that it would matter. I know tandem axles are inherently more stable
Old 03-01-2016, 06:27 PM   #20

Quote:
That's the first I've heard that. interesting that it would matter. I know tandem axles are inherently more stable
It could have been the suv in the setup. But tried everything and couldn't get the sway out of the setup. So bought the Hensley cub. Might have been over kill but wife a two kids in the car. Sway went away. I think the tow TV makes a big difference.

Tags
hitch, weight