Old 01-06-2016, 02:01 AM   #1

Weight Distribution Bars, how close should the wieght rating be?

I am going to be pulling a new Rockwood 282 TESP, the camper weighs 3300#, I will be hauling a 700# quad most of the time. I have not been able to verify what my tongue weight will be filly loaded, butIam assuming it should not exceed 500#. I found a real good deal on a Weight Distribution Hitch with 1200# bars. Is this going to be too stiff for my set up?

Old 01-06-2016, 06:51 AM   #2

Yes with the supplied Info,but this is just a WAG also! You need to know weight in order to Size your Bars! Youroo!!

Old 01-06-2016, 11:12 AM   #3

Wow I can't believe the typos in my post, sorry if it makes it hard to read.

So, thank you youroo. I understand I need to know actual weights to get a perfect answer. When researching the size to get, people were asking what size to get if their camper had a 500# hitch weight and the responses were to get the 1000# rated WDH. Due to the way this camper is set up, with the deck to carry 2 quads on the front. I do not have a way to check the actual tongue weight until I get the camper and actually weigh it. The specs say 219# tongue weight, unloaded.
Old 01-06-2016, 11:34 AM   #4

The reason why weight is Important is lots of Dealers just Guess on the W/D-S/C setup for Out the Door! This puts the Owner in a position where when they Load the RV for Down the Road use they have a VERY Different Tongue weight! In your case it is even More so,with Very Little without the Front Deck added Items,and Fully loaded! Most TT or even T/H dont have this Drastic Tongue weight change! Youroo!!
Old 01-06-2016, 12:12 PM   #5

I would be surprised if you can keep the tongue weight below 500lb. If only half of the weight of the quad goes to the tongue you are at 560 lbs without adding your other stuff to the trailer. As youroo has said this is a more difficult weight to guess at because you can have a dramatic difference in tongue weight depending on how much you load on the front. You will have to adjust how you setup your WDH depending on how you load it as well, so I you look at a setup that allows you to adjust the amount of tension on your bars easily. I would say a chain style might be easier as with the equalizer style you would need to unbolt brackets or the hitch head to make adjustments.

Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe
2 Mtn. Bikes
4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 12:23 PM   #6

I have already purchased the WDH I am asking about, I will not have the camper until later this month (or later depending on Upstate NY weather). It is the chain type. I understand my tongue weight might be dramatically different depending on they way it is loaded. I planned on loading it with 2 quads and actually weighing the tongue to see what I have. I may need different settings dependent on those numbers also. Most of the time it will be just the one quad and some gear. I just am afraid I went a little overboard with the 1200# bars.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:42 PM   #7

I just sent Forest River an email asking if they could give me a little more insight as to how the weight is transferred to the hitch as it is loaded. The deck has a 1500# max rating so I figure I need to be set up for that 1st, then back down for my normal uses. The 1st real trip this camper is going to make is probably going to be to WV, with 2 quads on the deck. Thanks for the responses so far, I should have gotten this info before asking the question.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:51 PM   #8

I would say that with 2 700# quads on the deck you will be close to 1000# tongue weight so the 1200# bars are not overboard.

Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe
2 Mtn. Bikes
4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 12:53 PM   #9

Regardless what trailer anyone hooks up to you need 10-15% TW for a pleasnt Tow! Now Hensley or Pro Pride claim a different set of numbers! Youroo!!
Old 01-06-2016, 02:11 PM   #10

Get big enough WDH bars to handle 15% of the GVWR of the trailer. (Ignore dry weight and published dry tongue weights).

2015 RAM 1500 5.7L V8
2015 Coachmen Freedom Express 292BHDS
Loraura is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight