Old 03-03-2016, 08:21 PM   #31

Exactly

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Old 03-03-2016, 08:31 PM   #32

I have a Honda Ridgeline. In the owner's manual they advise against a WDH so I use only a friction sway bar.

I know a lot of people say to ignore the manual and use one anyway and I've certainly thought about it as I definitely know the trailer is back there (especially when getting passed by 18 wheelers on the highway).

I'm just afraid that if I did use a WDH Honda could use it as an excuse to not cover warranty repairs. And if I were ever in any kind of accident the insurance company could use it as an excuse not to pay because the manufacturer advises against WDH use.

Old 03-03-2016, 08:47 PM   #33
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unnamed Reader View Post
I have a Honda Ridgeline. In the owner's manual they advise against a WDH so I use only a friction sway bar.

I know a lot of people say to ignore the manual and use one anyway and I've certainly thought about it as I definitely know the trailer is back there (especially when getting passed by 18 wheelers on the highway).

I'm just afraid that if I did use a WDH Honda could use it as an excuse to not cover warranty repairs. And if I were ever in any kind of accident the insurance company could use it as an excuse not to pay because the manufacturer advises against WDH use.
Main reason we dropped the Ridgeline from consideration, when we shopping for a new tow vehicle, though we loved it.

For Honda to advise against WDHs for their vehicles to tow travel trailers, makes no sense.
It makes you think they don't consider their vehicles as capable tow vehicles other than popups and A frame trailers.
They don't seem to think they're sturdy enough for it.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 09:00 PM   #34

We owned the Ridgeline before we ever bought our first camper or even knew we wanted to be campers. And it was paid off. I like not having payments. Our next truck, though, won't be a Ridgeline.

I've read some opinions that the recommendation against the WDH is because of the unibody construction which is different than other pickups. I don't know as it is out of my area of expertise.

I've wondered if I should at least add a second friction sway bar.

Before we got our trailer, the only thing I'd ever towed was a lightweight pop up. You genuinely could forget it was back there. So, now I'm not sure what is a normal amount of movement for a lightweight trailer being passed on the highway and what is cause for concern.

So, my advice to the OP is if you don't own a Ridgeline go with WDH and avoid the worry and wonder.
Old 03-04-2016, 03:50 PM   #35

I test drove our 2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan/2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame (about 2400lbs at that time) around the dealer lot. Even at 25-30 MPH, there was considerable porpoising, with both the minivan rear end and trailer nose doing a lot of bobbing. I was not a happy camper.

Dealer persuaded me to install the E2 Equalizer 600/6000. On the test drive, I could not believe the difference. Camper and minivan were extremely stable; minivan rode very close to stock. No sway at 75MPH in crosswinds on the interstate.

Friends don't let friends tow TT without WDH/anti-sway - at least for soft suspension vehicles. With the Equalizer, the wife is comfortable enough to tow the A-frame.

FWIW, I've towed 4 different boats over the years. Boats tow very differently, and only need 3-5% tongue weight to prevent sway. Axles on boat trailers are often adjusted to get the right tongue weight.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame (normal tow weight 2700-2800 lbs, depending on water)
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan

2000 Coleman Westlake PUP
1993 Ford Explorer - no WDH, would start swaying at 62MPH
Old 03-04-2016, 07:52 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unnamed Reader View Post
We owned the Ridgeline before we ever bought our first camper or even knew we wanted to be campers. And it was paid off. I like not having payments. Our next truck, though, won't be a Ridgeline.

I've read some opinions that the recommendation against the WDH is because of the unibody construction which is different than other pickups. I don't know as it is out of my area of expertise.

I've wondered if I should at least add a second friction sway bar.

Before we got our trailer, the only thing I'd ever towed was a lightweight pop up. You genuinely could forget it was back there. So, now I'm not sure what is a normal amount of movement for a lightweight trailer being passed on the highway and what is cause for concern.

So, my advice to the OP is if you don't own a Ridgeline go with WDH and avoid the worry and wonder.
Ridgeline's do have a unibody construction which is just sheet metal panels welded together for strength. Which is the method used most by auto manufacturers build cars since the late 80's. All other trucks manufacturers have the cabs and beds bolted to a solid rigid frame which can handle counteracting forces applied by the WDH.

I have seen couple Ridgelines pulling with WDH but I would not do it. There is a lot of metallurgy, science and technology that goes in to these Ridgeline "trucks" to make them strong and safe. But not really "tow" vehicles.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
Nights camping in 2017: 20 nights
Miles traveled in 2017: 1,530
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 07:06 PM   #37

I have the 195bh and tow with Nissan Titan. I only use a sway control bar and it pulls just fine. No need to spend the extra money for a WDH on such a small unit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-27-2016, 09:49 PM   #38

I have a 195bh and tow it with a 2012 f150.
It uses 2-5/16 ball.
I have been on 4 trips with it (less than 2 hour drives) so far and it does jerk around back there a little bit but not terribly bad.
If you were towing for many hours it might get a little tiring.
It definitely has more sway than any boat I have ever towed.
I would recommend towing it around for a while and see if it's is in your comfort zone before purchasing WDH.
Old 03-28-2016, 06:45 PM   #39

Towing it around for a while before deciding may be the best advice.
As I said above I don't use a WDH and it tows fine with just a sway bar. Been using this setup for 2 years, and my trips range from 30 min to 3 hour drives.
Keep in mind I've never used a WDH so maybe I'm missing out on something but this setup works fine for my 195bh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-29-2016, 09:20 AM   #40
rvb

Thanks again for all the inputs.

Supposedly the trailer was built last Friday, so should be taking delivery soon.

I've decided to get a hitch. I'll take delivery w just a ball, but wife has already started talking about trips to Gatlinburg or going west. I had past experience towing a couple of u-hauls where everything towed smoothly until I ended up on a down-hill turn through a mountain pass and things suddenly got squirrely. With wife/kids on board seems I might as well not take chances.

I have a Fastway e2 in my amazon cart. Seems it would not be much more work than hooking up just a sway bar each time, plus won't have to worry about it when backing, etc.

-rvb

rvb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch, weight