Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2012, 04:12 PM   #1

Weight distribution hitch

I finally settled on a trailer (thanks to many of you who have answered my questions before, you were a big help) and got the dealer to throw in a weight distribution hitch, along with a few other things. I specifically said I wanted a 4 point WD hitch with sway control. However, I'm new to this and I've seen many types of hitches on the internet. Some have bars from the hitch that pin to a bracket on the trailer. Some have bars that are attached via a chain hanging down from the trailer.

My question is what are the differences between these type hitches. What I'm trying to avoid is the dealer installing a cheap hitch and just saying it's what I need.
cdbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:24 PM   #2

Yep, lots of differences between hitches. My opinion is I would ask the dealer to specifically tell you what brand hitch and model they intend to install and then report back. I guarantee my dealer wouldn't give a cr@9 what they were installing just to save a few bucks. It's better to get it right in the beginning.
punkaccountant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdbus View Post
I finally settled on a trailer (thanks to many of you who have answered my questions before, you were a big help) and got the dealer to throw in a weight distribution hitch, along with a few other things. I specifically said I wanted a 4 point WD hitch with sway control. However, I'm new to this and I've seen many types of hitches on the internet. Some have bars from the hitch that pin to a bracket on the trailer. Some have bars that are attached via a chain hanging down from the trailer.

My question is what are the differences between these type hitches. What I'm trying to avoid is the dealer installing a cheap hitch and just saying it's what I need.

What is the trailer model & weight? and tow vehicle model? Thats probably a pretty good start.

The Equal-I-zer is the brand that has 4pt sway. Not sure if any others do it. Fastway E2 is made by the same company but has a 2pt sway control. If you dont want the roundbar "chain" style, then you want the "trunnion" style.

Trunnion is sway built in by friction on the arms. (Arm sits on L bracket)
Roundbar style you would need a separate sway arm for sway control. (easier to adjust if needed)

I use the Fastway E2 trunnion style and love it. It's easy to hook up...all you have to do is hitch up and raise the trailer and truck with the tongue jack about 3" over reg height and the bars can easily be lifted into place. There are usually no ground clearance issue's with them either because the bars are up higher.

Either way you go just make sure you get the proper weight rating. If you have a 4500lb trailer, a 12000lb hitch isnt going to serve you well.

TV = 2016 F-150 5.0L SCREW
Pit Crew: DW (Robin)
Kids: 9yo DD (Riley), 5yo DD (Kennedy)
Security: Boxer (Harley), yorkie (Willow)
BlakeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:43 PM   #4

Ok, some more information.

I'm buying a Surveyor SV-291 and pulling it with a 2009 Ford F-150 5.4 3.73 gears with tow package.

I wanted a Equal-i-zer 4 point hitch with sway control thrown in. The dealer agreed. Now he calls me today and says that the installation guy says that is too much hitch for this trailer and will not pull properly. He now wants to install a EaZ-Lift roundbar (type with the chains that hang down) hitch. Which I notice is considerablely cheaper. And don't know if this type hitch has sway control. Does his claim of "too much hitch" have merit, or is he just trying to go the cheaper route.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:47 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdbus

I'm buying a Surveyor SV-291 and pulling it with a 2009 Ford F-150 5.4 3.73 gears with tow package.

I wanted a Equal-i-zer 4 point hitch with sway control thrown in. The dealer agreed. Now he calls me today and says that the installation guy says that is too much hitch for this trailer and will not pull properly. He now wants to install a EaZ-Lift roundbar (type with the chains that hang down) hitch. Which I notice is considerablely cheaper. And don't know if this type hitch has sway control. Does his claim of "too much hitch" have merit, or is he just trying to go the cheaper route.
Smells like fish around here.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:56 PM   #6

I thought so too.

I'm just wanting to know the main differences between the two hitches, if one has a significant advantage over the other, do both style hitches have sway control ect. ect.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:41 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Don't let the dealer talk you out of the Equal-i-zer 4pt !!!

I don't think the Eaz-Lift has any type of sway control. With that length of trailer, you would need 2 friction sway control bars.....and it would still not be as good as the Equal-i-zer. The Equal-i-zer would definitely not be too much hitch with that trailer, unless you got too heavy of spring bars. The 1000 lb. bars would probably do you well. The 1200 or 1400 bars would be overkill.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:17 PM   #8

The service guy is most likely trying to deliver with what he has in stock, and he may not have the 10K version of the equalizer, "tell him to order it" they can have it delivered in 48 hours. I agree the 12 or 14K version would be to much for your setup. Do not let them talk you into something else that you will not be as happy with.

Good luck
2023 Road Glide ST
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdbus View Post

Hogwash. Do not compromise. If your deal was for an Equal-i-zer, get it. You will not regret the decision.
Signed,
A former Reese WD with chains and separate anti-sway user.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:22 PM   #10

Use the Equalizer hitch calculation tool to determine the hitch you need. Click ==>( Hitch Sizes ) Then click on the "Store" tab on their site and see the pricing. Be sure to include a shank and hitch ball in your $ figures. Hold your ground!
Old 05-31-2012, 10:31 PM   #11

I agree, stick with the Equal-i-zer! You wont be sorry.

2017 Dodge 2500 Crew Cab 6.7L Cummins 4X4 38k mls
2010 Forest River Flagstaff 831QBSS - Equal-i-zer Hitch
2011 HD FatboyLo & 2000 Honda Shadow 1100
Nights Camped 2010 (7), 2011 (15), 2012 (35) 2013 (40) 2014 (22) 2015 (12) 2016 (10) 2017 (10) 2018 (10)
troyt is offline   Reply With Quote