Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2014, 07:24 AM   #1

Weight distribution check

Alright gang, I loaded up the trailer fairly close to what we will run down the road with. Pretty much everything but one four wheeler (little Honda Foreman 450 4X4) and the dogs were loaded. Using an Equalizer four point hitch. My weights came out to:

Truck by itself:
Front axle-3340
Rear axle-2620

With trailer- distribution bars not used:
Front axle-3140
Rear axle-3580

Trailer bogie-6860

With distribution bars hooked up:
Front axle-3300
Rear axle-3320

Trailer bogie-6980

I should've loaded up the four wheeler as this 21WP120 is a front deck toy-hauler and my tongue weight will be affected, but I'll just weigh it on the way out of town.

SO! Do I need to adjust anything or am I good? First TT and first time using distribution hitch.

Thanks in advance!
Joseph
jb3-7-77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 11:28 AM   #2

Great numbers. I assume "Trailer bogie" is the weight of the trailer axle(s) in the specified condition, since the totals for all 3 numbers are within 20 lbs in either condition (good job!).

So by adding the trailer, you removed 200 lbs from the front axle. The goal should be to put all of that weight back on the front axle by engaging the WDH, and you move all but 40 lbs.

That ATV looks to weight 630 lbs based on a quick search. That's approx. 315 lbs of additional TW. Doing some quick calculating from your other numbers, it looks like about 20% of your TW is removed from the front axle [200 / (6800 * 15%)]. Apply that to that 315 value, and the 4-wheeler should remove about another 60 lbs from the front axle.

So, the 40 lbs you were short, plus another 60 lbs from the toy, is about another 100 lbs that you'd need to get back to the front axle.

I would add another washer or 2 to get the head tilted down a bit more.
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 11:41 AM   #3

Thanks Brakeman! Yes, the bogie is both trailer axles.

I think you are spot on with the four wheeler. I ran out of time before leaving to re-weigh everything, but driving down the interstate I noticed the truck was "heaving" more after going over bumps, which leads me to believe the front axle was lighter than it should be. I pulled over and raised the L-brackets by one hole (had to use the lever to get them on after doing this) and the ride felt much better after doing this. Also, since I didn't have a scale close-by, I just measured the fender height and I was at the original height after doing this. My rear axle was three inches low, so I think airbags will be installed this winter. After running 180 miles down the road the rear tires were only six degrees warmer than the front tires, so I don't think they were loaded too badly. Thoughts?
jb3-7-77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight