Old 02-25-2016, 12:54 PM   #1
rvb

weight dist hitch for smaller TT

Hello,

I have a FR 195bh on order. This smaller trailer has a book dry weight of 3000lb, max/loaded 3900lb, and a dry hitch weight of 400lb per the brochure. I'm not 100% sure I need a weight distribution + sway control setup, but I'm looking at them, especially since this is a single-axle.

I'm figuring by the time we load it down, add propane, battery, water, etc. plus stuff in the back of the truck, we are looking at ~6-700lb at the hitch... still not a lot compared to many of the bigger TTs.

Any recommendations? Hoping to not spend a fortune (one of the reasons we went w/ a smaller trailer) and something reasonably easy to install.

I was looking at the Curt Trutrack @ ~$350, but it's a 1klb rated system. Do you think that's too stiff? (note also the Equalizer website recommends a 1k-lb system if I plug 550 tongue weight and 100lb cargo weight into their calculator). This is what I would probably go with if it wouldn't be too stiff...

I was also looking at something more old school like this:
Robot Check
but would be willing to pay a few bucks more for simpler hook-up, easier install and less drilling into the trailer frame, etc...

Towing w/ a 2010 F-150.

thanks for your insights!

-rvb

Old 02-25-2016, 01:41 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvb View Post
Hello,

I have a FR 195bh on order. This smaller trailer has a book dry weight of 3000lb, max/loaded 3900lb, and a dry hitch weight of 400lb per the brochure. I'm not 100% sure I need a weight distribution + sway control setup, but I'm looking at them, especially since this is a single-axle.

I'm figuring by the time we load it down, add propane, battery, water, etc. plus stuff in the back of the truck, we are looking at ~6-700lb at the hitch... still not a lot compared to many of the bigger TTs.

Any recommendations? Hoping to not spend a fortune (one of the reasons we went w/ a smaller trailer) and something reasonably easy to install.

I was looking at the Curt Trutrack @ ~$350, but it's a 1klb rated system. Do you think that's too stiff? (note also the Equalizer website recommends a 1k-lb system if I plug 550 tongue weight and 100lb cargo weight into their calculator). This is what I would probably go with if it wouldn't be too stiff...

I was also looking at something more old school like this:
Robot Check
but would be willing to pay a few bucks more for simpler hook-up, easier install and less drilling into the trailer frame, etc...

Towing w/ a 2010 F-150.

thanks for your insights!

-rvb
I've got that hitch and like it. But if you want to save money, harbor freight has one for $200 on sale plus get the 20%off coupon and save more.

retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 01:14 PM   #3
rvb

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired06 View Post
I've got that hitch and like it. But if you want to save money, harbor freight has one for $200 on sale plus get the 20%off coupon and save more.
Which do you have, the Curt or the Husky?

I usually only trust harbor freight stuff when I only really need it to work one time... but I'll look into it.

thanks,
-rvb
Old 02-26-2016, 01:28 PM   #4

The husky. I like looking at the you tube videos of people who grade harbor freight stuff. Pretty interesting.
retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 01:07 PM   #5

You'll want a WDH. I got my Eaz Lift on Amazon for a good price. Old skool spring bar and chain but it gets the job done.
Old 02-27-2016, 01:28 PM   #6

I personally would not pull any TT without a WD with sway control, no matter what I was towing with. My TT weighs in, dry, at around 3400 lbs.. We travel light so even with battery and propane we don't go much over 4000-4100 lbs. I have a Curt receiver on the TV and a Eaz-Lift WD with a friction sway control bar at the 1000 lb. rating. With this setup towing is so easy that I can forget I'm towing a trailer and have to remind myself to check the rearview mirrors once in a while to see that nothing is wrong.

I don't think $200-$300 is too much for the safety and sense of well being received. Look at it this way, it's only 1.5 - 2 percent, or less, of the purchase price of the trailer.

(Maybe I'm paranoid but .... I have personal experience. I know a guy who thought WD and sway control was a waste of money. Heavy wind caught his trailer and threw it and his TV into the ditch. Killed his wife. 300 bucks might have prevented a tragedy.)
Old 02-27-2016, 01:48 PM   #7
rvb

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastan View Post
My TT weighs in, dry, at around 3400 lbs.. and a Eaz-Lift WD with a friction sway control bar at the 1000 lb. rating.
That was part of what I was trying to understand was whether 1k lb system would be too much for ~600lb tongue weight, so that's for sharing that.

-rvb
Old 02-27-2016, 01:53 PM   #8
rvb

Can I assume a 2 5/16" ball even with the smaller trailer? I've hesitated placing an order till I know for sure (most come w. Ball pre-installed)

-rvb
Old 02-27-2016, 02:01 PM   #9

With a unit that small, why not look at the Andersen WDH. Very light and should work excellent on your set up. Give them a look. Excellent hitch.
2007 Dodge 2500 CDT QCSB/Blue Ox Sway Pro 1500lb WDH, Maxxis 8008 225 x 75 x15 LR E tires/J T Strongarms
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 02:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvb View Post
That was part of what I was trying to understand was whether 1k lb system would be too much for ~600lb tongue weight, so that's for sharing that.

-rvb
That 1k system will be fine with a 600lb tongue weight.

Tags
hitch, weight