Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2018, 08:06 PM   #1

weight distribution?

My TV is a Ford F-150. My TT is a 24' Coachmen Freedom Express. Trailer weighs about 4000 lbs and we have put about 500 pounds of stuff in it. The bed of the truck probably has 200 pounds of stuff. We have an E-2 weight distribution hitch with sway bars that we are fairly sure was positioned properly at the dealer. Today while driving in 40-50 mph crosswinds (dry pavement), I felt I was hydroplaning. Could it have just been the wind? Or my imagination?This is only the third time we have driven this combo and the first time with any winds.
travellvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 09:40 PM   #2

How did your truck sit? Did it appear level or was is squat a little in the rear?

My initial thought was crosswind + nose high (less weight on front wheels) could cause the effect you describe.

Ron
Ron045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 09:49 PM   #3

In 40 to 50 mph crosswinds you are lucky to keep any trailer on the road!
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 09:56 PM   #4

40 - 50 MPH crosswinds will do that but....... I do believe that you would be surprised if you put that trailer on the scales that you would find that it weighs considerately more. Not knowing the exact model or year but I do not think that the weight is going to be closer to 6000 lbs with your gear, propane etc going by their website.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:15 PM   #5

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
40 - 50 MPH crosswinds will do that but....... I do believe that you would be surprised if you put that trailer on the scales that you would find that it weighs considerately more. Not knowing the exact model or year but I do not think that the weight is going to be closer to 6000 lbs with your gear, propane etc going by their website.

From looking at their website I would agree!

There is only one way to know and that is not by assuming or guessing.

Load her up and put everyone in it just like you are going camping and head to the CAT scales.
'17 XLT Screw | Oxford White | FX4 | 3.5L EB | 3.55 ELD | 302A |Chrome Pkg | Max Tow Pkg w/TBC | 36 Gal. Tank | Bak MX4 & BedRug | WeatherTech Deflectors, Floor Liners, & Mud Flaps | VA Navi | SYNC 3 Connect | Tailgate Step & Damper | Husky Liners | Goodyear Wrangler Fortitude HT 275/65R18

My wife and I are looking for our 1st travel trailer.
LynnGlaze13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 02:10 PM   #6

weight distribution

Thanks to all. We have seen signs for the CAT scales but didn't realize that they accommodate RVs. We will get it properly weighed the next time we go out and then make the proper adjustments. Our truck bed has very little in it when we travel so maybe we will put more stuff in there and less in the TT when we are on the move.
travellvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 02:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Our truck bed has very little in it when we travel so maybe we will put more stuff in there and less in the TT when we are on the move.
I don't believe that will help at all, as the rear hitch is probably too much load now. Moving some heavier items from the front of the trailer to a location over the axles of the RV may do the most good. You are trying to remove weight from the rear hitch area (also the front of the trailer)and increase weight on the front tires of the truck. That is not accomplished by loading more into the rear of the truck.

There may also be adjustments to the hitch that will help. Your truck and camper should be all level when adjusted properly.

Not traveling in high crosswinds will also help.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 03:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellvr View Post
Thanks to all. We have seen signs for the CAT scales but didn't realize that they accommodate RVs. We will get it properly weighed the next time we go out and then make the proper adjustments. Our truck bed has very little in it when we travel so maybe we will put more stuff in there and less in the TT when we are on the move.
Here's the CAT scale how to weigh .................... scroll down for RVs and campers

https://catscale.com/how-to-weigh/

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 07:15 PM   #9
llr

Personal opinion if you really had 40-50 MPH crosswinds you are very lucky you didn't wreck even if the hitch is set perfect.
How does it do in little to no wind? A scale is a good idea but I suspect it is pretty good already if even close on wind.
TV 2024 F350 DRW - on order
Prior TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload
llr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:23 PM   #10
Sham183

Get the weight. Hit the scales and know before you go.
mopwr4me2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:37 PM   #11
Always Learning

Quote:

Hope this helps you when you go to weigh. Between it and my towingplanner.com, you should have what you need to dial in your hitch

http://learntorv.com/how-to-weigh-a-travel-trailer/

Note, I didn’t read anything else regarding towing in the wind.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:18 PM   #12

I did not see anyone mention anything about tires. When we purchased our first TT we replaced the P rated tires to 10 ply LT. tires on our tow vehicle. Made a big difference. That’s a lot of wind and not sure tires would have really mattered in that situation but just wanted to give my two cents.
Troy, Josie and our 2 K9 co-pilots Breck and Maggie
USN 86-92
3 nights camped so far in 2020
Hugeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:45 PM   #13
Sham183

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugeez View Post
I did not see anyone mention anything about tires. When we purchased our first TT we replaced the P rated tires to 10 ply LT. tires on our tow vehicle. Made a big difference. That’s a lot of wind and not sure tires would have really mattered in that situation but just wanted to give my two cents.

I also agree with the tires as well. There are so many pieces to this puzzle but you will get it figured out.
mopwr4me2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:26 AM   #14

Realistically, the P or LT tires are about the last thing to worry about in this set up.

Knowing what your truck weighs empty on each axle is a start.

Then, knowing what the tongue weight and trailer weight are is the next step.

After that, you'll reweigh with the WDH engaged and know whether or not it's set correct.

I have concern over an OP stating:

Quote:
...Trailer weighs about 4000 lbs and we have put about 500 pounds of stuff in it. The bed of the truck probably has 200 pounds of stuff....
The OP ownes a trailer with a UVW of 3991 and a GVW of 6000. It's 24'7" long. The truck should be fully capable of towing this trailer with ease.

Quote:
....We have an E-2 weight distribution hitch with sway bars that we are fairly sure was positioned properly at the dealer.....
NEVER....EVER.....EVER....Trust the dealer. They sell things...your money is now in their account...from this moment forward, they don't care. They also set the hitch with an unloaded trailer.

Quote:
....Today while driving in 40-50 mph crosswinds (dry pavement), I felt I was hydroplaning. Could it have just been the wind? Or my imagination?This is only the third time we have driven this combo and the first time with any winds.
Wind will effect how the truck and trailer feel rolling down the road. I have no doubt that you encountered wind and it blew your truck and trailer around. I've had the same. However, I knew from my scale weights going into the windy situation that I was set up correctly. Do yourself a favor and get it weighed. Eyeballing and measuring the fenders is one thing....actual pound numbers tell the complete story.

I used the below spreadsheet and it absolutely helps getting the hitch dialed in for safe travels.

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:00 AM   #15

Towing in crosswinds over 40 mph or even 30 mph is very dangerous, no matter what rig you are pulling. We were pulling in strong crosswinds this past summer and it was a white knuckle ride. We slowed down to 55 mph and that helped but it wasn't fun. Based on tree movement and flags, we were in 20-30 mph crosswinds with gusts to 35 mph. Motorhomes were having trouble and many decided to park. I almost did myself. Some 5ers passed us by but I could see that even they were having difficulty. Next time, I will and so should the OP.
elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight